Upgraded to ATI 6450, now no subwoofer on music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Win7 HTPC has a built-in ATI 4200 and it was connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR-591 receiver and 5.1 speaker setup. Everything was working perfectly except that I had limited BD audio options. So I upgraded to an ATI 6450 and now I have all the TrueHD etc audio-modes. But I also realized that I was no longer getting subwoofer output from Windows Media Player for (stereo) music; movies with DD51, DTS etc still use the sub properly. I think the upgraded audio-mode is telling the receiver to 'defer' to the HTPC for crossover selection but WMP is not performing any such. So my front left/right speakers are receiving full-range and my subwoofer nothing.

I have tried disabling the 'full range speaker' option in Windows' speaker config but all that does is apply a high-pass filter, i.e., it does not split-out the LFE signal to the sub-woofer.

I tried switching the Windows' speaker config to stereo and/or quad, i.e., no sub, but the receiver still isn't receiving (or processing on its own) the low freqs for the sub.

I have also tried all the receiver's surround-modes but none activated the built-in crossover -- it's convinced that the source (HTPC) is handling it.

I think I need to either:
a. reconfigure the ATI audio driver so that it still handles TrueHD etc but sends stereo signals differently, or
b. reconfigure the ATI audio driver so that *it* is creating the LFE signal from stereo sources, or
c. I need to use a different audio player, one that can create the LFE signal

Thank you for any suggestions!

P.S. My HTPC is now running the ATI Catalyst 12.3 audio/video drivers and the Properties of the 'AMD High Def Audio Device' says Provider: AMD, Date: 5/16/2011, Version: 7.12.0.7702
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE:
It looks like I could/should be able to implement solution 'b' via the "Bass Management" or "Speaker Fill" audio enhancements but the 12.3 ATI driver doesn't support them. So maybe I'll try (risk) upgrading to a newer ATI Catalyst...
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
setting the speakers config to stereo actually should work. maybe you have to restart your player afterwards.
the best solution is to actually use a player that has a wasapi exclusive mode plugin, like foobar or musicbee.

the reason is that windows pads the stereo audio to 5.1 with empty channels that prevents your receiver from doing it's crossover.
wasapi exclusive mode prevents this.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

the reason is that windows pads the stereo audio to 5.1 with empty channels that prevents your receiver from doing it's crossover.
Thanks for clarifying! I figured it was something like that.

I didn't like the UI on foobar the last time I used it and I never heard of musicbee; I'll check it out. Meanwhile I tried to find bass mgmt extensions for WMP, Winamp, MediaMonkey and VLC without success. Then I found out J River Media Center has it built-in and downloaded the latest trial version 19, and it works great! I was even able to tweak it to 'move' the LFE from the full-range speaker next to the sub but just 'copy' it from the speaker on the other side of the room. So I've got (highly configurable) sub output from music again. I think they dropped the price of J River? I always like the UI but didn't want to spend $90 -- now it's $50.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
you can also just use the wasapi output in jriver
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Check Denon settings. I think you need to enable the AVR to "Main+LFA" for the sub to work with stereo signal.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page