With new Tvs are HTPCs needed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 136 Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used to have a 50 LCD projection and used to watch all my movies thou my HTPC
now I have a Samsung Plasma with USB, and do all my movie viewing On a 16 GB usb stick I load my 12 GB Blu ray movies on that stick and watch them. Its incredible how a 3 INCH USB stick replaces a big HTPC.

Question is, is there any reason to keep my HTPC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 09-24-2013, 10:24 PM

Liked: 15
If that's all you're using it for, then no.

But if you're using it for other things:

*Recording TV shows
*Streaming TV and movies
*Playing optical blurays
*Playing games
etc etc

TV's are getting quite smart, but they don't yet offer all the functionality everyone needs.

Another question is; If my TV support's streaming movies natively using apps- do I need a USB stick?

It's all about abstraction and what you need out of your devices.
post #3 of 136 Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I definitely need the HTPC for recording TV programs.
post #4 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Fong View Post

now I have a Samsung Plasma with USB, and do all my movie viewing On a 16 GB usb stick I load my 12 GB Blu ray movies on that stick and watch them. Its incredible how a 3 INCH USB stick replaces a big HTPC.

There are a lot of reasons to still use an HTPC, streaming movies, TV shows, recording TV, not having to keep copying a movie to a USB stick to watch it.

David
post #5 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Even I like a lot smart tvs, There is no comparison.

Htpc's Flexibility is something that no other device can compete
post #6 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kano View Post

If that's all you're using it for, then no.

But if you're using it for other things:

*Recording TV shows
*Streaming TV and movies
*Playing optical blurays
*Playing games
etc etc

TV's are getting quite smart, but they don't yet offer all the functionality everyone needs.

Another question is; If my TV support's streaming movies natively using apps- do I need a USB stick?

It's all about abstraction and what you need out of your devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

There are a lot of reasons to still use an HTPC, streaming movies, TV shows, recording TV, not having to keep copying a movie to a USB stick to watch it.

David

- Recording TV Shows, I dont record any shows, but if I did instead of an HTPC I can record them on a settop box like the Sonicview 8000 it records them on a stick and can record Dish, and OTA shows. or record them on a desktop PC for editing archiving and later viewing.

-Streaming TV, movies, with P2P would would anyone sign up for a streaming service?
I can put several episodes of a series on a USB stick and watch them, like im doing now Im watching 2 episodes per day on a stick

-Playing Optical Blu Rays. I can download rips on P2P.

-Playing games fortunately Im 38 and just grew out of playing them about 5 years ago, haven't played a video game since even GTA V would bore me.
post #7 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Lots of devices do streaming now, from roku, to smart TV's, to blu-ray players. Home theater PC's are good for a free DVR and storing music and movies, 16gb vs a 4TB hard drive.
post #8 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM

I haven't seen a Smart TV that can come anywhere near the speed and beauty of a 10-foot interface like XBMC
post #9 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Why a USB stick? Why not get a 4TB external USB drive? Also, don't most smart TVs offer DLNA streaming?

post #10 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Why a USB stick? Why not get a 4TB external USB drive? Also, don't most smart TVs offer DLNA streaming?

I have a cheap plasma that just has a USB stick, but 4TB hard drives is more for archiving stuff, I only watch stuff once and then I delete
post #11 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:

On a 16 GB usb stick I load my 12 GB Blu ray movies
Some people don't want to get up, unplug the drive from the TV, plug it into the computer, wait for the file to copy, unplug it from the computer, plug it back into the TV every time they want to watch a movie. Or they want to have a different interface or tweak it slightly different than the one option the manufacturer decided on. Or they want something that will be supported longer than a year from now.
Quote:
Its incredible how a 3 INCH USB stick replaces a big HTPC.
It's an apples to oranges comparison. The USB stick is just a storage medium. A HTPC is that and a lot more. It's like comparing a wheelbarrow to a dump truck.
post #12 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

For single-file video purposes, TV DLNA might work. For gapless audio-only content (concerts, opera, Pink Floyd) HTPC is still the most reliable solution.
post #13 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

It's an apples to oranges comparison. The USB stick is just a storage medium. A HTPC is that and a lot more. It's like comparing a wheelbarrow to a dump truck.

I agree, though for the needs of the OP a wheelbarrow will get the job done since he only wants to move a few bags of dirt around. I want to move a mountain, so I need the dump truck. smile.gif
post #14 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I personally wouldn't enjoy copy/pasting a video to a USB stick, then deleting and repeating that process for every video I ever wanted to watch

I know samsung smart tvs can use Plex. That's probably the closest I'd come to settling for a smart tv w/o an htpc

DLNA streaming was such a boondoggle for container / codec support. I don't really know about today, but MKV was NOT supported in 2010 by LG, Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Vizio, Panasonic. Even when the container is supported they were pretty low in the decoding arena as well (MPEG2/VC1 were out AFAIK)
post #15 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Why even both with USB stick if you have load it up with movies on the PC and then plug into the TV, might as well just play the dic from the player.

So, no, smart TV's are not smart enough to replace HTPC.

With HTPC we can go from viewing live TV, to recorded TV, to Netflix, to HULU, to youtube, to downloaded movies (legal in Sweden, ha ha ha), to ripped movies, to listening to music, to listening to radio, to viewing video clips, to viewing family photos... without having to switch inputs, or physically inserting media, and on all TV's in the house, not just one.

It is all in one place easily accebile with a remote.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #16 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I think a smart tv can be a great htpc compliment. Some have nicer interfaces for Netflix, Pandora, fantasy football, sports scores, email/breaking news, and all the other things we try making our pcs do.

For me the biggest attraction of the htpc was a getting everything (cable box, movie player, online video) into a single tv input. And thats still the case with a smart tv - it overlays their interface over your video source. You can watch a Netflix movie and go right back to live tv watching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #17 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I think a smart tv can be a great htpc compliment. Some have nicer interfaces for Netflix, Pandora, fantasy football, sports scores, email/breaking news, and all the other things we try making our pcs do.

For me the biggest attraction of the htpc was a getting everything (cable box, movie player, online video) into a single tv input. And thats still the case with a smart tv - it overlays their interface over your video source. You can watch a Netflix movie and go right back to live tv watching.

I am having the same experience. And I will add that even when I didn't have a smart TV, things like Netflix, Pandora, Rhapsody, VUDU, Hulu and even weather weren't well integrated with my HTPC as any long time user of W7MC knows. Depending on the app, we'd need to open a browser or deal with a buggy add-in or just not find anything at all (weather). Now with these apps on the TV, it's great because I can interact with all of them via remote, they work well and the PQ and SQ are much better than what was available on the HTPC. Thanks to my Harmony remote, it's one button push to switch over the AVR input and the mode on the remote to use the smart apps on the TV.

post #18 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Are you getting HD Audio tracks with that?

If I were you, I'd keep the HTPC for sure as it does much more than any smart TV can hope to do currently.

post #19 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I personally wouldn't enjoy copy/pasting a video to a USB stick, then deleting and repeating that process for every video I ever wanted to watch

I know samsung smart tvs can use Plex. That's probably the closest I'd come to settling for a smart tv w/o an htpc

DLNA streaming was such a boondoggle for container / codec support. I don't really know about today, but MKV was NOT supported in 2010 by LG, Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Vizio, Panasonic. Even when the container is supported they were pretty low in the decoding arena as well (MPEG2/VC1 were out AFAIK)

No one who owns content would. He's downloading TV shows and movies directly to the USB stick, watching it and deleting it.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #20 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

No one who owns content would. He's downloading TV shows and movies directly to the USB stick, watching it and deleting it.

Where did you garner this information?

post #21 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Why would you rip a Blu-ray, compress down to the size of your USB stick, copy to stick, then try playing from stick? Just insert said disc into player.

post #22 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have a cheap plasma that just has a USB stick, but 4TB hard drives is more for archiving stuff, I only watch stuff once and then I delete

You can use an HTPC with local network access to make this whole process much smoother than moving stuff to a thumb drive to go play it. Once it is on the storage drive (I'm up to nearly 20TB now) you can just play it through your network on the HTPC connected to an AVR and HDTV via HDMI... Elegant. If you are using a USB stick you might as well play the disc in a disc player.

post #23 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Why would you rip a Blu-ray, compress down to the size of your USB stick, copy to stick, then try playing from stick? Just insert said disc into player.

There is still nothing to indicate any downloading is going on here, only utilizing a very cumbersome method to watch Blu-ray content.

post #24 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Seriously? That's what he said he was doing.
Quote:

I can download rips on P2P.
Sammy2 likes this.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #25 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is still nothing to indicate any downloading is going on here, only utilizing a very cumbersome method to watch Blu-ray content.

Right. Then I suggest he use the original Blu-ray disc. rolleyes.gif

post #26 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Quote:

Seriously? That's what he said he was doing.
Quote:

I can download rips on P2P.

Well, F me!!

I had only read the first post. I would never directly admit such a thing in an on line forum.

post #27 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Well, F me!!

I had only read the first post. I would never directly admit such a thing in an on line forum.

Both are illegal fwiw.
Sammy2 likes this.

post #28 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

-Streaming TV, movies, with P2P would would anyone sign up for a streaming service?
I can put several episodes of a series on a USB stick and watch them, like im doing now Im watching 2 episodes per day on a stick
convenience.
with your p2p/usb stick method, if you get done watching episode #2 and decide "hey lets sneak in a quick ep #3" you are screwed... you need to run back to PC, see if it is actually d/loaded yet (or even queued up to d/load), transfer it to usb (if currently available), etc...
with Netflix/amazon/etc, you just click next...
why would any reasonably intelligent sane person even bother with P2P? (assuming required content is available at streaming service of choice, of course if it is not available, then P2P becomes a pretty good option)

convenience trumps all...
Quote:

-Playing games fortunately Im 38 and just grew out of playing them about 5 years ago, haven't played a video game since even GTA V would bore me.
must suck to be you... what does it feel like when joy and wonder die within you?

I am older than 38 unfortunately, but video games still provide me with amusement...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #29 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Both are illegal fwiw.
legality depends entirely on country of residence

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #30 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post

I haven't seen a Smart TV that can come anywhere near the speed and beauty of a 10-foot interface like XBMC

+1

IMHO, no other front end (Plex, Roku, TV apps etc.) can touch something like Windows Media Center tricked out with Keef's* Neo Windows Media Center themes and matching MediaBrowser themes by Chef*

*I think it was Keef and Chef who whipped that stuff up, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List