Why does Itunes SUCK SO MUCH ??? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 274 Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthonyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Um, sometimes people may use their brain for things other than tinkering with a smartphone...just sayin' smile.gif

That's the beauty of it, I can use both my intellectual ability to tinker with phones because I'm a developer. In the process, my whole environment is controlled, not just my phone.

With iPhone, it inspires no creativity other than "how pretty can I make this app so the mindless drones will buy it and not complain about the limited functionality."

Seriously, how difficult is it?

On another note.. I hear my 5 year old son saying "I want an iPad"..

I keep telling him that it's a fad and smart people don't use iPhone or iPad, and my money will never get spent on an iPad. "Smart people use Android"
AnthonyB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 274 Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthonyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If Exxon is terrible and hates consumers for its profit margin at only 6.44% (in Mar 2012 it was 12.5%), what does that make Apple, Evil Incarnate?

It's funny, the mindless corporate oil hating drones are the ones that use iPhone.

Give me a count on the people in San Fransisco alone that use iPhone.

I bet 75% (or more) of people that own hybrid or alternative fuel cars own an iPhone.
AnthonyB is offline  
post #183 of 274 Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
lordhutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Well, then I give up. Let us know what you think about that HTC One Droid.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Well, I was looking a little on HTC's website. It looks pretty nice. I'm a little pressed for time at the moment so I will have to check it out later in greater detail and then maybe stop at the ATT store tomorrow to see how it feels.

Thanks for the info.
lordhutt is offline  
post #184 of 274 Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Just fyi, the HTC One has a news feed as its main home page (I forget what marketing name they gave it). I personally like and use it, but if you want to turn on your phone and see a page of app icons (a la iPhone), I believe you can go into settings and designate one of the other screens to be your main screen.

Also, don't judge Google Now (it's counterpart to SIRI) until you've had the phone a month or two. It learns from your use and makes information available to you as it learns. I'm not thrilled that they recently changed the voice trigger from "Google" to "OK Google", but whatever.

I really like Google Now, but I can't bring myself to use the voice command in public. I wouldn't do that with SIRI either.

Sent from my Nexus 7
leebo is offline  
post #185 of 274 Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
lordhutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks leebo.
Well just watched this youtube video.... gotta give the win to Google Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LvJOFTlGo

HTC review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF75-HPdUfY

Seems like an honest review here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBrPH0xukFs
Unfortunately in this video I learned that HTC does NOT have integrated visual voicemail:eek:
lordhutt is offline  
post #186 of 274 Old 10-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post


I keep telling him that it's a fad and smart people don't use iPhone or iPad, and my money will never get spent on an iPad. "Smart people use Android"

Please tell me you are trolling.

It's Coke vs Pepsi for God's sake...
durack is offline  
post #187 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

Thanks leebo.

Unfortunately in this video I learned that HTC does NOT have integrated visual voicemail:eek:

Just a few quick notes about that last video:

He used the international version of the HTC One. As I said, the T-Mobile version does come with VVM (not sure about AT&T, V, or Sprint).

Also, looks like he changed the phones stock home screen, which I had mentioned b4 that it was possible if you don't want the news feed as your main screen. Just go into settings after you set up the phone.

I thought you wanted a smaller phone? Be sure to check out the HTC One Mini.

If you use a GPS app in the car, be sure you have a cig lighter charger. Afaik, all GPS apps suck power like crazy. That's been my experience anyway.

And lastly, don't leave the store without playing a tune first. You will be impressed by the speaker system.

And just to tie this back to the original subject, the iPhone does work better with iTunes than the HTC One!

Sent from my Nexus 7
leebo is offline  
post #188 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,660
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

Unfortunately in this video I learned that HTC does NOT have integrated visual voicemail:eek:

Android doesn't offer custom text tones out of the box or visual voicemail

The stock phone app in Android DOES have a visual voice mail component baked in, but Verizon and other carriers seem to be in some sort of cahoot to force dumb android phone owners to pay for it. I say dumb, because on a stock version of android you can integrate Google Voicemail into the recent calls menu of your phone and playback directly. Kind of an improved Visual voicemail IMO (I use it daily) since you don't have to switch tabs.

Apple was the only company with the gonads to say, "our phone will cost $X, include Visual VM, not have your crapware pre-installed, etc" Meanwhile they left a ton of other things out.

Also, FWIW, there is no phone called the Galaxy 3. There is a Galaxy Note 3 which was released within the past month (or 2 months) and a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S3 is sometimes referred to as SGS3 or SGSIII. It's debut was over 2 years ago. The iphone you could purchase at that time was the 4s (for comparison's sake, no LTE). The SGS3 is a Galaxy Nexus with improved camera and processor, although the processor isn't much improved (contrary to what dumb android forums say) since Samsung was always cooking the books in their firmware to be high performing in synthetic benchmarks.

Location is excellent, and it sucks way less juice than a magellan handheld. Network location is miles faster than actual GPS, and it typically uses less power by activating a part of the chipset that is commonly not in a deep standby state. The chipset design (SoC) is what dictates the GPS, and the accuracy reflects that. However, the quickness can be vastly different based on software and user settings
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #189 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,054
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Visual Voice Mail is a carrier specific feature. My AT&T HTC One X (2012 model) has it built-in. But not all AT&T Android phones have it. This is hardly an Android's fault. I always prefer Google Voice over any in-built VVM. Google Voice is one of my favorite item on Android. No other platform, IPhone or else, has this tight intergradation for cheap international calls, free text message and free visual voice mail.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #190 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
lordhutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Just a few quick notes about that last video:

He used the international version of the HTC One. As I said, the T-Mobile version does come with VVM (not sure about AT&T, V, or Sprint).

I thought you wanted a smaller phone? Be sure to check out the HTC One Mini.

If you use a GPS app in the car, be sure you have a cig lighter charger. Afaik, all GPS apps suck power like crazy. That's been my experience anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ok, I have ATT so I will have to find out. Didn't even realize that was the regular One. Correct, I don't want a phone that big.
As for the GPS... well, I know on the iphone as long and I hit the button so the screen stays off unless its actually telling me to turn then power use is unnoticeable.
If you would let the screen stay on then yes it will crush the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Android doesn't offer custom text tones out of the box or visual voicemail

The stock phone app in Android DOES have a visual voice mail component baked in, but Verizon and other carriers seem to be in some sort of cahoot to force dumb android phone owners to pay for it. I say dumb, because on a stock version of android you can integrate Google Voicemail into the recent calls menu of your phone and playback directly. Kind of an improved Visual voicemail IMO (I use it daily) since you don't have to switch tabs.

Apple was the only company with the gonads to say, "our phone will cost $X, include Visual VM, not have your crapware pre-installed, etc" Meanwhile they left a ton of other things out.

Also, FWIW, there is no phone called the Galaxy 3. There is a Galaxy Note 3 which was released within the past month (or 2 months) and a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S3 is sometimes referred to as SGS3 or SGSIII. It's debut was over 2 years ago. The iphone you could purchase at that time was the 4s (for comparison's sake, no LTE). The SGS3 is a Galaxy Nexus with improved camera and processor, although the processor isn't much improved (contrary to what dumb android forums say) since Samsung was always cooking the books in their firmware to be high performing in synthetic benchmarks.

Location is excellent, and it sucks way less juice than a magellan handheld. Network location is miles faster than actual GPS, and it typically uses less power by activating a part of the chipset that is commonly not in a deep standby state. The chipset design (SoC) is what dictates the GPS, and the accuracy reflects that. However, the quickness can be vastly different based on software and user settings

Now that you mention it I remember when I had the Galaxy I had separate apps running for custom text tones and VVM... for some reason they did not play well together.
As for the particular phone I had, I believe it was the S3... so based on what you are saying it was simply not the newest Android at the time.

However and I think many of my misconceptions on the Android line was that after being used to an iphone I believe I assumed that every Android phone worked the same....

I really like the text tone (custom ones) option that I have on the iphone. If someone is texting me I like to know if its important enough for me to stop what I am doing to look at the phone. In my line of work sometimes its a pain to have to stop what I am doing to get my phone.
Anyone using both this and VVM without any issue?

I also use a service called trap call on my phone. www.trapcall.com
Anyone have any experience with that on the Android?
lordhutt is offline  
post #191 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Also, if people are basing their experience of the Android based platform from a non-rooted Samsung device then you're really doing yourself a disservice by judging the operating system off of one bad experience. Samsung's take on Android is notoriously poor and it's a shame they have such a big market share. HTC's interpretation is closer to what the original Android is but if you want pure Android then the Nexus line of devices is where it is at. From what I've read Motorola has also done a decent job with the OS, and really hit it out of the park with the Moto X.

Actually what's wrong specifically with Samsung's launcher? It's simple and easy to use, it was laggy before on older devices that I tried but now with more powerful hardware like my Note 2 it seems just fine. Has icons on screen, has folders, has a weather widget, I don't really need anything else.

I tried three top rated launchers and got rid of them after a few minutes each - to me it felt like a huge waste of time to sit around and play with icons on my phone. Not that my hobbies are more "productive" but at least I enjoy them. Playing with a phone is just not my thing.

Going back to iTunes - it is risky to change something that millions of people are currently happy with and it does work okay for non tech savvy who you do not ever dare to anger.
durack is offline  
post #192 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

The stock phone app in Android DOES have a visual voice mail component baked in, but Verizon and other carriers seem to be in some sort of cahoot to force dumb android phone owners to pay for it. I say dumb, because on a stock version of android you can integrate Google Voicemail into the recent calls menu of your phone and playback directly.

Is this possible ONLY on the stock version? I like HTC's Sense 5 on my One, I'm not sure I would ever install a stock Rom on this phone. I've had it for over three months and I haven't even rooted it yet! I'm waiting until I need tethering.
leebo is offline  
post #193 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

.Going back to iTunes - it is risky to change something that millions of people are currently happy with and it does work okay for non tech savvy who you do not ever dare to anger.

Actually, Apple showed they have zero fear of angering their customers when they changed their connector last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7
leebo is offline  
post #194 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Actually, Apple showed they have zero fear of angering their customers when they changed their connector last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7

No comparison really.

Connector is something you plug in and it requires zero learning. Plugging in the new Lightning connector is in no way harder, in fact it is easier since there is no more "up" or "down".

Any major change in iTunes will require people to learn something new. Us on this forum like to tinker around with stuff. A large number of people out there actively hates learning anything techhology related.
Any time you force people to learn something they do not particularly want to learn, you get RAGE. smile.gif
durack is offline  
post #195 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Also, if people are basing their experience of the Android based platform from a non-rooted Samsung device then you're really doing yourself a disservice by judging the operating system off of one bad experience. Samsung's take on Android is notoriously poor and it's a shame they have such a big market share. HTC's interpretation is closer to what the original Android is but if you want pure Android then the Nexus line of devices is where it is at. From what I've read Motorola has also done a decent job with the OS, and really hit it out of the park with the Moto X.

Actually what's wrong specifically with Samsung's launcher? It's simple and easy to use, it was laggy before on older devices that I tried but now with more powerful hardware like my Note 2 it seems just fine. Has icons on screen, has folders, has a weather widget, I don't really need anything else.

I tried three top rated launchers and got rid of them after a few minutes each - to me it felt like a huge waste of time to sit around and play with icons on my phone. Not that my hobbies are more "productive" but at least I enjoy them. Playing with a phone is just not my thing.

Going back to iTunes - it is risky to change something that millions of people are currently happy with and it does work okay for non tech savvy who you do not ever dare to anger.
IMO the only ones angered would be the ones wearing the Emperor's New Clothes i.e. the sheep who have wasted hundreds to thousands of dollars on the Apple promise. If that weren't so we'd still have 8-Tracks.
olyteddy is online now  
post #196 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

IMO the only ones angered would be the ones wearing the Emperor's New Clothes i.e. the sheep who have wasted hundreds to thousands of dollars on the Apple promise. If that weren't so we'd still have 8-Tracks.

Er, I have no idea what you are talking about...
durack is offline  
post #197 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39

You know what, if Apple keeps stealing features from Android then one day they may finally end up being as good. It's funny how in Apple land, feature X found on competing phone is 'useless and junk' until the day Apple copies it, when suddenly its 'invented by Apple, magical and revolutionary'.

 

- phones don't need to be bigger than 3.5"

- notification drawer

- control center

- OTA updates

- sync app data

- voice input

 

and many others. All shamelessly ripped off from Android. Meanwhile Apple patents things like 'rounded corners' and 'slide to unlock' and bases their business on litigation and marketing. And Apple fanboys act as if Android is not an alternative. iPhone 6 is rumored to have a 4.5-5" display, and once again the Apple apologists will suddenly go from 'Android phones are too big' to 'the new iPhone size is perfect' overnight.

 

Android has improved hugely the last few years. The big problem it still has is oem's and carriers who have their own skins, block updates and shovel bloatware. This makes the overall experience much worse and the phones slower. But as a platform, Android is far more usable and open. Apple has done a great job in providing updates and due to their market presence, the App Store has in general nicer designed apps. But Android apps in general also tend to be cheaper or free, and the OS itself has a lot more features.

I have an iPad 3, it feels no different from the 1st gen iPad. The only update Apple has made in 5 years is iOS7, which has features copied from Android and flat look copied from Metro, and its a disaster as you can tell from any Apple fansite. Slow, full of lag.

Defcon is offline  
post #198 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,496
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
John Sully and 72.9.159.100 like this.
olyteddy is online now  
post #199 of 274 Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,660
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Actually what's wrong specifically with Samsung's launcher? It's simple and easy to use, it was laggy before on older devices that I tried but now with more powerful hardware like my Note 2 it seems just fine. Has icons on screen, has folders, has a weather widget, I don't really need anything else.

It's not just the launcher, but the other "tweaks" that are associated with the touchwiz nature skin
  • Smart scroll, smart pause, and air view are classic hit/miss functionality. For me they do not work naturally. If I try hard enough (to show off the feature) they can sometimes work, but never well enough to use daily. Most people I know with a SGS4/GN3 don't even know about the features, in which case they are a burden and confusion to the clean/smoothness of the underlying os
  • The "upgraded" camera app has a few extra features. It would be preferable if they added those features without breaking the stock camera's ability to "swipe left to gallery" which is a great feature. It prevents the need for a "gallery" app to even exist, as it's simply a shortcut from the camera app. The multiple camera modes are okay, but I'd rather see as an upgrade option rather than breaking useful other features
  • The S Translator, S Voice Drive, S Memo, and S Health apps just show the idiotic samsung tendency to repeat existing functionality. They are bundled junk and in the case of Translator and Voice Drive, they aren't as good as their associated Google counterparts
  • S Memo and the pen input are kind of "innovative" since pen/stylus input isn't a readily available feature in stock apps. They were forced to create this one, so no dinging them for that
  • The stock phone app lets you swipe between the dialer/recents/contact screens. To preserve their swipe left to text / swipe right to call "feature" they broke the ability to swipe between dialer/recents/contacts. This is the kind of crap that makes updates take longer as well, but what's worse is the stock swipe left to text doesn't honor using GV as the default SMS app. I like the "swipe between screens" feature much more, and get frustrated when using my wife's S4.
  • While it's not huge, I think the color scheme is fugly compared to stock. I'm sure others easily feel the exact opposite

In general the beauty of Android is app synchronization between multiple devices. Amazon and Samsung either completely kill (Amazon) or gimp (Samsung) this ability with their ugly customization. I shudder when people I know want to buy Kindle Fires for several of the same reasons, notably the Amazon store over the Google Play store
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Is this possible ONLY on the stock version? I like HTC's Sense 5 on my One, I'm not sure I would ever install a stock Rom on this phone. I've had it for over three months and I haven't even rooted it yet! I'm waiting until I need tethering.
The baked in part that Google showed off didn't arrive for a while. I can't even find a screenshot that was included in their slideshow. http://www.slashgear.com/ice-cream-sandwich-visual-voicemail-missing-in-action-google-responds-18196586/ If you are referring to that, none of the US carriers were willing to "give" that feature to Android users the way it is given to iphone users.

Google Voice came up with a nifty workaround finally (5 months later smile.gif ) http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/google-voice-for-android-now-with-ice.html

If you are referring to this type of GV / recent call log voicemail integration then I'm not sure where it is available. I know it's not available in the default Galaxy S or Note skins. Not sure about Sense
Mfusick likes this.
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #200 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Member
 
72.9.159.100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mod's edit - pointless post deleted.
72.9.159.100 is offline  
post #201 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,869
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 946

I came from a Motorola Droid 4, and as a software engineer for decades I have to say that that thing is a disaster.  When I switched over to the Samsung Galaxy Note II (and bit the bullet on using a touch screen keyboard---oye), I entered a MUCH smoother phone experience.

 

I haven't yet tested out HTC, et. al.  But this Samsung has me fairly happy.  It doesn't violate the law of least surprise like the Moto Droid 4 did every other second.

 

Regarding the "problems" with Android:  The only problem that I can identify completely is that the OEMs are given far too much latitude with how they can tailor the phone.  It's really unfortunate and something called a bad business model.  Period end of story.  And before anyone pipes up with the misdirecting lame "but it give you choice!" or even lamer "that's how open source works" mantras, be aware that a phone can be bullet proof out of the box and yet still give you the same full control over tailoring it later.  And what's more, yes, Google maintains complete control over the Android trademark.  They can refuse it to anyone not following a stringent set of initial out-of-the-box guidelines.  Instead they turn a blind eye, hand too much control over to Motorola engineers who think they understand better than everyone else about how to reinvent wheels that should have been left alone.  And this is TRULY a mystery now that Google actually owns Motorola.


Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
tgm1024 is offline  
post #202 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,869
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 946

Regarding iTunes.  I watch my wife, who is an Apple fan, struggle endlessly trying to sync her iPhone 4 music from another computer using that all-in-one PITA.  Really, Apple.  If you're going to design a centralized conduit to the mother ship, it had better be seamless.  I've been accused of "not understanding Apple".  So be it.  I'll happily "not understand Apple" then.

 

Also, about iTunes/iPod in particular, they historically changed terminology on everyone.  Think back a long long time before the iPod was around and things like the Rio were the "MP3 players" that folks had.  The notion of a playlist was not the notion of what was loaded onto the player.  What was on the player was on the player, and a playlist was one of many different subsets of those that you were interested in listening to.  When the iPod showed up, this got all twisted around.  Now a "playlist" is what's "synced" to your player.  Weird model, one I just don't like, and to this day it's why I've purposefully taken a software sledgehammer to the iPod Touch G1 that we inherited with a utility that circumvents all of that.


Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
tgm1024 is offline  
post #203 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Regarding iTunes.  I watch my wife, who is an Apple fan, struggle endlessly trying to sync her iPhone 4 music from another computer using that all-in-one PITA.  Really, Apple.  If you're going to design a centralized conduit to the mother ship, it had better be seamless.  I've been accused of "not understanding Apple".  So be it.  I'll happily "not understand Apple" then.

What do you mean sync iPhone music from another computer, if it's what I think she wants to do, I think it is impossible. You can only sync to one computer, thanks to combination of various consumer-unfriendly big business policies smile.gif

Personally for my idevices I use itunes match/cloud which allows me to bypass any kind of syncing. Haven't synced a single idevice since then. New music (either CDs or Amazon mp3s, since Amazon is usually cheaper than iTunes) I upload into itunes and it uploads or matches it with the cloud. Then if I need the songs, I download them from the cloud onto my idevice. I can download any song I want and do not need to sync anything.
Quote:
Also, about iTunes/iPod in particular, they historically changed terminology on everyone.  Think back a long long time before the iPod was around and things like the Rio were the "MP3 players" that folks had.  The notion of a playlist was not the notion of what was loaded onto the player.  What was on the player was on the player, and a playlist was one of many different subsets of those that you were interested in listening to.  When the iPod showed up, this got all twisted around.  Now a "playlist" is what's "synced" to your player.  Weird model, one I just don't like, and to this day it's why I've purposefully taken a software sledgehammer to the iPod Touch G1 that we inherited with a utility that circumvents all of that.

In the old days before itunes match I used the option "manually manage music and videos". Right now the way I manage music on my idevices the same way you use google music on Android devices.
durack is offline  
post #204 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

It's not just the launcher, but the other "tweaks" that are associated with the touchwiz nature skin
  • Smart scroll, smart pause, and air view are classic hit/miss functionality. For me they do not work naturally. If I try hard enough (to show off the feature) they can sometimes work, but never well enough to use daily. Most people I know with a SGS4/GN3 don't even know about the features, in which case they are a burden and confusion to the clean/smoothness of the underlying os
  • The "upgraded" camera app has a few extra features. It would be preferable if they added those features without breaking the stock camera's ability to "swipe left to gallery" which is a great feature. It prevents the need for a "gallery" app to even exist, as it's simply a shortcut from the camera app. The multiple camera modes are okay, but I'd rather see as an upgrade option rather than breaking useful other features
  • The S Translator, S Voice Drive, S Memo, and S Health apps just show the idiotic samsung tendency to repeat existing functionality. They are bundled junk and in the case of Translator and Voice Drive, they aren't as good as their associated Google counterparts
  • The stock phone app lets you swipe between the dialer/recents/contact screens. To preserve their swipe left to text / swipe right to call "feature" they broke the ability to swipe between dialer/recents/contacts. This is the kind of crap that makes updates take longer as well, but what's worse is the stock swipe left to text doesn't honor using GV as the default SMS app. I like the "swipe between screens" feature much more, and get frustrated when using my wife's S4.
  • While it's not huge, I think the color scheme is fugly compared to stock. I'm sure others easily feel the exact opposite

I see, I was blissfully unaware of any of those things, didn't even know you can swipe your contact left or right to call or message smile.gif

I guess it also matters that I do not use any Google services except for Chrome and bookmark sync. I do not use Gmail, I tried Google Voice but couldn;t find any use for it, so my phone number expired.

My feeling is that given how similar Samsung phones are to the iPhone, I think Samsung's design decisions are deliberate - they want to offer a phone that is "just like iPhone but bigger screen and more MEGAPIXALS" - and looking at their overwhelming dominance of the Android market, it certainly seems to be working.
durack is offline  
post #205 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,449
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
IMO the perfect phone for me would be the upcoming Nexus 5, but with a microSD slot. However, since I recently deleted all my music from my phone I can probably get by with just built-in storage (using Google Music All Access and Pandora).

I just want a nice large screen, LTE, no provider bloatware, good battery life, wifi N, and good Bluetooth support. I don't care about any of the "S" apps on my Galaxy S3 and none of the new features on the S4. I have my Galaxy S3 running Slim Bean and BMS kernel using Nova launcher.

The good thing about Android phones is that there are many choices in size and features. With the iPhone you have the choice of new (5S), old (5C), and older (4S).
JackDiesel14 and Dark_Slayer like this.

bryansj is offline  
post #206 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The good thing about Android phones is that there are many choices in size and features. With the iPhone you have the choice of new (5S), old (5C), and older (4S).

Myself, I am also limited by what phones our corporate network supports since I use Exchange. Here's their list

• iPhone – 3GS, 4, 4S and 5
• iPad – all models
• Motorola – Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR MAXX, Photon 4G, ADMIRAL
• Sprint – HTC EVO 4G LTE
• Samsung – Galaxy S III
• Blackberry – most models are approved

My Note 2 is not on the list but works, however if you have a device that is not on the list and have a problem, too bad, no support for you. As such most people get the iPhones.
durack is offline  
post #207 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Regarding iTunes. I watch my wife, who is an Apple fan, struggle endlessly trying to sync her iPhone 4 music from another computer using that all-in-one PITA. Really, Apple. If you're going to design a centralized conduit to the mother ship, it had better be seamless. I've been accused of "not understanding Apple". So be it. I'll happily "not understand Apple" then.

Also, about iTunes/iPod in particular, they historically changed terminology on everyone. Think back a long long time before the iPod was around and things like the Rio were the "MP3 players" that folks had. The notion of a playlist was not the notion of what was loaded onto the player. What was on the player was on the player, and a playlist was one of many different subsets of those that you were interested in listening to. When the iPod showed up, this got all twisted around. Now a "playlist" is what's "synced" to your player. Weird model, one I just don't like, and to this day it's why I've purposefully taken a software sledgehammer to the iPod Touch G1 that we inherited with a utility that circumvents all of that.

Huh?

I have a master playlist called "On" that contains all the songs I sync to my Touch. I drag and drop songs from any of the various views in iTunes into this playlist to add them to my Touch, and I delete songs from this playlist to remove them from my Touch. If you don't want to sync your entire library, this is the least you have to do, and it ain't much.

But playlists are capable of much more. I have a smart playlist called "Off" that contains all the songs not in "On" and therefore not on my Touch. I have several more smart playlists like "Off - Recently Added" (several of those of increasing age), "Off - Lossy", and "Off - Lossless". I can view any of these playlists in iTunes in three different ways, and they provide a nice filtered view of my library, limited to music that isn't on my Touch, perfect for selecting music to add to my Touch. I organize these playlists in iTunes under a playlist folder called "iPod Touch", and this is easily extensible to multiple devices.

I also have a bunch of playlists just for listening to music, some of which I sync to my Touch.

This is a great system. It leverages the existing playlist system in a simple, natural way that accomplishes everything needed.
sawfish is online now  
post #208 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,869
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Regarding iTunes. I watch my wife, who is an Apple fan, struggle endlessly trying to sync her iPhone 4 music from another computer using that all-in-one PITA. Really, Apple. If you're going to design a centralized conduit to the mother ship, it had better be seamless. I've been accused of "not understanding Apple". So be it. I'll happily "not understand Apple" then.

Also, about iTunes/iPod in particular, they historically changed terminology on everyone. Think back a long long time before the iPod was around and things like the Rio were the "MP3 players" that folks had. The notion of a playlist was not the notion of what was loaded onto the player. What was on the player was on the player, and a playlist was one of many different subsets of those that you were interested in listening to. When the iPod showed up, this got all twisted around. Now a "playlist" is what's "synced" to your player. Weird model, one I just don't like, and to this day it's why I've purposefully taken a software sledgehammer to the iPod Touch G1 that we inherited with a utility that circumvents all of that.

Huh?

I have a master playlist called "On" that contains all the songs I sync to my Touch. I drag and drop songs from any of the various views in iTunes into this playlist to add them to my Touch, and I delete songs from this playlist to remove them from my Touch. If you don't want to sync your entire library, this is the least you have to do, and it ain't much.

But playlists are capable of much more. I have a smart playlist called "Off" that contains all the songs not in "On" and therefore not on my Touch. I have several more smart playlists like "Off - Recently Added" (several of those of increasing age), "Off - Lossy", and "Off - Lossless". I can view any of these playlists in iTunes in three different ways, and they provide a nice filtered view of my library, limited to music that isn't on my Touch, perfect for selecting music to add to my Touch. I organize these playlists in iTunes under a playlist folder called "iPod Touch", and this is easily extensible to multiple devices.

I also have a bunch of playlists just for listening to music, some of which I sync to my Touch.

This is a great system. It leverages the existing playlist system in a simple, natural way that accomplishes everything needed.

 

From your explanation it still means that the concept of playlist is coupled with what's actually sent to the iThing, no?  It didn't use to be that way.  I could have a collection on my MP3 player, and within that MP3 player I could maintain a playlist and alter it on the fly.  The term playlist was just a list of what to play, not what's actually on or sent to the player.  It was not coupled with a concept of a syncing.


Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
tgm1024 is offline  
post #209 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

From your explanation it still means that the concept of playlist is coupled with what's actually sent to the iThing, no?  It didn't use to be that way.  I could have a collection on my MP3 player, and within that MP3 player I could maintain a playlist and alter it on the fly.  The term playlist was just a list of what to play, not what's actually on or sent to the player.  It was not coupled with a concept of a syncing.

Hmm...difficult question since I do not exactly understand what you are saying.

In the old days I loaded music to my iDevice manually and did not use any playlists, just would search by artist or album. Most people use the playlists though.
Now I download music onto my iDevice from the cloud library and once again, usually I play one artist at a time.
On my old iPod you could assemble an on the go playlist from the tracks on the ipod, I assume you can do it on the new devices, I just never tried.
durack is offline  
post #210 of 274 Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

From your explanation it still means that the concept of playlist is coupled with what's actually sent to the iThing, no?  It didn't use to be that way.  I could have a collection on my MP3 player, and within that MP3 player I could maintain a playlist and alter it on the fly.  The term playlist was just a list of what to play, not what's actually on or sent to the player.  It was not coupled with a concept of a syncing.

It doesn't take anything away from your usage of playlists. You can still create and edit playlists on your device and play them as usual.
sawfish is online now  
Reply Home Theater Computers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off