Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC?

• Yes

Votes: 66 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 74 52.9%

Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC?

7K views 103 replies 42 participants last post by  ES_Revenge 
#1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading my HTPC system. Currently using an AMD A-8 and switching to the new Intel Haswell i3-4130T. Is anything going to break if i switch to Windows 8?

What I need

TMT5 to watch Bluray iso's

WMP to watch mkv's and other video formats

Netflix HD

Amazon On Demand

Hulu

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc#post_23797660

There are only one change in WIndows 8 Media Center over Windows 7. In Windows 8 they removed the option to "Start Windows Media Center when windows starts".
Microsoft Xbox 360 is the only extender that is supported in Windows 8 Media Center PC. Third-party extenders that work with earlier versions of Windows won’t work with Windows 8.

#30 ·
Really been unimpressed by the Windows 8 platform. There may be some new aspects to it that make it a little easier to navigate, but the touch screen and app center is simply a giant Start menu that would be better placed where Windows usually places it. Doesn't anyone else find it's glitchy and unreliable? But then, I think I've got the first version of Windows 8.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieatHome  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc#post_23799388

Really been unimpressed by the Windows 8 platform. There may be some new aspects to it that make it a little easier to navigate, but the touch screen and app center is simply a giant Start menu that would be better placed where Windows usually places it. Doesn't anyone else find it's glitchy and unreliable? But then, I think I've got the first version of Windows 8.

The Start menu doesn't give me a dashboard summarizing information from multiple sources I'm interested in (mail, calendar, weather, RSS feeds, news, sports, stocks). Everything else I have live tiles disabled for, but having those 7 tiles is extremely useful to me. I can't imagine going back to Windows 7.

#33 ·
If you get a lot of use out of the tiles and feeds, I can see why it would be useful. For me, If I need to get to the Control Panel, My Computer, etc., I have to jump to another screen. This is a hassle if I'm using full-screen for something, and I'd rather just take it out of full-screen and let it run. When I want to create a shortcut, it has to be on the desktop, since there's no place for a list to be compiled on the desktop. It just clutters up the screen. I just really liked having everything accessible from that one screen, and not having to move back and forth from screen to screen.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieatHome  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc/30#post_23799465

SlantNGo, are you using a touch screen with the platform?

No touch screen. I use a Logitech K400r keyboard--the touchpad supports gestures and edge swipes, which has made things a bit easier than just pounding a mouse into the corners. With that being said I don't know why one would use a mouse with an HTPC.

A few others have showed how they use the Start screen as a launcher for the HTPC. A lot of my pinned tiles are shortcuts to streaming content. I purchase subscriptions to MLS's streaming service, a streaming service for my favorite Bundesliga soccer team, and I got NFL Sunday Ticket streaming through the Madden 25 anniversary deal.

While I don't see the value of Windows 8 in the workplace on a desktop PC with a mouse, I think it obviously has great value for a tablet, and almost as good for an HTPC.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc#post_23797660

That is incorrect. The Version numbers in Windows 8 Media Center and Windows 7 are the SAME.

They most decidedly are not the same. To quote myself from 5/26/13:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage 

To be more precise, the version you can buy as an add on to Windows 8 is 6.2.9200.16384 The most up to date version running on Windows 7 is 6.1.7601.17514.

(Don't you hate it when someone is running both versions and can easily look it up?)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/official-ceton-echo-extender-info-thread/7650#post_23359355

EDIT: I also just verified these numbers are still accurate as of today.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc/0_100#post_23814092

This would make Windows 8 Metro UI very usable as a 10' interface if it works: http://touchmote.net/
Cool idea, but you can do this today with MobileMouse and no extra hardware (works exactly like a Gyration mouse). What is hopeful about this is that remote friendly hooks are theoretically possible. Hopefully someone will come up with something soon.

EDIT: Has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a Win 8 on my HTPC anymore, but this should give you navigation by the arrow keys on a remote.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windows8/use-numeric-keypad.aspx

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc/30#post_23814319

Cool idea, but you can do this today with MobileMouse and no extra hardware (works exactly like a Gyration mouse). What is hopeful about this is that remote friendly hooks are theoretically possible. Hopefully someone will come up with something soon.

EDIT: Has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a Win 8 on my HTPC anymore, but this should give you navigation by the arrow keys on a remote.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windows8/use-numeric-keypad.aspx

These appear to just be mouse solutions. I am sure my existing RF keyboard and mouse will work Win8 but the mouse isn't the ideal way to use the Metro UI. The Wiimote solution has a touch mode that lets you perform touch and swipe actions which is it's appeal. Also, saying it requires no extra hardware assumes you have an iPhone or Android phone.

Anyway, not recommending this or saying it's the ultimate or best, but it's an interesting approach. I am hoping to find more touch emulator hardware that can be used at 10'.

#46 ·
I think it should be 6.3.9600.16384 (at least that's what it is on my Win 8.1 computer). TBH, WMC is just spitting out the full build number for Windows 8.1. 6.3.9600.16384 is just the NT version and full build number for Windows 8.1, the same as 6.2.9200.16384 for Win 8 and 6.1.7601.17514 for Win 7 SP1. In fact, on the "Software Version" page, I think the "Version" belongs to the "Windows 8.1/8/7" right above it, rather than being a version number for WMC. Nice power of 2 build number though

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc/30#post_23890372

I think it should be 6.3.9600.16384 (at least that's what it is on my Win 8.1 computer). TBH, WMC is just spitting out the full build number for Windows 8.1. 6.3.9600.16384 is just the NT version and full build number for Windows 8.1, the same as 6.2.9200.16384 for Win 8 and 6.1.7601.17514 for Win 7 SP1. In fact, on the "Software Version" page, I think the "Version" belongs to the "Windows 8.1/8/7" right above it, rather than being a version number for WMC. Nice power of 2 build number though

Yes, it is 9600, a typo on my part. I will change my post.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc/30#post_23890844

Don't confuse him with the facts, he's the only one here convinced that MS is still doing active dev work on WMC.

Yeah, recompiling software in a new version of .net is not a change at all (Win8 WMC uses .net 40, not sure if they compiled it again with Win8.1). Nope, no developers were involved in doing that work. Developers never are involved when recompiling software using different tools, right...right?

You are one of those people who confuse version changes with new features. Version changes have never required new features to be added.

#50 ·
Active dev work != recompiling software (which is most likely automated). You're the only one here that thinks WMC is still under active development, which means new features to everyone except you. There are no new features in 8.1, and there won't be any more, ever, because MS disbanded the eHome dev team. And btw, the Xbone will not be a WMC extender.

At best all we're going to get going forward is bug fixes, and IMO that will only happen for showstopper bugs.

The bottom line is that for anyone here happy with WMC7 and using an HTPC solely for WMC, there is little to no reason to use 8 or 8.1 and good reasons not to.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit  /t/1492282/are-you-using-windows-8-as-a-htpc/30#post_23894843

Active dev work != recompiling software (which is most likely automated). You're the only one here that thinks WMC is still under active development, which means new features to everyone except you. There are no new features in 8.1, and there won't be any more, ever, because MS disbanded the eHome dev team. And btw, the Xbone will not be a WMC extender.

At best all we're going to get going forward is bug fixes, and IMO that will only happen for showstopper bugs.

Yes, actually it does. You obviously have never worked in software creation nor know anyone who does. The Janitor does not compile software, a software developer does it. Recompiling software is development work - there will be problems found during it (most likely) which need to be fixed. It has to pass QA testing, on and on.

Bug fixes would show active developer work as well for the same reasons.
Quote:
The bottom line is that for anyone here happy with WMC7 and using an HTPC solely for WMC, there is little to no reason to use 8 or 8.1 and good reasons not to.

Agreed. My HTPC is staying on Win7. Win7 works well and is supported greatly by the HTPC community.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.