HDMI connection sometimes "stops" - black screen problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HTPC connected to my receiver (Onkyo 818) which in turn is connected to my Epson 5020UB. Everything works just fine almost all the time. At some point however I just loose the HDMI connection and get a "no signal" message. This can happen when I visit a certain website or it happens when I'm just browsing my files with explorer or even when I'm using winrar to unrar something.

I have tried to find the cause of this problem but I have not been successful. So far I have:
- Tested with 2 different receivers (onkyo 818 and onkyo 609 and also without the receiver)
- Tested with 2 different monitors (the epson beamer and a normal lcd monitor)
- Tested with 2 different computers (1 using an AMD APU, the other using an Nvidia GTX 580)

However when I tried testing the HTPC with a different HDMI cable my HDMI port suddenly stopped working so I haven't ruled out the cable yet. Though it seems unlikely to me that it could be the cable; I can watch any movie with it and works just fine, I have played lots of games with it on 1080p60 with surround sound.

I have asked about this problem in the epson 5020ub owners thread, some had the same problem, but back then I thought it was a problem with the Epson. I have seen the exact same thing happen on a normal monitor so I think the problem exists elsewhere.

I will buy a new HDMI cable and I have already bought a new motherboard / gpu (I get them tomorrow) with which I hope the problem will be solved but I am not very confident. 2 different graphic cards with the same problem suggest it's not a GPU issue but then what else could it be? Could I be using a certain setting which pushes the HDMI bandwidth limitations to occasionally overload it? Is it possible it could really be the HDMI cable?

I can probably answer that last question tomorrow: with my new GPU I should be able to test if I can reproduce the problem. However perhaps I have missed something, overlooked something. Does this problem sound familiar (I haven't been able to find much about this specific problem) and does perhaps anyone know of a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I think the issue is EDID related.

post #3 of 13 Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have since last week replaced the HTPC and the HDMI cable but the problem still persists. I have also done some more testing with different resolutions.
- 1080p60 causes the screen to go black when displaying "certain things"
- 1080p48 also causes the screen to go black
- 1080p24 works fine
- 1080i works fine

I have also tested HDMI vs DVI: the same website that causes the screen to go black when connected with HDMI works just fine when I've connected my monitor with DVI.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Either this is a common problem or I must be very unlucky. So far I've had this problem with:
- 3 different computers
- 2 different receivers
- with no receiver
- with 2 different monitors
- with 2 different HDMI cables

I have changed everything but the problem persists. What am I doing wrong here?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Is this such an uncommon problem? I've tried multiple forums but so far I've had almost no response. Anything could be useful.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 148
What is your longest cable length? Mine is about 50 feet. It works, but I had a slight shift towards magenta. I added this device at the end of the chain (ensuring you install it properly - it is directional) and everything is wonderful again.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=2849&seq=1&format=2

I put a short 1 foot HDMI cable on the end to connect it to my projector, this one in fact:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=4963&seq=1&format=2

The HDMI equalizer gets it power from the HDMI port itself and does a great job fixing problems with cable length.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHunt View Post

Is this such an uncommon problem? I've tried multiple forums but so far I've had almost no response. Anything could be useful.

It's not an unheard of problem; it's just a bitch to diagnose. HDMI is the devil, and once you step beyond the simple DVD player -> 3 ft cable -> TV, infuriating crap like you are experiencing can happen. Rest assured that you aren't crazy.

Does it resync after going blank, or does it stay blank? I agree with Sammy2 about focusing on EDID issues first.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
If signal is passing and working and all of a sudden drops, i doubt it is an EDID issue. If you do have a long cable length from avr to projector it could be a problem with cable. The cable might not handling the the resolution you are sending, or maybe some odd HDCP issue.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is your longest cable length?
The first HDMI cable I used was 25 feet, the second cable (the one I'm using now) is 16 feet.
Quote:
Does it resync after going blank, or does it stay blank?
It stays black. I have to "change what is being displayed" to get the signal back. For example closing the browser tab or going to the desktop will get the signal back.
Quote:
it could be a problem with cable.
Next time I get this problem I will try to eliminate the cable as a possible cause. I'll try a couple of different HDMI cables of different lengths and see what will happen. I hope it somehow is the cable's fault, if it's not what else could it be?
post #9 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 148
Spend the few bucks and get that extender - it greatly improved my viewing experience on the long run to my projector.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I ordered one of those from monoprice for $13 or something. I have a 20 foot run using their 25 foot High-Speed HDMI cable (before Redmere) and ended up not needing the range extender but if I put the strain reliefs on that truly monster cable (it is like ½" thick and stiff) the signal cuts out. I just arranged the cable such that it doesn't strain the unit it is plugged into but could probably use the strain reliefs at each end of it with that booster. I just never bothered to do it because, you know, don't mess with success.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Spend the few bucks and get that extender - it greatly improved my viewing experience on the long run to my projector.
I'll see if I can find one (I'm Dutch).

I've done some more testing tonight and I got some unexpected results. I found another problematic website that causes a signal loss and I started testing with my monitor and different HDMI cables and this is what happened:
- Connecting the HTPC directly to the monitor with the same cable: no signal loss
- Reconnecting the HTPC to the receiver (default situation) and changing the HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector: signal loss
- Using that same new cable between the receiver and projector to connect the HTPC with the monitor: no signal loss
- Connecting the HTPC directly to the projector (not changing the HDMI cable): no signal loss

The good:
- the original 25 feet HDMI cable I used to connect the HTPC with the receiver seems to be broken
- the replacement cable seems to be fine

The bad:
- I've tested 2 different cables (but same brand) connecting the receiver to the projector, both times the signal loss happened
- Using one of those cables to connect the HTPC to a monitor doesn't result in a signal loss
- I am unsure if the receiver is causing the problem or the cable connecting the receiver to the projector

It could be that the signal from the receiver is not as "good" as the signal from the HTPC, that would explain why the cables fails in the receiver - projector situation but works fine in the HTPC - monitor situation. Either way I hope to be able to resolve this tomorrow. I'll order a new, different brand, HDMI cable for the receiver - projector connection. That either solves the problem or it is the receiver which I wont replace (it's less then a month old).

Figures that not 1 but 3 cables could all be 'broken', they are of the same brand.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHunt View Post

The first HDMI cable I used was 25 feet, the second cable (the one I'm using now) is 16 feet.
It stays black. I have to "change what is being displayed" to get the signal back. For example closing the browser tab or going to the desktop will get the signal back.
Next time I get this problem I will try to eliminate the cable as a possible cause. I'll try a couple of different HDMI cables of different lengths and see what will happen. I hope it somehow is the cable's fault, if it's not what else could it be?

Wow. i Don't really understand how closing a browser tab could bring back signal. Is your projector saying "no signal" during this black screen? This would make sense if you were attempting to output something copyright protected. HDCP could be failing at someone point when connected with the ARV and just outputting a black screen(not actually dropping signal). Are you using the projector and monitor at the same time? if so just try using the projector.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM

I have the exact same problem with my epson tw9100w, denon 4311 and a htpc. I have been through a number of different cables and av receivers with the exact same results. I have bought myself a good quality hdmi extender and the problem still persists. It only occurs on certain websites. The screen will go black then come back on. It is always the same links on the website that makes the screen go black. Sometimes the screen doesn't come back on and you have to close the browser page and it will reappear again. Really weird and I think I have given up trying to find the cause. I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the epsons hdmi as you have the exact same projector as me. Funnily enough if I use the wireless hdmi on the epson I don't have any of these problems. Only when I connect with hdmi.

Last edited by cpower1987; 09-06-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page