PS4, XBOX ONE, or Buy a good graphics card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wast thinking about buy a new gaming system this christmas. But then I realized A) I do not game as much as I used when I was a kid. I probably play about once every 2-3 months B) I have a pefectly great HTPC at home.

My CPU has the i3-3225 in it. This is the chip with the HD4000 graphics built in. I have read several places that this chip is good enough for "light gaming". Can someone eloborate as to what exactly "light gaming" means. Secondly if I wanted to add some hardware to my build exactly what would I have to add/change to make my HTPC comparable if not just slightly better than the PS4 or XBOX one as a Gaming Machine

Silver Stone Grandia 08
i3 3225 I am using the stock fan cooler.
Antec 400C PSU
8GB Ram
ASRock H77M MOBO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I personally don't think HTPC and gaming mix. A decent gaming card is expensive, big, hot, power hungry and noisy. You also need a powerful CPU to go with it. I want none of that in my tiny, whisper quiet, efficient HTPC.

But if you insist, a 7xxx series card is a good place to start IMO. Not sure how it would compare to a console. I'm no gamer, but my kids are, and they've spent endless amounts of money on hardware that can keep up with their games.

Nearly any 3D first person shooter type game is going to choke on an HD4000. Solitaire is ok though smile.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Personally I'm a PC gamer and have always viewed consoles as limited, but that's just my opinion.

With the addition of a discrete GPU and some controllers your current base set up is adequate to game on at a level that should surpass the xBox One and PS4 for under a $350 spend.

Your PSU probably just scrapes in. Most GPU manufacturers recommend a minimum 450W PSU, however this is based on worst case scenario (ie cheap poor quality PSU which is likely to fail at high loads which is full of dust). Your Antec 400C PSU is of reasonable quality and the load on your system should never reach this (I've overclocked my gaming PC and struggle to get to 350W under full load).

A big beefy CPU isn't essential, as with most modern games the GPU is typically the bottleneck, particularly for running titles at 1080p60. Modern GPUs have come a long way in terms of noise, heat and power consumption. Fan profiles can generally be tweaked with the supplied software to satisfy acoustic requirements (ie maintain near silence when idling/performing HTPC duties, and an slight increase in noise when gaming). There is an increased power consumption for idling, but it isn't huge. Most hardcore gamers are enthusiasts and will always strive for extra performance (even if it isn't appreciable other than in FPS or benchmark scores), continually spending money on hardware. For everyone else, a lower spec'd system will still give a satisfying experience.

The following GPUs would meet your requirements:
  • nVidia GTX760 - Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA and MSI all have cards around the $250 mark with very efficient and quiet coolers.
  • AMD Radeon HD7950 - Gigabyte, Asus, Saphire and MSI all have cards around the $245 mark with very efficient and quiet coolers

For controllers I use a pair of Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepads (around $45 each). They perform pretty well, although I do find I get some issues is the wireless dongles are located too close to each other on the PC. They do come with a USB extension cord for the dongles which fixes this problem. Have had them for 6 months with light gaming and so far haven't had to change the batteries.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

I wast thinking about buy a new gaming system this christmas. But then I realized A) I do not game as much as I used when I was a kid. I probably play about once every 2-3 months B) I have a pefectly great HTPC at home.

My CPU has the i3-3225 in it. This is the chip with the HD4000 graphics built in. I have read several places that this chip is good enough for "light gaming". Can someone eloborate as to what exactly "light gaming" means. Secondly if I wanted to add some hardware to my build exactly what would I have to add/change to make my HTPC comparable if not just slightly better than the PS4 or XBOX one as a Gaming Machine

Silver Stone Grandia 08
i3 3225 I am using the stock fan cooler.
Antec 400C PSU
8GB Ram
ASRock H77M MOBO

Your rig is perfectly suited to a $120-200 video card that will outperform NEXT-GEN consoles in every way. I would look at a Radeon 7870 (Tahiti version) and call it a day. 1080p gaming at 60fps....it'll walk all over current consoles and leave the next gen ones wishing they were as powerful (720p and 30fps normally).

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
And no..you don't need a powerful CPU to PC game. Even Battlefield 4 runs at 40+ fps on a $110 Intel dual-core.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

My CPU has the i3-3225 in it. This is the chip with the HD4000 graphics built in. I have read several places that this chip is good enough for "light gaming".

To me it means you can expect about 20-40fps @ 720p with most settings turned down. If you are seriously only playing just a few days a year I could see that as being acceptable.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page