Deinterlacing and detelecining DVR recordings and DVDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
My local ABC affiliate is one of a handful in the country that actually broadcasts in 1080i (most do in 720p). I have been recording Agents of Shield and just as a learning exercise I am trying to use Handbrake to turn those 1080i MPEG2 files into...something. 720p? 1080p? And what frame rate?

I ask because I'm really not sure what I'd like to do to them. Like I said I'm doing this more to learn about the the various processes involved - so please refrain from "I watch my recordings in full quality, why would you want to do this?" comments.

From what I understand I have 1080i resolution at 29.97 frame per second and 59.94 fields per second.

What is the best path to convert this? I am under the impression that the original source was film that was telecined from 23.976 to 29.97 for broadcast. So the first thing I'd like is to remove the blank/duplicate frames to recreate a 23.976 file. So that would be the DETELECINE setting at default - correct?

Next I want to deal with the interlacing. Should I also set Handbrake to DEINTERLACE? If I don't will I have the visible lines.

Also, I know the primary reason for Handbrake is as a space saving/compression tool. For these files I'm not as worried about saving space my compressing the video as I am in turning the 1080i stream into a progressive one. So I'm not sure how to set the Constant Quality slider. I'd like faithful reproductions of the video frames. H264 is more compatible than MPEG2 and saves a bit of space so I'd be down for using it - that doesn't matter to me as much.

The second part of my question is what to do about DVDs. I have a few tv shows on DVD I wouldn't mind converting to H264 just as a space saving measure. Will I want to detelecine these as well (I think yes)? What about deinterlacing them (I think no)?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
In the past, I have experimented with Handbrake and results is not that good. Always ended up with out of sync audio and video. Not sure if newer version does any better job.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
If you perform IVTC (i.e. inverse telecine) to convert to 23.976 then you don't need to also de-interlace. You'll end up with 1080p @ 23.976 fps. If you had a file that was video source, then you'd want to de-interlace to convert to 1080p @ 60 fps.

Same for DVD's, i.e. IVTC on film source, de-interlace on video source.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

If you perform IVTC (i.e. inverse telecine) to convert to 23.976 then you don't need to also de-interlace. You'll end up with 1080p @ 23.976 fps. If you had a file that was video source, then you'd want to de-interlace to convert to 1080p @ 60 fps.

Same for DVD's, i.e. IVTC on film source, de-interlace on video source.

Great info - thanks.

So even on my interlaced DVR recording, IVTC-ing it will reconstitute it as a progressive scan image?

Would I likely have anything from a video source? I'd guess that live news and sports, anything else?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Great info - thanks.

So even on my interlaced DVR recording, IVTC-ing it will reconstitute it as a progressive scan image?

Would I likely have anything from a video source? I'd guess that live news and sports, anything else?

That's been my experience, yes. The 2 things I tend to archive/convert from my DVR are movies and college sports. Movies I just IVTC and get 1080p/24, sports I de-interlace and get either 1080p/60 or 720p/60 depending on the resolution of the original broadcast. My workflow is to edit the beginning/end of the file and remove commercials (if needed) using VideoRedo. I'll also use VRD to convert sports since it de-interlaces. However, it doesn't do IVTC, so I use MeGUI to convert the movies, it has a very useful "analyze" feature that will run through a file and try to determine the source if there is any question. Probably some other tools out there that can also do this for an MPEG2 file.
pittsoccer33 likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have Video Redo, so I'll look into that more as well. Thank you very much.

My HTPC front end set up