Rebuilding my HP EX495 Windows Home Server with WHS 2011, would a hybrid Seagate 2tb drive make a good OS drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My winter project is going to be re-building my HP EX495 WHS. First and foremeost I will be installing WHS 2011. I have solid state drives in every other computer I own, but the MediaSmart servers only have 4 drive bays, I don't want to sacrifice one of the 4 drive bays for a small SSD. At the same time I'm accustomed to the way a computer runs on a SSD, and my server runs glacialy slow in comparison. Which brings me to the hybrid drive. I know a measly 8gb of flash storage isn't going to make a huge difference on a 2tb drive, but it seems at first glance that an extra ~$20 would be worth a bit of extra speed.

I know the way WHS 2011 works the drive that the OS is installed on will be partitioned, one small partition for the OS, with the remainder of the drive partitioned as storage. How would a hybird hard drive react to this type of a partition? Would it be possible for the solid state cache to fill with data from either partition? If I understand the way a hybrid drive works, the solid state cache is basically filled with whatever data is accesed the most. I'm guessing that regardless of what ends up on the storage partition that components of the OS will still be used the most and fill the cache, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or insight into this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

2TB drives are the maximum that the EX495 can handle.

I use Western Digitla Black Drives which are SATA 6 and they work fine

for transferring back ups between them, but the speed between the

EX495 and the drives is SATA 3 at best.

A Hybrid drive gives you a better buffering system on the drive

and makes the most accessed files available on the buffer.

Try it out and see if there is a performance boost.

Don't discount the SSD drives. If you mirror them, you will get a boost in read and write speeds.

Pete...

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page