Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC?
Yes 51 49.04%
No 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

XBMC's compiled nightlies/monthly/commit based releases use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_(software)

Also, nice analogy

CI is great, but if there are no changes it does nothing. Someone has to feed it something new for anything to happen (other than the check to see if there is anything new to integrate). If there is no development, CI does nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The Win 8 Netflix app doesn't even support profiles yet, nor does it support a remote.
it does now support remote with this script - check this post for more info: Windows 8 - Netflix App or WMC plug-in?
post #63 of 70 Old 10-15-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As long as the thread got bumped, I answered no, but it's based on "if it ain't broke. . . ." I've got nothing against Win8, but with everything working on my HTPC I saw no need to upgrade, particularly where faster boot time is not at all important.

One of my HP machines I did upgrade had never woke up from sleep well, even when stock. Win8 changed that. My concern would be Win8 might have the opposite effect on my HTPC, and that would be disaster. I want my HTPC to sleep!
post #64 of 70 Old 10-15-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholgate View Post
it does now support remote with this script - check this post for more info: Windows 8 - Netflix App or WMC plug-in?
This is actually a pretty huge breakthrough. I imagine this could also be adapted to make other Metro apps remote/keyboard friendly. Well done!
post #65 of 70 Old 10-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
This is actually a pretty huge breakthrough. I imagine this could also be adapted to make other Metro apps remote/keyboard friendly. Well done!
no problem. I've been using this method for the last month without any issues.
post #66 of 70 Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Sort of OT, but I've had Win8 since it first came out, and I finally found a useful Metro app. Their built in Mail app!

I use Outlook for my main email, but I have a couple of other email accounts I like to monitor. I've been using Thunderbird, but didn't really like it, and then it started acting up. I tried downloading MSFT Live Essentials, but it wouldn't open (which a Google search of the error code indicates is a common problem, apparently). Then using the Win8 Search function I noticed the Metro Mail app.

Very light weight and very fast. You can even customize it a surprising amount, to add signatures and such.

Maybe this isn't so OT though. It would actually be a rather good Mail client for an HTPC that you didn't do much emailing with.
post #67 of 70 Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Looks like an oldish thread, but active again so I'll say this. I'm actually surprised no one else has said it...

I use Windows 7 for my HTPC. I would have switched/upgraded to 8 on it a long time ago but there's exactly one reason I haven't done this. Despite all the complains and belly-aching over 8, it does have a lot of useful computing features (ultra fast startup, being able to schedule TRIMs on SSDs with the disk optimiser (and the optimiser actually supporting SSDs at all), having better Netflix functionality, as a few examples) that make it better than 7.

However the one and only reason I won't switch to 8 on my HTPC is the horrible/lack of font smoothing in Windows 8 (and 8.1). I just don't get it but the "font smoothing" it does is not smoothing at all, it's nothing like in versions of Windows since XP. Instead it just looks like I'm using Windows 9x (actually I don't know what that would look like on a modern display but I'm imagining it looks like what 8 does, lol).

Seriously I adjusted the ClearType twenty different ways, tried looking up all sorts of tips/tricks on intarwebs and nothing. The fonts just look atrocious in things like IE and elsewhere. I understand (from all the research/reading I did) that MS changed the font rendering in 8 because it's "better". But that doesn't explain why it looks like crap. All the fonts are blocky and jagged on the displays (all LCDs) that I've tried it on. It's definitely not something I want on my TV screen when using my HTPC. To me it's like they just went backwards 20 years in the way it looks on the display. Have no idea how to fix it (and I tried a lot of things). I don't even understand how they get away with this/how not that many people complain about it? But yeah that's the main reason I won't use it on my HTPC.
post #68 of 70 Old 10-18-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJohnNV View Post
I’ve had a HTPC since 2007. The hardware, now in its third incarnation was running Vista. Last year I received Windows 8 Pro as a Christmas present, and got the WMC add-on for free. As far as WMC goes, there are a number of real improvements going from Vista to 8, but for the OS itself, we are not friends. After 9 months of use, I still get the feeling that it won’t do what I want until I get up and smear my hands all over the big screen, not that it would help. In the end, it’s been worth what I paid for it.
The improvements in WMC were made in Windows 7, not 8. WMC is essentially unchanged from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
post #69 of 70 Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The improvements in WMC were made in Windows 7, not 8. WMC is essentially unchanged from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
Good to know. The improvements in WMC were worth the cost of Win7.
post #70 of 70 Old 10-20-2014, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Win 8.1 on a Mac mini, yep.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page