Can JRiver completely replace WMC7 and all it's plugins/components (TV, DVR, and media software)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not a big fan of Windows Media Center in general but when I built my HTPC it was the only option that did everything I wanted. I have an HD Homerun Prime 3 tuner setup on the network and I use WMC7 as a tool to record and watch TV, set up series recordings, watch DVD and Blu Ray discs, and listen to music. I use media browser for pretty much everything else video related. I also have a Windows Home Server 2011 machine that stores all the media except the TV recordings.

My question is: Would JRiver MC be able to do everything now and replace both WMC7 and Media Browser? If not, is there a solution that would do it all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you don't need to watch any "Copy Once" cablecard content, then yeah, JRiver should work. If you need "Copy Once", WMC is the only option.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Jriver strength is it can do built in Madvr, and also has good audio option and quality. On the eye candy front- it's probably not as good looking or slick as mediabrowser.

You might want to hold out for MB3 theater (which will add the goodies like madvr)

If you don't mind the cost of Jriver it's good software- but you are the only one that can judge and you will need to try it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Does JRiver handle the encrypted content from Comcast cable? I'm not talking about the "Copy Once", but the fact that Comcast is now encrypting all channels.

Currently WMC does, even though I'm no fan of WMC.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

Does JRiver handle the encrypted content from Comcast cable? I'm not talking about the "Copy Once", but the fact that Comcast is now encrypting all channels.

Currently WMC does, even though I'm no fan of WMC.

JRiver can currently handle the copy freely channels on the cable card. Premium channels it cannot; you still need wmc for that currently.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

JRiver can currently handle the copy freely channels on the cable card. Premium channels it cannot; you still need wmc for that currently.

I'm not referring to the copy freely or copy once, I'm specifically talking about something different called encrypted content. Are we talking about what I'm referring to?
post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm not referring to the copy freely or copy once, I'm specifically talking about something different called encrypted content. Are we talking about what I'm referring to?
Copy once is the stuff that is encrypted.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Copy once is the stuff that is encrypted.

While this is correct it indicates you don't know the whole picture

Anything copy-once is encrypted, but not everything encrypted is copy-once

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
Quote:

Yes and no

Most channels -> yes
HBO, Starz, Cinemax -> no
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Precisely
Quote:

You aren't talking about something different, just the next rung on the ladder of understanding.

Jriver, NPVR, Mediaportal, MythTV, and Argus can record / play copy-freely cablecard content

All cablecard content is encrypted. Check the wiki link above for Copy Control Information. All cablecard content will have CCI bits indicating how the content can be played back. Typical choices are
0x00 - Copy Freely
0x01 - Copy Once (HBO, Starz, Cinemax, . . .)
0x02 - Copy Never (PPV)

Since you have Comcast, you are able to view pretty much the entire Digital starter (except HBO, Starz, Cinemax) in several PVRs other than WMC. Fios users have this luxury as well, but all other cablecos (AFAIK) 0x01 everything except local and maybe local HD.

Even though it is "cablecard encrypted" content, the decrypted TV stream can be viewed in several PVR softwares if it's copy-freely
post #9 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

One caveat is that the best tuner for this type of setup is the HDHomerun Prime. It's supported first by "alternative-to-wmc" PVRs, and Ceton's tuners aren't always supported later.

The even better solution might be a WMC TV server. If your server can run WMC then you can really simplify the setup by using the new WMCserver as a PVR backend for XBMC. It's working pretty well for me right now, but I've only tried it a couple hours . . .

I haven't written a guide for it yet, but it's on the to-do list. Although the wiki is already pretty good http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/ServerWMC

If Copy-Once does end up being a sticking issue (family needs HBO? or you move and use a different cable provider) you can use the WMC launcher guide linked in my signature. Hopefully MB3 will integrate something similar to this (likely even improve upon it) even though it's had no mention of any sort of custom app launcher. The capability is certainly in MB3, else there would be no gamebrowser

The creator *might* integrate the quickwmc launching even more into XBMCs EPG, but there is nothing concrete on that for a while
post #10 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

One caveat is that the best tuner for this type of setup is the HDHomerun Prime. It's supported first by "alternative-to-wmc" PVRs, and Ceton's tuners aren't always supported later.

The even better solution might be a WMC TV server. If your server can run WMC then you can really simplify the setup by using the new WMCserver as a PVR backend for XBMC. It's working pretty well for me right now, but I've only tried it a couple hours . . .

Which is exactly what I'm doing now as well (i.e. using a virtual win7-64-WMC instance as a WMC server on an ESXi 5.1 server). Yes, I also think the XBMC win7 server add-on (running on the win7-64 WMC virtual machine) is working without errors in conjunction with my HDHomerun Prime. I don't subscribe to Comcast Premium channels.

I'm finding my old mATX AMD Nvidia 6150 based motherboards (I have 3) are perfect OLEC clients (I'm only interested in 2-channel PCM and DD or DTS 5.1 audio).

Thanks for delineating the functions of the cablecard.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Basically, if you need a cable box for channels, they're encrypted. I used to have one at one time, and through the top vent holes I was able to see that even they use the cablecard for viewing the channels. So its no different in having the separate card in say the HRP or Ceton.

As for JRiver, it took them awhile to finally offer cablecard support for tv viewing. Though the UI is nowhere like WMC's, using it as a PVR isn't exactly straightforward at this time, though I am sure they will improve that in future versions.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Jriver, NPVR, Mediaportal, MythTV, and Argus can record / play copy-once cablecard content

Wait.. when did this happen? Last time I checked, they only supported copy-freely.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

Wait.. when did this happen? Last time I checked, they only supported copy-freely.
Yep I completely screwed the pooch on that one

It was late and I definitely meant Copy-freely in that case, nothing new. All should be corrected above
post #14 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Yep I completely screwed the pooch on that one

It was late and I definitely meant Copy-freely in that case, nothing new. All should be corrected above

Aww, darn. I was hoping I had been wrong, not you frown.gif Oh well.. some day, I'll be free of WMC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page