MyMovies - Do I need Home and Essentials Server? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to construct a fully automated rip station (insert disc and it rips) for DVDs that tags with full metadata. Eventually I would like to be able to migrate that metadata to Plex. (I understand there are hurdles)

I have heard that MyMovies.DK offers an excellent database for this kind of thing, and even has software that will accomplish this exact task called Home and Essentials Server

From: http://www.mymovies.dk/products/home-and-essentials-server.aspx
Quote:
Using the My Movies Home and Essentials software, copying of discs becomes a fully automated task, where a disc is inserted into the device, and then popped out again once copied*, making it simple and easy available for everyone in the household. The waiting time to watch purchased movies or listen to purchased music is now down to the disc copying time, making the copied discs automatically available on all devices throughout the house.

It appears that this 'server' version of MyMovies requires the Windows Home Server 2011 or Windows Home Server Essentials operating system. I was reading through this AVS thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474464/my-movies-home-and-essentials-server-solution , which indicates that it may be able to be installed on other server versions of Windows.

My question is: Can MyMovies Home and Essentials Server be installed on a plain vanilla Windows 7 Home Premium OS? I am curious as to why the Windows server edition seems to be a requirement for this software. What exactly is is doing/hosting?

Alternatively, My Movies Collection Management for Windows lists Windows 7 as an acceptable OS. It seems like it is more centered around tagging files (already ripped), but looking at the bottom of the info page we see this feature.

http://www.mymovies.dk/products/collection-management.aspx
Quote:
Copy Discs to Your Storage
My Movies offers a copy disc feature which allows you to copy DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray titles* to your computer or network storage. During the copy process your disc will automatically be identified through our online service, and the disc will be added to your collection with high quality metadata.

This seems to be functionally the same as My Movies Home and Essentials?? Does it do automated ripping too? Do I really need a server OS to get this feature? What kind of file type is this?

Overall I have been less than impressed with the MyMovies.DK website. Each product is not clearly differentiated or well explained. The opaque method requiring users purchase 'points' to unlock additional application features seems gimmicky an unprofessional. Even if the currency is foreign, a price is easier to understand. Its not clear which product even gets the unlocked features when you buy them.

TL;DR Can I use MyMovies Home and Essentials Server on Win7? What is the difference between that and My Movies Collection Management for Windows, which also seems to be able to rip DVDs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
No, you have to use WHS 2011 or Windows Server 2012 Essentials for the auto-ripping feature. I too have always been baffled by this requirement.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-13-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I look into this, I believe the reasoning for the WHS requirement has something to do with how that OS manages database file access, which MyMovies relies on.

Any integrators selling this product as a preinstalled solution?

--Jon
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page