Graphics Card - Will upgrade help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I currently have a HTPC with an integrated ATI 4200 graphics chip. I use HDMI to my TV and optical audio out to my receiver. I use the Ceton tuner for television.

Will upgrading the graphics card give me a better picture out to the TV? I don't have any juddering or motion problems but I think the cable box from the provider looks better on my upstairs TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You didn’t mention what kind of problems you are having with the integrated 4200 graphics. Is the HTPC set to 720p and the cable box at 1080i?
The AMD HD 6450 is very popular in HTPCs. They can be found on Egghead for around $50. Available in low profile and fanless designs. Good for HD video, but not games. I myself have an older HD 5450 and it works OK.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I feel like picture clarity is a little "softer" than the cable box. The resolution is set at 1920x1080.

Colors also seem to not be as deep and a little more faded when compared.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

Sorry, I feel like picture clarity is a little "softer" than the cable box. The resolution is set at 1920x1080.

Colors also seem to not be as deep and a little more faded when compared.

Is your tv's picture setting the same on each hdmi input?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I even played back the same recordings through my xbox vs directly on the media center and they look better.

I think my main question is if a better graphics card will process the TV channels/recordings any differently.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are both devices and inputs calibrated to the same correct levels? Chroma/saturation, gamma, luminance, black levels, sharpness, etc may be different which could be resulting in the differences you're seeing, especially chroma/saturation based on what you're describing.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Are both devices and inputs calibrated to the same correct levels? Chroma/saturation, gamma, luminance, black levels, sharpness, etc may be different which could be resulting in the differences you're seeing, especially chroma/saturation based on what you're describing.

I'll have to look through the ATi control panel and see what color adjustments I can do to try and get them closer. I just wasn't sure if a better graphics card would help or if ATi vs Nvidia would be better for those type of adjustments.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
There is a registry edit for fixing the washed out look in WMC, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. It's the first thing I do whenever I build an HTPC.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
0-255 or 16-235 ?

Mixed matched settings can get you what you are getting.

Try another player ? Verify what you are in- possibly test with some blacker than black test shots ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page