HDHomeRun and Copy Once - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was all set to purchase a Ceton 4 or 6 tuner card then I cam across several postings about Time Warner's "Copy Once" policy for almost all of the content they provide.

Right now I have 2 tuner cards, connected to an OTA, that I use through WMC. All of my recorded shows get dumped to my WHS11 and I can watch them anywhere in my house. I'm wondering if Copy Once is an issue with HR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 165
The HR will not do it. You need a CableCARD tuner which the ceton tuners as well as the HDHR Prime are but you cannot share copy once recordings the way you propose. They can only be played back on the PC that recorded them, hence the copy once flag. The Copy Freely flag will let you move it around and play it elsewhere. The only way to play Copy Once material on your network is with a WMC extender. There is a current thread going about extenders. Check in there.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Nuts. Had a feeling that would be the case. I really, really dislike TWC. I will say, my over the air recordings look better than anything I used to get via cable.

Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo54 View Post

Nuts. Had a feeling that would be the case. I really, really dislike TWC. I will say, my over the air recordings look better than anything I used to get via cable.

Thanks for the help.

If you can build an HTPC that will play cable TV for under $100, I would like to see your parts list.

Extenders or XBOX for $130 - $150 will play all of your copy once content anywhere in the house.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mine are actually scabbed together from parts I already had on hand. Whenever I update my main rig, I re-purpose the old equipment. (Did sell a few old video cards, CPU’s and MOBOS to purchase some parts) Main HTPC has stuff as old as 5 or 6 years. The only “new” rig I have is the server that holds my movies, recorded TV etc. I built that one about 3 years ago for around $800.

My TW bill went from ~$200/month to $39.99 (Internet only). My investment was pretty much already recouped before cutting the cord. I rarely store more than 300 GB of recorded TV at a time so having it on one system is not a big issue. My over the air stuff will still save to my server. I will just have to manage the other content.

I have not seen a big change in electric usage since dumping the cable boxes but we’ve had a really hot summer so the AC had been on more than normal.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo54 View Post

Mine are actually scabbed together from parts I already had on hand. Whenever I update my main rig, I re-purpose the old equipment. (Did sell a few old video cards, CPU’s and MOBOS to purchase some parts) Main HTPC has stuff as old as 5 or 6 years. The only “new” rig I have is the server that holds my movies, recorded TV etc. I built that one about 3 years ago for around $800.

My TW bill went from ~$200/month to $39.99 (Internet only). My investment was pretty much already recouped before cutting the cord. I rarely store more than 300 GB of recorded TV at a time so having it on one system is not a big issue. My over the air stuff will still save to my server. I will just have to manage the other content.

I have not seen a big change in electric usage since dumping the cable boxes but we’ve had a really hot summer so the AC had been on more than normal.

When we had Verizon FiOS DVR box (it was part of the free DVR promotion) I put it on Kill-a-Watt. It was drawing 100 Watts.

I would imagine a household full of boxes like this that are always on, would add up to the electric bill. With our 6 TV's, it would have been an additional 500 - 600 W of power being used. The 6-core AMD Phenom, does not use that much power most of the time, and the linksys extenders use under 10 W when on.
Pablo54 likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

When we had Verizon FiOS DVR box (it was part of the free DVR promotion) I put it on Kill-a-Watt. It was drawing 100 Watts.

I would imagine a household full of boxes like this that are always on, would add up to the electric bill. With out 6 TV's, it would have been an additional 500 - 600 W of power being used. The 6-core AMD Phenom, does not use that much power most of the time, and the linksys extenders use under 10 W when on.

That's a serious draw. For about two years, I ran a F@H box composed of an oc'ed q9550 and two 470's. I think I was pulling around 650. No joke, I kept that box in my basement and it served as space heater during the winter.

I ordered the HR HD Prime and will be picking up the cable card from TW this coming week.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 4 Usb Quad Tuner External Device For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Usb 2 0 Inte

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page