Receiver picking the wrong output and breaking WMC codecs - trying to figure out where the problem is - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so here's a rather strange one that I've been researching. If I've missed a thread, please forgive me and point me there.

Here's my setup:
Panasonic P55ST30
Onkyo TX-NR515
HTPC, Relavant parts are an Asus Maximus V GENE, and an Nvidia GTX 650Ti Boost.

Here's my problem:
When I turn on the TV and receiver (the PC is always on), the receiver comes up in 'TV Speaker' mode, which is essentially muted. Due to the HDMI passthrough, this 'removes' the audio playback device in Windows (i.e. no speakers or headphones connected), which then occasionally (but not all the time) breaks codecs in WMC, and it tells me that the decoder is not working properly. (I am using the LAV decoder for audio playback, and the normal WMC video decoder).

If I unmute the receiver, it switches to playing back through the entire surround sound system, but a reboot is required to fix the codec in Windows. I'd really like to not have to reboot my PC sometimes randomly when I turn on the TV. I've tried several attempts at EDID overrides with MonInfo, etc, but nothing has had a noticeable impact. I am an IT guy by trade, so I'd like to think I'm doing the EDID overrides properly, but it's possible I am not.

I have tried multiple NVIDIA driver versions, I've updated the firmware on the TX-NR515, and I've changed out HDMI cables, all from various threads around here. I've even tried taping off the HDMI wires that detect a plugged in cable, but that totally broke audio altogether. This happens no matter what order I power up the gear in. I have HDMI active passthrough enabled on the receiver to emulate a device always being there (like an HDMI doctor, which I've also tried, to no effect)

Has anyone got a suggestion on what I can do or where to research further?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have this exact same Onkyo with GT640. See these threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480740/wmc-crashes-when-power-cycling-my-avr-or-tv
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491013/htpc-display-issues
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490602/black-screen-flickering-when-i-turn-on-my-tv
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488928/why-does-my-pc-say-native-under-the-1080i-resolution-connected-to-tv
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482693/workaround-nvidia-hdmi-audio-not-plugged-in-after-resume-from-sleep-s3-or-turning-tv-off-then-on
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481997/nvidia-geforce-gtx660-not-playing-nice-with-new-yamaha-rx-v773-receiver

Summary- The only thing that fixed this problem for me was to put a device between the GPU and AVR to trick the HTPC into thinking the "display" is always on (putting the receiver in pass through does not really do this).

My Onkyo does fall back to stereo/analog when I stop playing audio/video in WMC or other players but goes right back into DD (or other digital surround formats) just fine when media playback resumes.

I'm curious what happened exactly when you tried Dr HDMI?

How long are your hdmi cables?

What happens if you bypass the AVR?
post #3 of 16 Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I had similar problems with my Marantz AV7005 and it took me a long time to get it resolved. In the end I got a Dr. HDMI and connected it between the Marantz and my LG TV (it did not help when connected to the HTPC output). This permanently fixed it.

Likely it was the TV that did not handshake properly and the Marantz believed it was off. The Marantz then told the graphics card it had no display connected.

Welcome to HDMI hell. smile.gif
post #4 of 16 Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you tried turning off the "Audio TV Out" and "HDMI Through" in the "Hardware Setup" -> "HDMI" settings in the Onkyo HDMI settings? This should eliminate the Onkyo entering the "TV Speaker" mode. I run all three (605, 609, and 809) of my Onkyo receivers this way and they all work fine. In this mode, Windows only sees the Onkyo and not they display device. While it reduces your flexibility it does increase your simplicity.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone, sorry I've been away.
When i connected a Dr. HDMI between the HTPC and the receiver, it didn't fix the problem. Half the time it did nothing, and half the time it broke all HDCP stuff (and I had VERY thoroughly checked to make sure I set the DIP switches properly). When i connected it between the receiver and the TV, it wouldn't display anything.
@TimA; your solution is what I eventually stumbled in yesterday, and it totally solved this problem. Thanks for that.
Now, I'm getting an error that the video decoder isn't working properly, sometimes when I turn it on, which is solved by the script that @hammerdwn alluded to.
Still not perfect... but getting there!
Any other suggestions?
post #6 of 16 Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth5325 View Post

...I had VERY thoroughly checked to make sure I set the DIP switches properly)...
I don't know what product you tried but my Dr HDMI does not have any dip switches. You put it between the GPU and AVR then press a button and it copies the EDID from the AVR and stores it in memory. So no matter what the AVR or Tv are doing it presents the GPU with the stored EDID / signal. I too was getting frequent hdcp errors when I first plugged mine in, but replacing an "unknown" hdmi cable fixed that for good.

Quote:

...Now, I'm getting an error that the video decoder isn't working properly, sometimes when I turn it on...
From where is this error coming?
post #7 of 16 Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies hammer, you are right, the Dr. HDMI doesn't have any DIP switches, I was getting confused with the HDMI Detective Plus, which I tried first. Neither worked. My apologies for the confusion.
With the Dr. HDMI, I even tried programming it, as well as copying with the button, and neither completely worked.

The error comes from Windows Media Center, when I try and view live TV. It's only occasionally after receiver power off that it happens.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hi everyone, sorry I've been away.
When i connected a Dr. HDMI between the HTPC and the receiver, it didn't fix the problem. Half the time it did nothing, and half the time it broke all HDCP stuff (and I had VERY thoroughly checked to make sure I set the DIP switches properly). When i connected it between the receiver and the TV, it wouldn't display anything.
@TimA; your solution is what I eventually stumbled in yesterday, and it totally solved this problem. Thanks for that.
Now, I'm getting an error that the video decoder isn't working properly, sometimes when I turn it on, which is solved by the script that @hammerdwn alluded to.
Still not perfect... but getting there!
Any other suggestions?

If it's a Gefen device and you have no use for it, would yu consider selling it? Pm me if so. smile.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... (I am using the LAV decoder for audio playback, and the normal WMC video decoder)...
How are you able to use LAV audio in WMC? Did you install a codec pack? exactly which one?

Quote:

...The error comes from Windows Media Center, when I try and view live TV. It's only occasionally after receiver power off that it happens.

Make sure you disable any onboard video or audio controllers in your motherboard bios.
Disconnect any secondary monitors and secondary audio cables from the PC.
Set Windows Playback Device (Onkyo AVR) to Stereo Mode and WMC Sound Settings to 5.1
post #10 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

How are you able to use LAV audio in WMC? Did you install a codec pack? exactly which one?
Nope, no codec pack. I simply disabled the Microsoft one and used the Windows 7 decoder tool to set LAV to preferred. Works like a charm, when TV works at all.
Here's a link to the tool: http://codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm It's just a registry changer. I manually edited the registry before this came about, several years ago. I've formatted many times since.
Quote:

..disable things
When a video card is used in the Maximus V Gene, it automatically disables onboard video. I'll go through the BIOS and double make sure I force it off, if I can. There are no other displays, monitors, anything, just a single HDMI cable to a receiver.
If I set the Onkyo in Windows to stereo, will that affect sound in MPC-HC?
post #11 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I simply disabled the Microsoft one and used the Windows 7 decoder tool to set LAV to preferred. Works like a charm..
What is the purpose? When you watch Tv, the PC should just send a bitstream 5.1 Why is LAV better than MS for that? Maybe contributing to your issue. Try changing it back to MS.
Quote:

...If I set the Onkyo in Windows to stereo, will that affect sound in MPC-HC?
I don't think so. It's easy to try though. It is the preferred setting to aleve a WMC audio bug.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What is the purpose? When you watch Tv, the PC should just send a bitstream 5.1 Why is LAV better than MS for that? Maybe contributing to your issue. Try changing it back to MS.
I was thinking about that, but last I recall, the default WMC codecs actually couldn't bitstream, which is why I did that. I'll swap it back tonight and report.
Quote:

I don't think so. It's easy to try though. It is the preferred setting to aleve a WMC audio bug.
You know, I remember seeing that somewhere, thanks for the reminder. I'll swap that back too this evening and report on both.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

post #14 of 16 Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Update:
Swapped Windows to stereo, disabled LAV in WMC, and set WMC to 5.1. Still bitstreaming, problem hasn't recurred. I'll update in a week.
Thanks again hammer, very much appreciate your second set of eyes.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Alas, the problem remains. Receiver inputs are fixed, but, occasionally, after TV and Receiver being powered down, and powering them back up, 'video decoder is not working' error in WMC.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

And that is with a remote macro that stops WMC live Tv before powering Tv/AVR down or are you leaving WMC playing. Maybe now that you have the codecs set back to "normal", you should try Dr. HDMI. I can't live without mine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Nr515
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page