Anyone using Private internet access vpn - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm looking for a vpn service. I've been doing some research about services that don't log ip and have good speed.

Is anyone using Private internet access for vpn?

What company does everyone recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Privatvpn
post #3 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22

+1 for PrivatVPN:   https://www.privatvpn.se/en/

OpenVPN, great support staff and full connection speeds - they're the only VPN provider that I've used wherein I can saturate my 55 mbps download speed while connected to VPN.

Remember, there's no "E" at the end of "Privat".

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #4 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 10

I used Private Internet Access VPN for one month. Worked great and I've read VPN reviews online and it was one of the ones listed as a great choice for anonymity as they don't keep records of IP addresses that use their service.

I was very happy with the exception of the sporadic speeds. At times as high as my local ISP 50 mbps bandwidth, but as low as 2-3 mbps per second depending on time of day and which server your using.

I've also tried pureVPN. Faster speeds for sure, but less anonymity and more expensive.

I'm still in the process of trying difference VPN's to find one that fits my needs at a reasonable price.

-DylanFromCanada

hometechprojects.com

My HTPC: Mini-Box M350 w/ 150W PICOPSU • ASUS P8H77-I mITX • Intel G2120 Dual Core 3.1GHz Ivy Bridge • Corsair DDR3 1333 Value 2x4GB • OCZ Vertex II 60GB SSD • Logitech Wireless K400 Keyboard • Logitech Harmony One • OpenELEC/XBMC

post #5 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Doesn't privatvpn keep logs of your ip?
post #6 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd veeps View Post

Doesn't privatvpn keep logs of your ip?

Nope.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM

VPN Services That Take Your Anonymity Seriously, 2013 Edition

Quote from Article on TorrentFreak.com:
Private Internet Access

1. We absolutely do not maintain any VPN logs of any kind. We utilize shared IP addresses rather than dynamic or static IPs, so it is not possible to match a user to an external IP. These are some of the many solutions we have implemented to enable the strongest levels of anonymity amongst VPN services.

-DylanFromCanada

hometechprojects.com

My HTPC: Mini-Box M350 w/ 150W PICOPSU • ASUS P8H77-I mITX • Intel G2120 Dual Core 3.1GHz Ivy Bridge • Corsair DDR3 1333 Value 2x4GB • OCZ Vertex II 60GB SSD • Logitech Wireless K400 Keyboard • Logitech Harmony One • OpenELEC/XBMC

post #8 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

I'm looking for a vpn service. I've been doing some research about services that don't log ip and have good speed.

Is anyone using Private internet access for vpn?

What company does everyone recommend?

I'd recommend PIA

Great speed, lots of support, good privacy, let you pay with bitcoins

Subscriptions can be as low as $32/yr if your timing is right http://slickdeals.net/f/6067642-private-internet-access-20-off-vpn-service-32-year-or-5-50-per-month

No speed issues for me, but I run their OpenVPN config on a linux VM rather than their client app

Their client app is built for security, but it gets in the way of too many other things. Users in this thread and forum have seen PMs from me asking if they had issues with things like HDHR Prime communicating with NPVR or Flexraid webui while using the client app. I've never gotten a straight answer on their forums about it, so I just went the OpenVPN route instead. No problems thereafter
post #9 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Nope.

What does this mean. These two statements on their FAQ page. One says they log IP addresses on incoming connections in the US but then is says they do not log any IP numbers in our US-based servers.

3. Do you log any data traffic while browsing the net through PrivatVPN?
We NEVER produce logs of any data traffic. The only thing we store is your username, password and your e-mail address.

With the exception of our servers in the U.S. where we log IP addresses on incoming connections.

Then it says
8. Do you log any IP numbers on the server in the U.S.?
No, we do not log any IP numbers in our US-based servers.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They used to only log in the US servers only (meaning when you connected to a server based in the US). They no longer do this however.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I roll my own VPN by creating one on my server which runs Server 2008 R2. I have my own domain and SSL and works nicely. Im just not very trusting of commercial providers.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They used to only log in the US servers only (meaning when you connected to a server based in the US). They no longer do this however.

Looks like privatvpn is the way to go. Do you know how many devices they support? Or does running it on one pc protect the entire network. Do they have ios support? Their site doesn't have much info.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 AM

I can't remember if it was 3 or 5 connections at one time (it should say on their site) and yes it worked fine on my iPhone, I would assume the same would be true for an iPad.

-DylanFromCanada

hometechprojects.com

post #14 of 28 Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Used PIA for a month and I loved it. The experience was mostly positive with the rare speed hiccups. The client is stupid easy to use as well, both on my PC and Nexus 7. I will buy an 1yr subscription soon.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:

Which location do you use ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #16 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Which location do you use ?

Usually the default.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
/tinfoilhat -on

So which of these companies are NSA shells?

/tinfoilhat -off
post #18 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up getting privatvpn today. Pretty easy to use. Downloaded a couple tv shows and speed didn't seem to suffer either.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What price did it cost you ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #20 of 28 Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post

+1 for PrivatVPN:   https://www.privatvpn.se/en/

OpenVPN, great support staff and full connection speeds - they're the only VPN provider that I've used wherein I can saturate my 55 mbps download speed while connected to VPN.

Remember, there's no "E" at the end of "Privat".

That is quite the download speed :eek: 

I have a friend who uses bolehvpn and recommends it. They have a very good privacy policy from what I read.

As to how much these services actually protect you from a determined adversary, who can say for sure?

post #21 of 28 Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

That is quite the download speed :eek:

I have a friend who uses bolehvpn and recommends it. They have a very good privacy policy from what I read.

As to how much these services actually protect you from a determined adversary, who can say for sure?

Thanks! Yeah, I used to have 105 mpbs download, but never really found the need for that much speed, especially at $115.00 USD/month. If I had multiple people living in my domicile, and could split up the costs (and the bandwidth) then it'd be worth it.

TBH, the only determined adversary's I'd be worried about are the broadband providers themselves.

That being said, I used to work for a provider as a broadband installer/configuration tech in three different regions. I worked with closely with folks from all different departments at said provider. No one I worked with had the time to hunt down people using a whole ton of bandwidth. The staff that would probably "own" the "hunt-down-the-heavy-bandwidth-users-and-possible-content-pirates" process didn't have the inclination to do so (that staff being the Information Security/Fraud team).

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #22 of 28 Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 AM

~~Recently I have been receiving warnings from Trend Micro that Private Internet Access is not trustworthy. I have tried to have them removed from Trend's no trust list but to no avail. I ran a deep computer scan this morning and ADW_OPENCANDY spyware was found in RealPlayer software. The originating infection came from www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/servers. Trend removed this infection and I am about to uninstall PIA. This also explains why after contacting PIA many times about this they have only returned vague responses with nothing positive about trying to have themselves removed from Trend's dangerous list. That is what I know and I am just passing it on for you to evaluate for yourselves.

post #23 of 28 Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I just signed up for PIA a few weeks ago when they were running the special linked above at slickdeals.net. I still don't have it configured properly for use with pfSense and it has throttled my download speed and the number of simultaneous connections as a result. I expect that will improve considerably once I get it set up correctly. I haven't seen any problems using it with my HDHR's.

AFAIK, a VPN only hides your IP address and it doesn't filter out whatever you're downloading. If you've got spyware embedded in a web link then it's probably going to get passed through to your PC. I'm no expert on networking by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't expect it to protect me from and sites that will pass along little nasties like that. That's what your AV software is for. The spyware likely did not originate from the PIA servers but rather just passed it along with whatever you downloaded or linked to.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM

You miss the point. The spayware is in the PIA homepage. That is why Trend blocks it. I requested several times for Trend to reevaluate this site and they did. It comes back as a dangerous site and it is. The software to block your IP may be itself OK, but to get to it you have to go to their home page and that is where the spyware is hiding. It is not coming from somewhere else. The people who write the reviews for the online magazines are nothing but profiteers. One write a review and the others plagiarize it and repeat it like parrots. You can't trust them. If you can find the operating software on another site like softpedia without going through their website I believe that you would be safe. Since you apparently did go through their homepage I suggest that you run your antivirus for your own safety.
post #25 of 28 Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You have 2 posts and your user name is Don't use. I am not sure I trust you.
pd veeps likes this.

-

post #26 of 28 Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I run my antivirus program almost daily and it hasn't detected anything from the PIA web page. I suspect your AV program is giving you a false positive, which isn't all that uncommon.

BTW, what's spayware? Is this something you neuter your dog with?
Mfusick likes this.
post #27 of 28 Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ended up getting privatvpn today. Pretty easy to use. Downloaded a couple tv shows and speed didn't seem to suffer either.

$8.95/month. I'm happy with the service having used it a few months.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Use View Post

You miss the point. The spayware is in the PIA homepage. That is why Trend blocks it. I requested several times for Trend to reevaluate this site and they did. It comes back as a dangerous site and it is. The software to block your IP may be itself OK, but to get to it you have to go to their home page and that is where the spyware is hiding. It is not coming from somewhere else. The people who write the reviews for the online magazines are nothing but profiteers. One write a review and the others plagiarize it and repeat it like parrots. You can't trust them. If you can find the operating software on another site like softpedia without going through their website I believe that you would be safe. Since you apparently did go through their homepage I suggest that you run your antivirus for your own safety.

I've used them for a while, I have no ADW_OPENCANDY spyware on my computers. There is nothing like that on their homepage

The information you are spreading is either intentionally misleading and libellous OR you are extremely misinformed but posting as if you were

Trend Micro is not a huge name in AV. Most noobs complain about all the key_patchers and batch files that get labeled as "malicious" or "trojan" by their noob lifetime subscription to FreeAVG (which I'm sure was highly touted by some place on the internet just as Trend Micro is yet somewhere else). Yet to come out at a VPN provider's homepage is something else entirely. If you've never heard of DNS cache poisoning, then you will likely continue to make such claims about many common websites and others will continue to scratch their heads as to why you are trying to provide information. At this point you should be looking for what's happened rather than trusting the first piece of anti-spy, anti-virus, anti-ad software you came across
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page