Cheapest & easiest storage add on that works well for a non-techie on a windows 7 HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can some one please recommend something they have that has worked well-no freezing, crashes or overly slow speeds. This is for a friend out of state, which is why it needs to be a cheap, easy solution that just works well... He currently has a HTPC that has 2x 2 TB Internal Hard Drives and is almost maxed out mainly due to DVD burning and storage on the HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 924
External USB drive ? Internal SATA drive? Or you trying to build a server ?

Go to Costco and buy a Seagate 4TB External USB 3.0 for $139. Simple. Cheap. Good.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

External USB drive ? Internal SATA drive? Or you trying to build a server ?

Go to Costco and buy a Seagate 4TB External USB 3.0 for $139. Simple. Cheap. Good.

He needs it simple, so no on server, doubtful on internal Sata-thinking external usb 3.0, if it in fact it works good in practice... Just wanted some verification from someone that is using a solution that works and odesn't freeze, crash, go to slow or bring the HTPC to its knees. What do you think will this work well when playing MKV rips of DVDs and BLu-rays?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Seagate 4TB drive from Costco.... retail box. Works well and good value. That's what he should do. It's how most people start- then they build servers tongue.gif
freetvEE likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Seagate 4TB drive from Costco.... retail box. Works well and good value. That's what he should do. It's how most people start- then they build servers tongue.gif

+1

An external drive is the way to go for a simple solution. It should just show up as another drive to store rips on. As far as speed is concerned, they are all fast enough to stream movies without issue. I currently use a 2 & 3 TB Western Digital MyBook Live to supplement my other storage.
freetvEE likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a good plan, nice to know it works well for streaming w/o issues! I assume WMC & Media Browser would have no issues finding or streaming from it either?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Media Browser Configurator (if your friend is using MB2) or the 'Configure Media Browser' link (if your friend is using MB3) will not have any problems finding and using folders on the Seagate External drive.

+1 for the External Seagate Backup drives. I've been using this one for about a year, directly connected to my HTPC via USB3, for over a year now. Very fast and quiet. I typically see about 40-60 MB/s transfer speeds from my server, thru the router, to HTPC and out to the drive.

Here's CrystalDisk ran locally on the HTPC showing ~100 MB/s, which is not too shabby I guess:

The drive sleeps when the HTPC sleeps and is powered down. Plus, the drive is classy and does not look out of place with the rest of my A/V stuff.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List