Windows Updates? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Windows Updates?
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 05:53 AM 10-04-2013
I am running Win7, do all updates manually and have noticed that there has been no updates to install for a couple weeks now. My PC and HTPC are both running fine so it isn't as if I need an update for any particular reason but I am just wondering...

Has anyone else noticed this?

SteelWill's Avatar SteelWill 07:50 AM 10-04-2013
Windows updates generally go live the 2nd Tuesday each month so ~4 weeks without any is normal.
blueiedgod's Avatar blueiedgod 10:29 AM 10-04-2013
hrm, now that you mentioned it, our "whole house DVR" has not rebooted in at least a month. Usually, a tell tale sign of updates having been rolled out, is the need to reconnect the extenders (XBOX self reconnects on PC reboot).
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 11:17 AM 10-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post

Windows updates generally go live the 2nd Tuesday each month so ~4 weeks without any is normal.

I see. I thought it was every Tuesday. Maybe now that Win7 is in legacy status they will come less often unless critical.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 11:18 AM 10-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

hrm, now that you mentioned it, our "whole house DVR" has not rebooted in at least a month. Usually, a tell tale sign of updates having been rolled out, is the need to reconnect the extenders (XBOX self reconnects on PC reboot).

Yeah, I don't use automatic updates. I log in from my PC from a remote session and do maintenance.
JorgeA's Avatar JorgeA 11:12 PM 10-04-2013
Microsoft will continue providing "Mainstream Support" (both security updates and non-security feature changes) through January 13, 2015. Then it will keep issuing security-related updates ("Extended Support") until January 14, 2020. So we're good for more than six years. smile.gif

These updates are released monthly on "Patch Tuesday." Win7 will be sitting in first class alongside Win8 'til 1/2015, and then move to coach. Five years later, it gets pushed off the plane...

Here are the relevant pages from Microsoft: Windows 7 Lifecycle, Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ (see item #3).
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 06:19 AM 10-05-2013
I know this but it seemed to me that patch Tuesday was every week or two previously. I suppose with Win8(.1) out MS is more focused on patching the bugs in that right now. My Win7 machines continue to be stable, reliable and fast so I really don't need an update, I suppose.

The only reason why a asked really is I hadn't seen one in a while and was thinking maybe I have become infected where the updates were not coming through but there was no other sign of such an event. At any rate, I have confirmed with all your help that the lack of recent updates is not because of a virus or Trojan blocking it but this is to be expected. Thanks!
JorgeA's Avatar JorgeA 07:36 PM 10-05-2013
Just for the sake of completeness -- I remembered that Microsoft also sends out malware definition updates for Windows Defender every 3-4 days. These are different from the Windows Updates (security and program patches) but we download them the same way. That could be the reason we get the impression that Windows Updates come in every week.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 06:44 AM 10-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

Just for the sake of completeness -- I remembered that Microsoft also sends out malware definition updates for Windows Defender every 3-4 days. These are different from the Windows Updates (security and program patches) but we download them the same way. That could be the reason we get the impression that Windows Updates come in every week.

I don't use Windows Defender but rather Microsoft Security Essentials. I just checked that and the definition files are up to date.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 09:41 AM 10-06-2013
Microsoft keeps bouncing back and forth between MSE and Defender...Win 7 started with Defender and then moved to MSE but Win 8 uses Defender. Odd, if you ask me.
staknhalo's Avatar staknhalo 02:36 PM 10-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Microsoft keeps bouncing back and forth between MSE and Defender...Win 7 started with Defender and then moved to MSE but Win 8 uses Defender. Odd, if you ask me.

MSE is integrated into (or actually, replaces) Windows Defender in Windows 8. They just decided to keep the Defender name for it.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 06:13 PM 10-06-2013
Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense...I liked the Defender name better anyway.
JorgeA's Avatar JorgeA 06:29 PM 10-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I don't use Windows Defender but rather Microsoft Security Essentials. I just checked that and the definition files are up to date.

Yeah, Microsoft probably issues virus definition files for MSE as often as for Defender. (For all I know, they're the same files... wink.gif )

The idea is that these definition files (rather than Windows Updates) are what's coming out every week or even more often, and that this might account for the confusion reported in the original post.
Up
Mobile  Desktop