Dual monitors over HDMI/DVI - Have I thought this through correctly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm in the planning stages of rewiring my house, and before I place an order on MonoPrice for the various wires and switches, I want to make sure I've thought this part through correctly and would appreciate any wisdom or guidance.

Below is a sketch of how I *think* everything should be hooked up, but I've never attempted a purely digital multi-monitor set up like this before.

Below the sketch I've listed the 3 scenarios in which I would use the dual monitor setup.

Is this the best way to go about setting this up? Or is there a better way to do this without involving a powered HDMI splitter? (which I know can be prone to failure)

Any pitfalls to be aware of when it comes to digital multi-monitor setups?

The hardware involved would be:

Video cards: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHZ 1 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11201-17-20G (1 HDMI output, 1 DVI output, 1 DisplayPort output)

HDMI switch: 4x2 True Matrix HDMI® Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5312

Monitors: Asus VS247H-P 23.6-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit LCD Monitor (standard LCD monitors each with 1 VGA input, 1 DVI input, and 1 HDMI input)

Thanks for any advice or guidance, definitely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I could be wrong but I don't think you can output HDMI & DVI at the same time. I know that the 2 motherboards that I have wont do it but a video card may be different (I've never used one). For dual display on my PC's I use HDMI, & VGA.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I could be wrong but I don't think you can output HDMI & DVI at the same time. I know that the 2 motherboards that I have wont do it but a video card may be different (I've never used one). For dual display on my PC's I use HDMI, & VGA.

The simultaneous DVI and HDMI has been possible for a few years now, on newer hardware motherboards. You can certainly do this on video cards, but any Core i3/5/7 should be able to too (with the right motherboards), except first generation i7s and higher numbered i5s.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
There you go...I was wrong smile.gif
fitbrit likes this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page