Windows Updates? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I am running Win7, do all updates manually and have noticed that there has been no updates to install for a couple weeks now. My PC and HTPC are both running fine so it isn't as if I need an update for any particular reason but I am just wondering...

Has anyone else noticed this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Windows updates generally go live the 2nd Tuesday each month so ~4 weeks without any is normal.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
hrm, now that you mentioned it, our "whole house DVR" has not rebooted in at least a month. Usually, a tell tale sign of updates having been rolled out, is the need to reconnect the extenders (XBOX self reconnects on PC reboot).

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post

Windows updates generally go live the 2nd Tuesday each month so ~4 weeks without any is normal.

I see. I thought it was every Tuesday. Maybe now that Win7 is in legacy status they will come less often unless critical.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

hrm, now that you mentioned it, our "whole house DVR" has not rebooted in at least a month. Usually, a tell tale sign of updates having been rolled out, is the need to reconnect the extenders (XBOX self reconnects on PC reboot).

Yeah, I don't use automatic updates. I log in from my PC from a remote session and do maintenance.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Microsoft will continue providing "Mainstream Support" (both security updates and non-security feature changes) through January 13, 2015. Then it will keep issuing security-related updates ("Extended Support") until January 14, 2020. So we're good for more than six years. smile.gif

These updates are released monthly on "Patch Tuesday." Win7 will be sitting in first class alongside Win8 'til 1/2015, and then move to coach. Five years later, it gets pushed off the plane...

Here are the relevant pages from Microsoft: Windows 7 Lifecycle, Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ (see item #3).
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know this but it seemed to me that patch Tuesday was every week or two previously. I suppose with Win8(.1) out MS is more focused on patching the bugs in that right now. My Win7 machines continue to be stable, reliable and fast so I really don't need an update, I suppose.

The only reason why a asked really is I hadn't seen one in a while and was thinking maybe I have become infected where the updates were not coming through but there was no other sign of such an event. At any rate, I have confirmed with all your help that the lack of recent updates is not because of a virus or Trojan blocking it but this is to be expected. Thanks!

post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM

Just for the sake of completeness -- I remembered that Microsoft also sends out malware definition updates for Windows Defender every 3-4 days. These are different from the Windows Updates (security and program patches) but we download them the same way. That could be the reason we get the impression that Windows Updates come in every week.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

Just for the sake of completeness -- I remembered that Microsoft also sends out malware definition updates for Windows Defender every 3-4 days. These are different from the Windows Updates (security and program patches) but we download them the same way. That could be the reason we get the impression that Windows Updates come in every week.

I don't use Windows Defender but rather Microsoft Security Essentials. I just checked that and the definition files are up to date.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Microsoft keeps bouncing back and forth between MSE and Defender...Win 7 started with Defender and then moved to MSE but Win 8 uses Defender. Odd, if you ask me.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Microsoft keeps bouncing back and forth between MSE and Defender...Win 7 started with Defender and then moved to MSE but Win 8 uses Defender. Odd, if you ask me.

MSE is integrated into (or actually, replaces) Windows Defender in Windows 8. They just decided to keep the Defender name for it.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense...I liked the Defender name better anyway.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I don't use Windows Defender but rather Microsoft Security Essentials. I just checked that and the definition files are up to date.

Yeah, Microsoft probably issues virus definition files for MSE as often as for Defender. (For all I know, they're the same files... wink.gif )

The idea is that these definition files (rather than Windows Updates) are what's coming out every week or even more often, and that this might account for the confusion reported in the original post.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page