post #271 of 274 Old 05-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

When it comes to lossless versus lossy, that is definitely not true; however, iTunes supplies tracks with a decent bitrate that should provide transparency (last I heard), compared with the tracks the service used to offer when it launched.

I'm talking as a player, not as a download center. Besides the differences are hardly noticeable.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 274 Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

I use iTunes and love it, it's simple, shows all album work, and works great with my iPod. As far as sound quality goes I don't think there would be any difference because digital is digital.
"Digital is digital" is a bit too reductive. If you are playing lossless files with a bit-perfect output, then yes, the results should be the same regardless of the player.
But iTunes does not have any bit-perfect output options.
post #273 of 274 Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

"But iTunes does not have any bit-perfect output options.
I believe OSX is inherently bit-perfect (at least with 44.1 KHz) but on a Windows Vista or newer PC you have to enable WASAPI in QuickTime, and then it becomes an option in iTunes.

Personally I only use iTunes with my iPod and iPhone (all LAME V0 MP3 created from my FLAC rips). I prefer MediaMonkey 4 over any other player (and I've tried them all at one time or another).
post #274 of 274 Old 05-25-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

I believe OSX is inherently bit-perfect (at least with 44.1 KHz) but on a Windows Vista or newer PC you have to enable WASAPI in QuickTime, and then it becomes an option in iTunes.

Personally I only use iTunes with my iPod and iPhone (all LAME V0 MP3 created from my FLAC rips). I prefer MediaMonkey 4 over any other player (and I've tried them all at one time or another).
iTunes does not use an exclusive output, so it won't change the system output settings based on the input sample rate. I don't think it uses Integer Mode on OSX either.
So if you play a 44.1kHz file but your system output is set to 96kHz, the system mixer will resample the output.
Players with an exclusive output would change the output to match the track's sample rate.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page