Video Card for 4k Tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My trusty 2600xt has died and I have a Haswell I7 but using windows 7 WMC with shark codecs I cant seem to lock the display at 1080p with the very limited Intel control panel. Every time certain shows are played kids cartoons usually it changes the display to 1366x ? from 1080p and you have to close windows media centre and reopen it to get back 1080p or all the shows after the offender are in a poor aspect ratio.

Anyway If someone knows a solution I will just use the Intel HDMI out for now but if not I need a new card.

I don't have a 4k display yet but looking at options that will drive it in the future. Should I get a 7770 or R7260? Has anyone used these on 4k and can comment? If these are not sufficient I would just buy the 7750 for now and revisit in 2 years maybe when I buy a 4k tv. I don't see the point in spending $500 now on a card I won't be using for 2 years as technology rolls on but if I can spend a little more on a card that will work in 2 years that makes sense to me. I don't game purely a HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo17 View Post

Should I get a 7770 or R7260? Has anyone used these on 4k and can comment? If these are not sufficient I would just buy the 7750 for now and revisit in 2 years maybe when I buy a 4k tv. I don't see the point in spending $500 now on a card I won't be using for 2 years as technology rolls on but if I can spend a little more on a card that will work in 2 years that makes sense to me. I don't game purely a HTPC.

Don't worry about future 4K compatibility now. If you buy something now, something else will surely change/improve in the future and you'll be disappointed. Get what you need for today. IMHO
post #3 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 192
A major unknown right now isn't whether or not the video card can support a very high resolution, but whether it can support HDMI 2.0

The standard was just ratified and the first components that fully support it are just showing up in the wild. Some of the newer HDMI chips that have been shipping on components will have some features upgradable to HDMI 2.0 specs, but a video card based off of HDMI 1.4 chips will not likely be able to support all the HDMI 2.0 features.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

4K seems to be able to run on display port which both these cards support so I don't think Hdmi 2 would pose that much of a problem.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Chances of any 4K TV, or any HDTV, that supports DisplayPort is next to zero.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Chances of any 4K TV, or any HDTV, that supports DisplayPort is next to zero.

Incorrect. They do exist in the professional-grade HDTVs (usually referred to as signage displays) and manufacturers will be incorporating DisplayPort into 4K UHDTV offerings, starting with Panasonic.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Windows Media Center on Windows 7 doesn't support HDCP over DisplayPort. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392252

I'm honestly not sure if this works in Windows 8 but the most logical solution right now is to wait for HDMI 2.0 discreet graphics cards to come out.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #8 of 11 Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Did you get a rig running WMC 7 with 4k? I can't see anyone saying they have done this yet. I have read these forums for a couple of days now and you might think that no one has tried.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Windows Media Center on Windows 7 doesn't support HDCP over DisplayPort. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392252

I'm honestly not sure if this works in Windows 8 but the most logical solution right now is to wait for HDMI 2.0 discreet graphics cards to come out.
This might be true but since I use Slysoft's AnyDVD I have never run into a HDCP problem with my display port monitor showing any movies.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo17 View Post

4K seems to be able to run on display port which both these cards support so I don't think Hdmi 2 would pose that much of a problem.
I think they can do 4K on HDMI as well, but only at 30Hz.

I agree with the other ppl though, if you're buying specifically for 4K you should wait for HDMI 2.0. While DP might be offered on upcoming TV sets, who knows if it will be common or not and if it will be offered on sets outside of the high end, etc.

I also wouldn't go out and buy a videocard just because you're having a small resolution-switching hiccup. Surely there's some software setup you can do (and there are also resolution tools you can probably use outside of the Intel control panel if you feel it's not adequate) to fix your immediate problem.

When you have a 4K display(s), then I would worry about getting a videocard to use with it.

Edit: Oh damn I didn't realize the OP had started this months ago. My reply is probably useless then, lol. Oh well.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just a quick question, when you were running 4k, did you try windows media centre live and recorded TV? I have a thread running on this topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528491/has-anyone-got-windows-media-center-7-wmc-7-running-4k

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page