Why does Itunes SUCK SO MUCH ??? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 274 Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I run iTunes in a server fashion with a bunch of Apple TVs...mostly for ease of use. IHomeServer manages iTunes completely as if it was a user. Running iTunes under that is seriously night and day. I highly recommend it and its well worth the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I would love to invent something where when you pulled into your garage your car would connect with your wireless network and update your vehicle's stored music automatically. You could manage it on your laptop or tablet but it would sync automatically once it detected your car on your network.

Isn't this what Ford Sync and the GM equivalent do in their more premium sound systems? I believe at least some of the GM cars do have hard drives in the head unit...not sure about the sync to media server capability though. Can't remember where I heard it but seems that I also heard tell of some aftermarket mobile audio maker having a wifi or bluetooth synch capability with home media server. I'll have to go relook. It was one of those casual browsing events where I was looking for something else and just happened to come upon the information and went "hey that would be cool" but knew I wasn't about to invest in it so I moved on. I'll have to go back and look. If I find it again, I'll pass along.

EZed
post #93 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

My new vehicle has a USB in the center console and a 40GB hard drive in the head unit. Now that is the way to store and listen to music in the automobile! No more iPod, smartphone, etc.

I would love to invent something where when you pulled into your garage your car would connect with your wireless network and update your vehicle's stored music automatically. You could manage it on your laptop or tablet but it would sync automatically once it detected your car on your network.

The problem is, I've never seen an automobile head unit that comes anywhere close to the ease in which you can navigate a large music library on say an iPhone.
post #94 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Things that annoy me with iTunes/iDevices:
  1. Closed prioprietary systems rather than supporting/utilising open standards (Makes interfacing outside the iUniverse difficult).
  2. iDevices don't support WPS. I have a long ramdon WiFi password, so entering it in is a PITA. Previously I just copied a text file with the password onto my smartphone, and the cut and paste into the password prompt to connect to the wifi network. Can't copy a text file onto the iDevice. Found a work around by creating a note in outlook, syncing the note with the iDevice and then using cut and paste. FFS this is what WPS was created for, to keep things simple.
  3. iTunes wants to stick everything in its own library directory. I can't put different media in directories outside of the iTunes Library directory.
  4. iTunes freezes intermittently for me when syncing.
  5. If multiple people in the family have individual iDevices, sharing the same iTunes library causes a lot of issues unless each of the iDevices use the same AppleID. Otherwise I need to create individual libraries for each user and duplicate content. Apple really need to introduce family grouping of accounts, where each device has it's own AppleID but can be assigned to an overall family ID to share content.
  6. Doesn't support a central iTunes library which I can sync to from multiple PCs. Homesharing is fine in principle, but I need to transfer the files into the PC's library and then sync the iDevice from that PC. Also, homesharing only works if every PC and device uses the same AppleID. WiFi sync has never worked reliably enough for me and drains the battery pretty quickly.

post #95 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 215
If any automakers are out there listenting, please stop the direction you are headed (pun) with head units.

Think more like this http://www.oxygenaudio.com/fr/15-o-car-autoradio-dedie-iphone-3527570040573.html

With options . . .

I've been settling for this, which I still highly prefer to anything I've seen from Toyota, Ford, GM, Kia, etc http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/05/how-to-modify-the-galaxy-nexus-3-pin-car-dock-to-work-with-the-lte-version/
post #96 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

Closed prioprietary systems rather than supporting/utilising open standards (Makes interfacing outside the iUniverse difficult).
Well that's intentional, they want to lock you into their ecosystem so it's harder to move away. I agree that it sucks though, and is actually pushing me away from Apple hardware now.

After four (soon to be five) generations of iPads, there's still no good way to stream video content to them.
They don't support DLNA, only HomeSharing, and only play H.264 encoded MP4 files with AAC audio - so no streaming my DVD/Blu-ray library to the iPads we have in the house. I'm thinking I might replace them all with Surfaces instead of upgrading to the new iPad 5 and iPad minis.

If you buy all your video content off the iTunes store, it works great, but the quality is unacceptable to me.
Quote:

If multiple people in the family have individual iDevices, sharing the same iTunes library causes a lot of issues unless each of the iDevices use the same AppleID. Otherwise I need to create individual libraries for each user and duplicate content. Apple really need to introduce family grouping of accounts, where each device has it's own AppleID but can be assigned to an overall family ID to share content.

Doesn't support a central iTunes library which I can sync to from multiple PCs. Homesharing is fine in principle, but I need to transfer the files into the PC's library and then sync the iDevice from that PC. Also, homesharing only works if every PC and device uses the same AppleID. WiFi sync has never worked reliably enough for me and drains the battery pretty quickly.
Your device's Apple ID and Store ID do not have to be the same. I don't think you HomeSharing account has to be the same either; I was prompted with a username/password when I enabled it.
post #97 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Things that annoy me with iTunes/iDevices:
  1. Closed prioprietary systems rather than supporting/utilising open standards (Makes interfacing outside the iUniverse difficult).

iTunes has supported MP3 since forever, and ALAC has been open source for a year or two and was widely supported by lots of other programs before that.

As for video, it's a pain that iTunes doesn't support MKV. More to the point, it's a pain the Apple TV requires everything to be in iTunes.
Quote:
iTunes wants to stick everything in its own library directory. I can't put different media in directories outside of the iTunes Library directory.

Nope. My music folder has always been on a different drive than my iTunes folder, which actually contains no music at all. While my iTunes library is on my SSD boot drive in a location of my choosing, my 540 GB music library resides on a hard drive, yet it all still appears in iTunes, with no trickery involved.
post #98 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

iTunes has supported MP3 since forever, and ALAC has been open source for a year or two and was widely supported by lots of other programs before that.

As for video, it's a pain that iTunes doesn't support MKV. .

and ALAC still carries DRM. When Apple goes belly-up like Pan Am, all of your ALAC music will be SOL.

and why does everything still try and put QuickTime on my computer. Hell, I'd rather live with flash.
post #99 of 274 Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

and ALAC still carries DRM. When Apple goes belly-up like Pan Am, all of your ALAC music will be SOL.

Nope. (My 423 GB of DRM-free, bog standard ALAC files begs to differ.)
Quote:
and why does everything still try and put QuickTime on my computer. Hell, I'd rather live with flash.

Nope. (It's been a long time since iTunes came with QuickTime.)
post #100 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just because they support a couple of open standards does not make their devices any less closed-off or proprietary.
They don't support FLAC audio for a start. Or the MKV container.

They don't support industry standards like DLNA for media sharing, an only support H.264 MP4 files for video. Can't watch anything with MPEG2 (DVDs) or VC-1 (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) and you need to convert the audio from DD/DTS to AAC.
You can't even watch MKV files that contain supported H.264 video and AAC audio.
Quote:

As for video, it's a pain that iTunes doesn't support MKV. More to the point, it's a pain the Apple TV requires everything to be in iTunes.
It's more than a pain. I can only stream about 1% of my video library (all my DVDs, Blu-rays, and HD-DVDs) to my iPads.
post #101 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Quote:

Just because they support a couple of open standards does not make their devices any less closed-off or proprietary.
They don't support FLAC audio for a start. Or the MKV container.

I already said iTunes doesn't support MKV, and that it's a pain. Unlike all the nonsense that's been spewed in this thread, that's a legitimate weakness for people invested in that. As for FLAC, I don't care. I converted all my FLAC to ALAC, and I haven't lost anything. The only software I use that doesn't support it is Audacity; software I use besides iTunes that does support it includes XBMC, VLC, foobar2000, dbPoweramp, EZ CD Audio Converter, Cuetools, and Mp3tag, and IIRC, this was true for all those programs even before Apple made ALAC open source. Converting was a non-issue for me, and it was totally worth it to move from Zune, Creative Zen, and Sansa to iTunes and my iPod Touch about three years ago.
Quote:
They don't support industry standards like DLNA for media sharing, an only support H.264 MP4 files for video. Can't watch anything with MPEG2 (DVDs) or VC-1 (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) and you need to convert the audio from DD/DTS to AAC.
You can't even watch MKV files that contain supported H.264 video and AAC audio.

I know, but this thread has been about iTunes for audio and operational aspects of it (review the OP). I regard the video limitations as more a weakness of the Apple TV than iTunes. I don't use iTunes for video. I use WMC for CableCard and XBMC for everything else. The Apple TV would not be on my list for local storage video playback as I don't have any video in iTunes and no desire to start. There are lots of alternatives, including WD TV Live, the more or less crappy DLNA clients built into any basically every TV, BD player, etc that's being produced nowadays, etc. That said, there are a lot of people who live in the Apple ecosystem and love the Apple TV. It's not for me, though, at least not for video. I do use one headless as an Airplay bridge to a receiver in the bedroom for audio, primarily streaming to it from my Touch. I also sometimes use the Remote App on the Touch to control iTunes on the PC, which is connected to the main system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist 
Quote:

It's more than a pain. I can only stream about 1% of my video library (all my DVDs, Blu-rays, and HD-DVDs) to my iPads.

Can't you use Plex? I have it on my iPod Touch, and it works pretty decently. Unlike XBMC for iOS, it's a legit app that doesn't require jailbreaking.
post #102 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Converting was a non-issue for me, and it was totally worth it to move from Zune, Creative Zen, and Sansa to iTunes and my iPod Touch about three years ago.
This assumes that all your other hardware supports ALAC. There's still plenty of older hardware out there which supports FLAC but not ALAC.
Newer devices should support FLAC and ALAC. It's open-source and free. There's no reason not to support it.
Quote:

I know, but this thread has been about iTunes for audio and operational aspects of it (review the OP). I regard the video limitations as more a weakness of the Apple TV than iTunes. I don't use iTunes for video. I use WMC for CableCard and XBMC for everything else. The Apple TV would not be on my list for local storage video playback as I don't have any video in iTunes and no desire to start.
I'm not talking about the Apple TV - I'm talking about streaming video from my PC to the iPads we have in the house. That all goes through iTunes HomeSharing. I have my PC connected directly to the TV for playback on it.
Quote:

There are lots of alternatives, including WD TV Live, the more or less crappy DLNA clients built into any basically every TV, BD player, etc that's being produced nowadays, etc. That said, there are a lot of people who live in the Apple ecosystem and love the Apple TV. It's not for me, though, at least not for video. I do use one headless as an Airplay bridge to a receiver in the bedroom for audio, primarily streaming to it from my Touch. I also sometimes use the Remote App on the Touch to control iTunes on the PC, which is connected to the main system.
And only iTunes or other iOS hardware can send audio to that device. I can't send audio to it from JRiver or any other software player like anything supporting the DLNA standard that Apple refuses to support.
Quote:

Can't you use Plex? I have it on my iPod Touch, and it works pretty decently. Unlike XBMC for iOS, it's a legit app that doesn't require jailbreaking.
I think that requires you to dedicate PC resources to converting everything to a format the devices like, which is not an option here - converted video looks bad, and it means only one device is able to watch content at a time. It's a crappy workaround forced by the closed nature of Apple's devices.
And if they're going to be so restrictive on what formats are supported, iTunes should handle the conversion rather than something like Plex.
post #103 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
There are a few iOS apps that can support DLNA playback (limited to H.264/MPEG4 codec). AirPlay is basically a modified DLNA with encryption to support iTunes DRM. It does not offer anything that DLNA can't do.
post #104 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 215
XBMC is an AirPlay target smile.gif I must say the AirPlay feature has left me waiting for an Android response for quite some time. Everything seems to be pointing towards Miracast as that answer.

DLNA never worked well for me with a PS3 or Bravia TV. That's not to say it doesn't work, but if it's working well for you would you share the specific device manufacturer it works well with?
post #105 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Supporting a few select hardware and codec (AirPlay) means less problematic than DLNA which tried to cover all other devices. But it also means less flexible. IIRC, AirPlay Video streaming is limited to H.264 with AAC audio only. That will not be suitable of my needs which is BD rip with HD audio (DTS-HD MA mostly) that I can do with a simple server and Sony BD player.

I didn't say DLNA will solve everything (it doesn't and in most cases it requires transcoding regardless of the DLNA certification). But at least it is an open system that you can find variety of solutions to your unique situations. Not so with AirPlay. You are limited to Apple devices and a few certified target devices. Most of them are audio devices because from what I read, Apple don't certify 3rd party devices as for AirPlay Video.

In real world, AirPlay (which my receiver supports) is as fragile as DLNA. I saw same amount of complaints of AirPlay not working as DLNA in my receiver's thread.

As for Android's answer to AirPlay, there don't need any as far as I concerned after using both systems on audio playback. HTC has its HTC connect which is basically same as AirPlay. But given HTC's financial situation and Samsung's dominance, I don't see that goes anywhere.
post #106 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

There are lots of alternatives, including WD TV Live, the more or less crappy DLNA clients built into any basically every TV, BD player, etc that's being produced nowadays, etc. That said, there are a lot of people who live in the Apple ecosystem and love the Apple TV. It's not for me, though, at least not for video. I do use one headless as an Airplay bridge to a receiver in the bedroom for audio, primarily streaming to it from my Touch. I also sometimes use the Remote App on the Touch to control iTunes on the PC, which is connected to the main system.
And only iTunes or other iOS hardware can send audio to that device. I can't send audio to it from JRiver or any other software player like anything supporting the DLNA standard that Apple refuses to support.

If you want some sort of universal device, you need to buy something else. Obviously. My point in bringing up MP3 and ALAC is that using Apple for music doesn't mean taking any irreversible steps, nor does it necessarily imply giving up everything else you've been using. Your MP3s will work as is, and ALAC is supported by the half dozen programs I listed for audio. If you simply must have native FLAC support, you will have to look elsewhere. Obviously. I did not find it particularly onerous to convert all my FLAC to ALAC, and it was well worth it to be able to use my new iPod Touch. If it hadn't worked out when I tried it three years ago, I could have easily gone back without losing anything, which was a hard requirement when I first considered trying Apple. As for the Apple TV, I didn't buy it for any purpose other than to be a headless, audio-only Airplay bridge. It does what I bought it for, and the sum total is a great experience, far better than the DLNA that came with my TV and BD player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist 
Quote:

I think that requires you to dedicate PC resources to converting everything to a format the devices like, which is not an option here - converted video looks bad, and it means only one device is able to watch content at a time. It's a crappy workaround forced by the closed nature of Apple's devices.
And if they're going to be so restrictive on what formats are supported, iTunes should handle the conversion rather than something like Plex.

When Plex needs to transcode, it does it on the fly. I just tried streaming a 1080p/DTS rip to my Touch, and it looks great on the small retina display. After it starts streaming, CPU usage on my i5-4670 due to Plex is about 2% with one-second spikes to 90% every 10-15 seconds. As for the one-device limitation you mentioned, I have no idea about that. All I can say is that streaming video to mobile devices is a rare thing for me to do, and Plex works all right for my purposes.
post #107 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 24
My own personal opinion of Apple - it's like the old joke that you do not have to run faster than the grizzly bear, you just have to run faster than the other hunter. smile.gif

Even now, looking at laptops, no one seems to be able to copy Macbook Air - the clones always try to skimp on something to save a few bucks. Tried many, many ultrabooks over the last 2 years (thank you Amazon for your generous return policy). Always something - the keyboard is cheap, or the touchpad is cheap, or the screen is too dim or the design is hideous, or the build quality is bad, or it is loaded with junk software - there is always something that is missing.

Regarding phones - after going from iPhone 4S to Galalxy Note 2 - no software updates in sight, the phone is loaded with crapware from AT&T and Samsung which is useless at best and intrusive at worst. I don't really need customizability or flexibility of Android, the only useful thing the Samsung has for me is the flashlight widget and iOs7 now has it available from lock screen smile.gif Will go back to iPhone in 1 year since iOs imho is a bit more streamlined and I didn't find much use for the big screen like I thought I would.

What's the alternative to iTunes and iTunes Match? Google music which isn't any better, IMHO. In the end I like Apple's product a little bit better.
post #108 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Well you could root your Note 2 and either installed Titanium Backup and freeze/disable the apps you don't like, or install a debloated ROM. Or you could install many other ROMs that have nothing to do with TouchWiz UI.

post #109 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Been there. Done that for past couple generations of Samsung phones. Nothing could bring you the perfect solution. Android, although very flexible and powerful, is vastly dis-organized and I have yet to encounter one Android phone that does not lag. Had an iPad mini and not that impressed with iOS either.

In the end, whatever makes you comfortable is your own choice.
post #110 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Well you could root your Note 2 and either installed Titanium Backup and freeze/disable the apps you don't like, or install a debloated ROM. Or you could install many other ROMs that have nothing to do with TouchWiz UI.

Sure I could but I prefer to spend my tinkering time on my home theatre. smile.gif

A phone for me is something that should work with minimal effort.
post #111 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

I choose Apple because I want the best of the best. They lead the way and others simply copy their ideas. The whole industry owes Apple for inventing the smartphone. Sure their products tend to cost more but the quality is simply outstanding and none of the others come close.
I tried the whole Android thing a couple of times but always return to iPhone. Android phones are a perfect alternative for the lower income demographics but if you can afford it go Apple.

eek.gif

I hope to God you were kidding.

With Android's open platform and intellectual users such as programmers, there is no reason to call Android a budget platform for people with little cash to spend.

I just heard a new spec yesterday..

35% iOS
52% Android

That snide remark is just what I'd expect to hear from an ignorant iPhone user.

Tell me.. Is ANY this possible with your iPhone?

Http://WordPress.tinozplace.com

Just in case you can't bring yourself to watch more, the answer is a resounding "absolutely not"

Besides the things I've not documented on that site and the things you saw; it will never be possible on iOS because mother Apple needs to protect you from yourself.

You go on with your overpriced phone while I have total automation and a very open platform.
bombertodd likes this.
post #112 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

Tell me.. Is ANY this possible with your iPhone?

Http://WordPress.tinozplace.com

Quote:
This Page Cannot Be Displayed

Based on your corporate access policies, this web site ( http://wordpress.tinozplace.com/ ) has been blocked because it has been determined by Web Reputation Filters to be a security threat to your computer or the corporate network. This web site has been associated with malware/spyware.

Threat Type: othermalware
Threat Reason: Domain reported and verified as serving malware. IP addresses are not typically used as legitimate web hosts.

If you have questions, please contact your corporate network administrator and provide the codes shown below.

Notification codes: (1, MALWARE, othermalware, Domain reported and verified as serving malware. IP addresses are not typically used as legitimate web hosts., BLOCK-MALWARE, 0x1109d1a6, 1381871846.057, AAAD+gAAAAAAAAAAHf8ACP8AAAD/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAE=, http://wordpress.tinozplace.com/)

Probably a false alarm but just to be sure this is not some super-duper Android malware that you will never ever get on the iPhone, right? biggrin.gif
post #113 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing it's because it's a dynamic IP address thats been flagged in the past.

The only thing downloaded on there are videos hosted on YouTube, no other downloads..
post #114 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My new vehicle has a USB in the center console and a 40GB hard drive in the head unit. Now that is the way to store and listen to music in the automobile! No more iPod, smartphone, etc..

Eek, that sounds so old school. I'd hate that. I much prefer my current setup: a head unit that talks to my iPhone, via bluetooth, which can access my entire library while on the road since it's in the cloud.
post #115 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

And Blam you hit a pedestrian.
post #116 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

And Blam you hit a pedestrian.

As if navigating through your music library on your head-unit could possibly be easier or faster than on a smartphone......
post #117 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right.. Using an iPhone with one button can't be that hard. wink.gif

To the person that said Android is disorganized... It's as organized as make it. No more. If you can't understand how to use launchers like Nova, that's another thing. The customizability is well beyond that of any platform.

And me, a Windows guy saying that..
post #118 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

Eek, that sounds so old school. I'd hate that. I much prefer my current setup: a head unit that talks to my iPhone, via bluetooth, which can access my entire library while on the road since it's in the cloud.

I suppose this would be the better wave of the future where you car audio head unit is really only an amplified docking station for your tablet or phone (be it Apple, Android or Windows) but being totally dependent on the cloud for content is also a bit hazardous because now you have to be always guaranteed of a cell signal or wifi signal. I can tell you for a fact that if you get off the beaten path (rural America just a few miles off the interstate or even long stretches in the middle of nowhere on the interstate) you'll be cursing the idea of cloud anything. So I still advocate some measure of local storage. Either that or Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and others have a lot of work to do to make sure "they can hear me now".

I for one would certainly wish for this type of system where a tablet or phone just becomes the remote control unit to a server environment back home. One interface for the home, the car, the office or the waiting room. But that would have to be a very robust communications system to meet the reliability and the coast to coast coverage capability. Heck we don't even have fiber completely coast to coast yet. I wonder how long it will take to get that type robust cell/wifi/other comm capabiliity everywhere in the US?

Just face it...we ain't there yet. Doesn't matter whether you are Apple, Android or Windows...means nothing when you can't get to your content, make a phone call or access any type cloud or reach back services. We got a long way to go yet.

EZed
post #119 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Cloud, schmoud. Memory is so cheap and synching so easy there's no need to have any music anywhere but on a portable device where yo can access it now, irrespective of mobile coverage.
post #120 of 274 Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Your device's Apple ID and Store ID do not have to be the same. I don't think you HomeSharing account has to be the same either; I was prompted with a username/password when I enabled it.
I know they don't have to be, but it becomes a massive PITA and far more complicated than it needs to be (http://gigaom.com/2012/05/26/how-many-apple-ids-should-your-family-have/). It is a common issue with similar digital distribution services such as Steam and Origin (although Steam is going to introduce family sharing of games).
Quote:

Nope. My music folder has always been on a different drive than my iTunes folder, which actually contains no music at all. While my iTunes library is on my SSD boot drive in a location of my choosing, my 540 GB music library resides on a hard drive, yet it all still appears in iTunes, with no trickery involved.
If I want iTunes to organise the media and rename files and folders, then it needs to be in the iTunes Media folder from what I understand. If I don't let iTunes copy files into the ITunes Media folder when adding it to my library, then it won't organise the media for me.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page