If I plan to use flexraid in my server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can add HDDs as I go along with the life of my servr. In other words, I do not need to buy 5 hdd drives right now. Secondly, My HTPC currently has one 2 TB HDD that is just about filled. I should be able to remove this from my HTPC and add it to the server along with a brand new HDD that can be either 2,3, or 4 TB and i can pool them. I can then always add more HDD to the build as time goes on correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Yes. You can add drives as you go (both full or empty). You can also install flexraid later (after you are up and running )

Build a server and get it working, get some storage. Once you have 4 or more hard drives, add flexraid. It installs into Windows or WHS pretty easily.

Full drives will take a while to get parity going, (how long it takes to read all the data) but aside from that there is no downfall. I like to add empty drives because it's easier, ( and faster)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The only concern with adding drives to FlexRAID is that the parity drive needs to be the same size as the largest data drive. If your parity drive starts out as 2TB, you can't add 3TB data drives until you upgrade your parity to at least 3TB.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The only concern with adding drives to FlexRAID is that the parity drive needs to be the same size as the largest data drive. If your parity drive starts out as 2TB, you can't add 3TB data drives until you upgrade your parity to at least 3TB.

That's more of a raid issue in general. It's the same deal with unRaid. In Raid 1 you can't have a 1TB and 2TB drive raided together (Some will let you do this, but you lose 1TB of the space on the 2TB drive). At least with unraid/flexraid you can add any size drive at any time as long as it is the same size or smaller than your parity, and you can upgrade your parity quite easily and use the old parity as a data disk afterwords. It's not very hard to do. I just did this last weekend!
post #5 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

That's more of a raid issue in general. It's the same deal with unRaid. In Raid 1 you can't have a 1TB and 2TB drive raided together (Some will let you do this, but you lose 1TB of the space on the 2TB drive). At least with unraid/flexraid you can add any size drive at any time as long as it is the same size or smaller than your parity, and you can upgrade your parity quite easily and use the old parity as a data disk afterwords. It's not very hard to do. I just did this last weekend!

Yes, but I was just pointing out that one of the first upgrades maybe should be to a larger parity drive so the data expansion can follow.

post #6 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Yes, but I was just pointing out that one of the first upgrades maybe should be to a larger parity drive so the data expansion can follow.

Oh for sure. It's less work in the future if you buy the biggest parity disk you can now, rather than having to upgrade it later as you buy bigger drives. It has to be hard when starting with no raid and going to a parity since you will buy a big hard drive that doesn't expand your total space at all
post #7 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I did an upgrade to my server and started ditching my 2 TB WD Green drives because they were getting a bit old and I found other less critical uses for them. After buying four 3TB Seagates I only had 9TB of storage, which was just 1TB more than I had before the upgrade. I added a newer 2TB Seagate back to the mix so that got me up to 11TB. At least now I can easily grow where X TB added is X TB in data storage, until I feel the need for 2x parity drives.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

So I currently have a 2TB that is full, if I purchase a 3TB drive to go along with the 2TB for now, which one should be my parity drive the 3TB drive?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

So I currently have a 2TB that is full, if I purchase a 3TB drive to go along with the 2TB for now, which one should be my parity drive the 3TB drive?

Yes, the parity drive has to be at LEAST the same size as your biggest data drive.

Bill
post #10 of 16 Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You would need to get the 3TB (or 2TB minimum) for the parity drive and then another drive to start actually adding additional storage space to your RAID.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Use a new 4 TB drive for parity so you can add new empty drives up to 4tb
mrfattbill likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Use a new 4 TB drive for parity so you can add new empty drives up to 4tb

QFT. That is the smartest move.

Bill
post #13 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

And to confirm, if I do buy a new 4TB drive to go along with my 2TB, I technically would not have added any new space to media storage until I purchase at least one hard drive that is 4TB or less correct.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

And to confirm, if I do buy a new 4TB drive to go along with my 2TB, I technically would not have added any new space to media storage until I purchase at least one hard drive that is 4TB or less correct.

That is correct, if you use the 4TB as the parity drive you would still only have 2TB of storage until you add another drive.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Then every drive you add will add directly to your storage pool, until you decide to add second parity drive.

post #16 of 16 Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. You have used a 4TB which will allow you to add drives as large at 4TB but you have not gained any space. Your space you have would be a combo of all the hard drives you have that you designate as data drives (basically every other drive except your OS drive)

Flexraid would pool them into one single big HDD

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page