Loud "popping" sounds during storm scenes in movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have an idea why I am hearing very loud, quick "popping" sounds during storm scenes in movies?

For example during both the tornado scene in Oz the Great & Powerful and the silica storm scene in Prometheus I start getting very loud "popping" sounds in all my speakers. The "popping" goes away during normal audio scenes.

I am bitstreaming from my HTPC using a Radeon HD5450 over HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A1020.

This is a recent setup. Prior to this I was outputting sound over digital coax to an older Yamaha receiver.

I had to revert to older Catalyst drivers to get smooth video back. Current Catalyst drivers caused the video in movies to be jerky. I am currently running a driver version 8.821.00 from 1/26/2011 on the card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to add that I am running TMT3 Platinum to play Blu-Ray ISO's.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

I did a test to confirm that the issue is not with the receiver.

I played the plane hijack scene from The Dark Knight Rises and hear none of the "popping" sounds I heard from playing Prometheus or Oz on my HTPC.

So is the issue with the video card, the drivers, or with TMT3?

Anyone know of similar issues and how they were resolved?

I checked my version on TMT3 and it is at 3.0.1.190.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemack View Post

Anyone have an idea why I am hearing very loud, quick "popping" sounds during storm scenes in movies?

For example during both the tornado scene in Oz the Great & Powerful and the silica storm scene in Prometheus I start getting very loud "popping" sounds in all my speakers. The "popping" goes away during normal audio scenes.

I am bitstreaming from my HTPC using a Radeon HD5450 over HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A1020.

This is a recent setup. Prior to this I was outputting sound over digital coax to an older Yamaha receiver.

I had to revert to older Catalyst drivers to get smooth video back. Current Catalyst drivers caused the video in movies to be jerky. I am currently running a driver version 8.821.00 from 1/26/2011 on the card.

Try a different AMD driver. Keep trying till you find one that works.

Best of luck.

Also try to rip it to MKV and see if another player (MPC-HC, XBMC, etc) has the same issue.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I played both scenes using VLC instead of TMT3 last night and they played without the "popping" sounds. Does this mean the issue lies with TMT3 or in how TMT3 uses the drivers?

By the way assassin I subscribed to your blogs and appreciate you replying to my thread.

I also forgot to note that the test I did with The Dark Knight Rises was with a Blu-Ray player and TDKR disc. This ruled out the chipset in the Yamaha being the culprit.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have also installed MPC-HC and played the same ISO for Oz with it and I experienced no "popping" sounds in the audio for the Tornado scene.

Since VLC and MPC-HC both play the audio without incident it leads me to believe the issue is with TMT3.

I updated TMT3 to the latest patch 3.0.1.195 and that did not make a difference.

TMT3 is set to sound card > default audio device (which is AMD High Definition Audio Device) > output mode > HDMI and mixing mode > original primary audio.

Are VLC and MPC-HC using a different codec for DTS-MA HD than TMT3 is using? Can I point it to a different codec to use?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried a half dozen AMD drivers and none have resolved the issue.

I have also tried installing the LAV Splitter program and that also has not resolved the issue.

Anyone have a recommendation on what to try next?
post #8 of 14 Old 09-29-2013, 02:52 PM

It could be a case of the DTS bomb. Google it and you will see posts. It affected Yamaha receivers amount others.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it's the DTS "bomb". I found that while researching this issue. The characteristics don't match.

The "popping" I am hearing is across all speakers as the storms in the scene swirl around. The "popping" moves from speaker to speaker with the storm. The "popping" sounds like digital popcorn popping.

My understanding of the DTS bomb is that it was a loud pop or thump that happened in a single instance and scared the bejeesus out of people. Mine is constant simultaneous "pops" going on all around you. Once the storm passes in the scene everything goes back to normal.

My issue also seems to be isolated to using TMT3 with DTS-MA HD on Blu-Ray ISO's playing from my HTPC. I can play similar scenes with lots of swirling effects on my Panasonic Blu-Ray player encoded in DTS-MA HD and no such issues there.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Could it be some kind of electrical interference in a cable or wire? What is your wiring situation? Bad Cable? Does it happen on all surround sound formats? Are there other movies with storm scenes that do the same thing? Maybe the disc audio transfer was bad. Just trying to think of different approaches you could take.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I can play the same ISO's with MPC-HC and VLC instead of TMT3 and the "popping" does not occur in the scenes.

I also can play Blu-Rays with a standalone player and no "popping" sounds when listening to the DTS-MA HD track on the discs.

It has come down to an issue with TMT3 and the codec possibly that it is using for DTS-MA HD. I Ithought about upgrading to TMT5 or 6 but want to steer clear of the Cinavia issues.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve the issue within TMT3? Can I replace the codec in the application? Can I force TMT3 to utilize a codec installed with LAV Splitter?
post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemack View Post

I can play the same ISO's with MPC-HC and VLC instead of TMT3 and the "popping" does not occur in the scenes.

I also can play Blu-Rays with a standalone player and no "popping" sounds when listening to the DTS-MA HD track on the discs.

It has come down to an issue with TMT3 and the codec possibly that it is using for DTS-MA HD. I Ithought about upgrading to TMT5 or 6 but want to steer clear of the Cinavia issues.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve the issue within TMT3? Can I replace the codec in the application? Can I force TMT3 to utilize a codec installed with LAV Splitter?

This seems like a TMT3 problem as you have stated.

I would ask in the TMT forums as you might get better feedback: http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=23&title=totalmedia-theatre
post #13 of 14 Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Assassin. I have done just that and posted a link back to this forum for their reference.

Here's hoping someone can give me a next step or a resolution to this. I am pretty good at fixing issues but this one has me stumped...
post #14 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Jason from Arcsoft replied to my post that it is a known issue with TMT3 and suggested upgrading to TMT6.

I updated to TMT6 and now that will not launch at all...

For now I have reverted back to using optical out with DTS and DD formats. I will have to revisit the bitstreaming later.

Thanks for the feedback and input.
Reply Home Theater Computers