Why does Itunes SUCK SO MUCH ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I've never been a big apple fan but I do love my iphone, but I just don't understand how a software company as big as apple can make such a horrible piece of software like itunes ???

It's honestly the worst software I've ever used. Terrible at everything.

The worse part is if you try to plug your phone into the USB just to charge it - You PC starts freaking out, and itunes goes nuts. Everytime I am like "chill man" I just want to charge my phone.

The stupid program won't stay minimized, and itunes will constantly pop to the front of all your windows in the most annoying fashion possible. Any ever experienced this ?

The "audio" side of things leaves much to be desired too, it's much worse than basically any HTPC application with audio support.

Apple I am disappointed. After all this time and generations (there is an itunes update every 3.6458 seconds) you still manage to product the worst piece of software I have used in years, and possibly ever.

/end rant

I feel better. Thanks for listening.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
That's the price you pay to use your tiny screened teenager phone.
Ou8thisSN and Osirus23 like this.

post #3 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 241
I have a Samsung S3 which is nice.

However, my wife's S4 is incredible. I love that you can plug both in and it acts like a flash drive. No iTunes needed.

Not an Apple fan at all. I don't even like her iPad. Just a personal preference thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 230
iTunes on Windows = Malware. There is no reason to install it even if you have an iDevice.
Vlad Theimpaler likes this.
post #5 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I've never been a big apple fan but I do love my iphone, but I just don't understand how a software company as big as apple can make such a horrible piece of software like itunes ???

The worse part is if you try to plug your phone into the USB just to charge it - You PC starts freaking out, and itunes goes nuts. Everytime I am like "chill man" I just want to charge my phone.

The stupid program won't stay minimized, and itunes will constantly pop to the front of all your windows in the most annoying fashion possible. Any ever experienced this ?

The "audio" side of things leaves much to be desired too, it's much worse than basically any HTPC application with audio support.

Apple I am disappointed. After all this time and generations (there is an itunes update every 3.6458 seconds) you still manage to product the worst piece of software I have used in years, and possibly ever.

/end rant

iTunes sucks because apple tries to use it to sell you something every time it detects an iwhatever is plugged in. I use winamp to manage my ipod. I will never own another apple product.
post #6 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just bought an Asus Zenbook.

Thought about trying an Apple laptop for a second. Then I punched myself in the face to get rid of the pain and re-focus myself.

I did, however, download and install StartIsBack in literally 30 seconds after I powered on the laptop for the first time to get rid of Win8.
StinDaWg and Sammy2 like this.

post #7 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have always viewed Apple as being innovative, but not best in class. The company has been good with innovating new ideas, but they are not good at taking those ideas to the next level of being best in class. Why? IMHO, I think it is because of their closed, propriety business model. The model forces them to improve the ideas themselves. This only works if they can hire all the best talents that are available, which is not realistic. When ideas are shared in a cooperative environment, improvements are much more likely to be made that will result in producing a best in class product at the best value.

Where are the best software engineers likely found, at Apple or at a software company? The same goes for hardware engineers. They do tend to have the best innovators, but innovative people are not good at taking an idea and building upon it. Their minds just don't like to deal with the details that would make a product best in class.

Still Learning
post #8 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

How does iTunes go nuts? All it does is automatically open and sync, just like how Windows is setup by default to automatically start playing a movie when you put a DVD in. That can easily be disabled if you don't want that to happen.

1) Plug in your iDevice and go to the device's summary page in iTunes. Towards the bottom, in the Options section, deselect the Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected and hit apply.

2) That should stop iTunes from opening but Windows might still ask you what to do when you plug in your phone. Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> AutoPlay -> Change default settings for media or devices. Go to your device and select Take no action.

Once you do those very simple things (that could have been learned in less time that it took you to write that rant) your PC shouldn't do anything when you plug your phone in except charge it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Where are the best software engineers likely found, at Apple or at a software company? The same goes for hardware engineers.

There're at companies that pay well. Apple has no trouble at all recruiting talented engineers.
post #9 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

/end rant

Please do not exaggerate. There is an iTunes update only every 4.12 seconds. wink.gif

I too find iTunes to be the most frustrating, least intuitive piece of s***oftware I've ever tried. My wife bought an iPod about five years ago for a long driving trip -- we ended up getting a Sansa Fuze before setting out. It's SOOOOO much simpler to JUST drag 'n' drop MP3's into the Fuze, than to have to go through the iTunes rigamarole on the iPod. Every so often we forget and try using it again, only to be reminded why we put it away the previous time.

On everything else you said -- I hear ya!
EddieatHome likes this.
post #10 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
And the crowd roars over every new iDevice. SMH.

post #11 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I just bought an Asus Zenbook.

Thought about trying an Apple laptop for a second. Then I punched myself in the face to get rid of the pain and re-focus myself.

I did, however, download and install StartIsBack in literally 30 seconds after I powered on the laptop for the first time to get rid of Win8.

Like it ?

We are in market for laptop and also a tablet but not sure what to get ....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like it a lot. The 13" screen is fantastic as is the build quality. Came with a 128GB SSD. For about $700 I think its an outstanding buy. Only had it a few days but so far so good.

I use a Nexus 7 and while the hardware isn't as nice as my wife's iPad the price ($200 compared to $500) is fantastic. I use it for a XBMC and HTPC remote as well as for the kids games and videos. Plex server runs great on it as long as I have a strong internet connection. Battery life is decent but not superb.

post #13 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

iTunes on Windows = Malware. There is no reason to install it even if you have an iDevice.

Once I entertained the thought of installing iTunes on my HTPC. I downloaded the install package for Windows and ran it.

The installer said that iTunes would require the installation of Apple Quicktime.

I immediately clicked the Cancel button, and deleted the installer package.

Aside from a third-generation iPod that was given to me (used) by a friend, I do no own any iThings.

I don't hate Apple or their iStuff -- and I have many friends and relatives who are Apple geeks -- it's just not my bag, I guess smile.gif
StinDaWg likes this.

post #14 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 15
Not sure why your using itunes. Can you not just plug it in and see it as an external drive on ANY OS? My son got frustrated with IOS7 so I transferred his number to my spare Droid Bionic just to let him play and he asked me what software he had to install on his PC to copy his songs/pictures over to it. Should have seen the look on his face when I said none, just copy it over.

He wants a new android phone for Christmas..... smile.gif
post #15 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

Not sure why your using itunes. Can you not just plug it in and see it as an external drive on ANY OS? My son got frustrated with IOS7 so I transferred his number to my spare Droid Bionic just to let him play and he asked me what software he had to install on his PC to copy his songs/pictures over to it. Should have seen the look on his face when I said none, just copy it over.

He wants a new android phone for Christmas..... smile.gif

I can totally relate. Not sure how people tolerate not being able to do that.

Seems like it should be a given. Guess not. It would drive me crazy.

post #16 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

Not sure why your using itunes. Can you not just plug it in and see it as an external drive on ANY OS?

That will be very unApple. I don't use any Apple devices but I don't think you can use any of them like a external drive or MTP device. Everything needs to go through iTunes. Not until iOS 4 or something, you MUST have iTunes installed on a PC or Mac to activate your new iPhone or iPad before it can be used.
post #17 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I had iPhones back when they were actually ahead of the smartphone curve... Had the original first iPhone, the 3G, and the 4. Then prior to the iPhone 5 release I saw the latest Android phones next to the iPhone and bought the Galaxy S3 and sold my iPhone 4. When I got my S3 home my wife asked where hers was, so I got her one and sold her iPhone 4 as well. Now I'm waiting to see what the Nexus 5 offers and will probably get that to replace my S3. Not missing iPhones at all.

post #18 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

The problem is that it's moved from being a music player to handling all different types of media and app/device management, and has suffered greatly from it.
And while lots of people praise Apple's UI design, I think they have good artists, but generally terrible UX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Some people like devices that fit in their pockets and don't require two hands to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

iTunes sucks because apple tries to use it to sell you something every time it detects an iwhatever is plugged in.
I've never had iTunes try to sell me anything when I've connected a device.
Quote:

I am generally moving away from Apple hardware these days, but there is nothing in the PC space that's as well built or designed as the MacBooks.
The only PC hardware I can think of that comes close is Microsoft's Surface, but that's a tablet, not a notebook.
PC manufacturers are all focused on producing the cheapest products they can, which are often MacBook clones, rather than creating premium products.
Quote:

I have always viewed Apple as being innovative, but not best in class. The company has been good with innovating new ideas, but they are not good at taking those ideas to the next level of being best in class. Why? IMHO, I think it is because of their closed, propriety business model. The model forces them to improve the ideas themselves. This only works if they can hire all the best talents that are available, which is not realistic. When ideas are shared in a cooperative environment, improvements are much more likely to be made that will result in producing a best in class product at the best value.
Apple rarely ever innovates, what Apple does best is take other ideas and refine them in a way that makes them have mass-market appeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Once I entertained the thought of installing iTunes on my HTPC. I downloaded the install package for Windows and ran it.
The installer said that iTunes would require the installation of Apple Quicktime.
iTunes has not required QuickTime for years, it does still require Bonjour to be installed and running however, which is a very good reason to avoid it.
Quote:

Rather than scanning a file structure, Apple devices use a database for music management. It's actually a better way of doing things, but it's proprietary and closed-off, so you're required to use iTunes for anything running iOS. Older iPods work with third-party software.
ilovejedd likes this.
post #19 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Some people like devices that fit in their pockets and don't require two hands to use.

I am generally moving away from Apple hardware these days, but there is nothing in the PC space that's as well built or designed as the MacBooks.
The only PC hardware I can think of that comes close is Microsoft's Surface, but that's a tablet, not a notebook.

The Galaxy phones don't need 2 hands. I hear this from time to time but even my wife uses one hand.

Sure, the macbook hardware is nice. But its twice the price of the laptop I just bought. The Zenbook is pretty nice as well for the money and extremely well built. Plus.... well .... its a Mac. And that's just personally isn't my thing. Have you used a Zenbook?

post #20 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I had iPhones back when they were actually ahead of the smartphone curve... Had the original first iPhone, the 3G, and the 4. Then prior to the iPhone 5 release I saw the latest Android phones next to the iPhone and bought the Galaxy S3 and sold my iPhone 4. When I got my S3 home my wife asked where hers was, so I got her one and sold her iPhone 4 as well. Now I'm waiting to see what the Nexus 5 offers and will probably get that to replace my S3. Not missing iPhones at all.

The iPhone was never really ahead of anything. I always had the current gen Blackberry when the iPhone was out and the Blackberry did absolutely every better than the iPhone except for the fact that it didn't have a touch screen.

As for the Nexus 5... it looks like a scaled back G2 which is unfortunate. G2 is the best phone on the market right now and probably will be for a while.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #21 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

The iPhone was never really ahead of anything. I always had the current gen Blackberry when the iPhone was out and the Blackberry did absolutely every better than the iPhone except for the fact that it didn't have a touch screen.

As for the Nexus 5... it looks like a scaled back G2 which is unfortunate. G2 is the best phone on the market right now and probably will be for a while.

Besides email, not sure what the Blackberry offered over an iPhone.

I'm wanting a nice large screen and 5" is about the size I'd like. It needs LTE which the Nexus 4 lacked. I also want a good camera and stock Android OS support. I don't care about bells and whistles that manufactures throw in because most are gimmicks and never get used after the wow factor is gone (Siri and S-Voice). We'll see if the Nexus 5 fits my needs. Otherwise I'll probably wait for the Galaxy S5, even though they will include many things I don't need.

post #22 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
When iTunes was first made available for Windows, Apple made a huge deal of it - I believe the ad said "greatest software app, now on Windows".

So ironic!

When MS write software for OSX, they take the time to make it look like a native app and make it efficient. ITunes on Windows is pure garbage, it is simply too slow and bloated!

But I will give credit, it's meant to be a portal into the app and music store, and it does have backup and restore, which Android still lacks.
post #23 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

Where are the best software engineers likely found, at Apple or at a software company? The same goes for hardware engineers. They do tend to have the best innovators, but innovative people are not good at taking an idea and building upon it. Their minds just don't like to deal with the details that would make a product best in class.
Click the link in my signature...biggrin.gif

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #24 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I'm one of the lone geeks who despise drag/drop and/or selective file copying

I'd probably listen to very little music on my phone if it weren't for Google Music Manager's "upload 20k songs free" and playback on any android device or web browser

It may not seem like it IF you never take any time to learn where the options and shortcuts are, but for me itunes was hands down the easiest way to organize a scattered digital library back when the arrival of touchscreen smartphones with builtin music player eye candy made me start caring about things like id3 tags and album art
post #25 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I was gung-ho about the zenbook ivy bridge release, and then I got sticker shock. All the while thinking, "Hey it's not like it'll hold its value the way its apple counterpart does," so I planned on pulling the trigger "soon" after the price went down.

Now the zenbook infinity is released in Germany, and coming to the US soon. Haswell battery savings and AC wifi make me say, "crap, I'll have to play the waiting game again"

I might not wait for pricedrops this time. If a haswell retina MBP refresh comes out in a nearby timeframe, I might go that direction. It would be my first mac, but I'd likely switch to arch or mint if I get fed up with OSX. Macs get awesome linux driver support smile.gif Can't ignore the lifetime upgrade possibility either wink.gif Just sell use for about a $100 loss each time the new version is around the corner. Can't do that with Android or Windows devices . . . ahh pros/cons
post #26 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Nope, don't know what you are doing wrong. I can plug my iphone into my pc all day long. Nothing happens unless I MANUALLY run itunes.
And even then nothing happens. Itunes sits there and waits for me to tell it to do something.
Simply disable any autostart and autosync.
And why are you plugging your iphone into your pc to charge it anyway.... use the wall charger....
Quote:

I can totally relate. Not sure how people tolerate not being able to do that.

Seems like it should be a given. Guess not. It would drive me crazy.
While I agree with you that I should just be able to plug my iphone in and see the contents with windows explorer....this irritates me as well...However
I tolerate it because I had a droid and it simply sucked. I'm no apple fanboy (phone only), actually don't really care for the company with all the proprietary everything BUT there phones are the BEST. They work the best, have the best apps, voice recognition blows droids out of the water. Had the Galaxy 3.... was in hell for a few days and went with an iPhone 5
Plus they are built like tanks. I have a cheap crap $10 case from wal mart and have dropped my phone 100+ times (on pavement).... not a crack or scratch and works like day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

I have itunes running on my pc and I assure you Quicktime is NOT installed.
Quote:

Because dummy I don't want to hold a laptop up to my face to talk to someone. The size of droids have become ridiculously stupid. Definitely a case where bigger is NOT better.
Phones are for talking and not much more. I use the camera a lot... actually comes in handy for work. But if I want to watch a youtube video I will do in the comfort of my chair in front of 3 24" monitors that make up my PC and not a phone.
The size of this phone is perfect... actually I would want it smaller before bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

HUH? How so?
post #27 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Liked: 12
I choose Apple because I want the best of the best. They lead the way and others simply copy their ideas. The whole industry owes Apple for inventing the smartphone. Sure their products tend to cost more but the quality is simply outstanding and none of the others come close.
I tried the whole Android thing a couple of times but always return to iPhone. Android phones are a perfect alternative for the lower income demographics but if you can afford it go Apple.

eek.gif
post #28 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

I have itunes running on my pc and I assure you Quicktime is NOT installed.
Because dummy I don't want to hold a laptop up to my face to talk to someone. The size of droids have become ridiculously stupid. Definitely a case where bigger is NOT better.
Phones are for talking and not much more. I use the camera a lot... actually comes in handy for work. But if I want to watch a youtube video I will do in the comfort of my chair in front of 3 24" monitors that make up my PC and not a phone.
The size of this phone is perfect... actually I would want it smaller before bigger.
Started pretty reasonable, but ended a little tacky

The default installations of Bonjour, iTunes, Safari, or Quicktime prompt you to "keep Apple software up to date with the Apple Software Control panel" (something very similar in wording). If you let iTunes run with the Apple Softare Control panel it will ask you to update pretty often (and not small patches, but whole freaking 90MB+ downloads everytime) AND it will recommend you add Quicktime, and the icloud control panel, and some other junk most likely. If you run a custom install and tell the Auto-update feature to go fly a kite, then you'll be fine (until the next update, which you'll have to "opt-out" of the control panel nonsense once more)

Also, I'm glad that the size of an iphone is perfect for you, but I literally will not consider switching BACK (yes, rocked a 3G for over 2 yrs hence the slight familiarity with Apple software) until there is at least an option for a more preferred screen size. The s4/note3 seems like a safe bet at this point. Why not iphone6 and 6XL? Wouldn't want everyone to have to choose the larger screen, but I guarantee you that a huge majority of the 40+ smartphone user crowd will pick the larger screen every time.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #29 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

I choose Apple because I want the best of the best. They lead the way and others simply copy their ideas. The whole industry owes Apple for inventing the smartphone. Sure their products tend to cost more but the quality is simply outstanding and none of the others come close.
I tried the whole Android thing a couple of times but always return to iPhone. Android phones are a perfect alternative for the lower income demographics but if you can afford it go Apple.

eek.gif
LOL, that was all a joke right? Thought so, it's always funny to repeat mainstream opinion without bothering to represent facts and stuff
StinDaWg and Osirus23 like this.
post #30 of 274 Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Liked: 12
Subtle humor I guess.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page