Connecting cable box to PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a HD converter from Bright House Networks in Central Florida (component and hdmi out). They don't sell cable cards, so I'll be hooking the cable box to some kind of tv tuner / capture card. Does anyone have recommendations for one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
All cable companies are required by law to rent you a cable card. That's by far the best solution, so you should give it another try.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're correct, they do sell cable cards. I must have misunderstood how it worked. Well in any case, I get almost all their premium channels for free from benefits. Someone told me I would lose access to their PPV and onDemand channels with a cable card, but I guess I still have access to those on my other TVs. Now I just need to figure out which tv tuner to get.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Ceton and Silicon Dust are both good. Just decide how many tuners you want. You do lose On Demand but not PPV. You can still call to order. Since you're using a PC anyway, most if not all On Demand content will still be available by other means.

I personally prefer the InfiniTV 4 which is only about $100 used and suffices for a couple of recordings and live TV throughout the house.

You do realize you can get rid of all your cable boxes and DVRs and save quite a bit of money assuming you don't already get that for free like with your premiums. My one PC plus some extenders give me a whole home DVR on 5 TVs for $2/month.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You can connect up to 6 TV's at the same time to an HTPC, and you can have up to 32 tuners in an HTPC.

Getting rid of all your cable boxes will save more in a year than it will cost to build an HTPC.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page