Connecting New Plasma to HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I just picked up a new VIERA® 60" Class VT60 Series Full HD Plasma TV for a great price from amazon to replace my 2008 Samsung LN650A-40 LCD.

Is there anything special I should know about connecting this for HTPC use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Plug it in with HDMI and enjoy, that's a bad-a$$ set. You can get some calibration numbers from Cnet.com. I tested a customers TV with the cnet values and the grayscale was pretty close, the color management was almost dead-on (Sencore ColorPro 5, & CalMan software).
Sammy2 likes this.

post #3 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Surprisingly, Consumer Reports has their calibration numbers posted in their reviews for all HDTV's they test too so I will be taking a look at both of them now. I wonder if my HTPC and/or AVR-2312ci will freak on new EDID's from the set? I suppose I will have to reboot the HTPC maybe?

post #4 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I don't have any EDID issues so I wouldn't know if you will have a problem or not. I just leave my HTPC on all the time and my Harmony remote opens Media Browser immediately when I select the activity.

post #5 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I don't have any EDID issues so I wouldn't know if you will have a problem or not. I just leave my HTPC on all the time and my Harmony remote opens Media Browser immediately when I select the activity.

That is exactly how I do it too. Maybe the HTPC won't even know as the AVR is in between it and the display.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Yes, be prepared to be blown away upgrading from a 40" lcd to a top of the line 60" Panasonic plasma. biggrin.gif
Sammy2 likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

I just picked up a new VIERA® 60" Class VT60 Series Full HD Plasma TV for a great price from amazon to replace my 2008 Samsung LN650A-40 LCD.

Just be mindful or image retention while the set is breaking in. For instance, don't let your PC sit at the desktop for extended periods of time with a plasma. Be sure you have a screensaver set up and etc.

And yes, you will be blown away with that upgrade. The leap in picture quality will be staggering lol.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's a slide set available over in the display forums for a 100 hour break in using colored slides. I will be doing that and although burn in is not as much an issue anymore with plasma I will be enabling the screen saver for those times my son uses it outside WMC for youtube and then just walks away leaving it on for a time. I already have the screen saver enabled in WMC but not Windows as it was giving me issues with EDID (or so I thought) early on.

post #9 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't even necessarily need to use the slideshow screen saver, I just set it to go to blank (black) after 3 minutes. The Panasonic has such good black levels you probably won't even notice that the tv is on unless you are in a completely dark room. cool.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's a break in set of colored slides to run through so that the phosphors get properly burned in to begin with. IDK if it is really necessary but what the hay right? I'll burn it in from delivery on Wednesday until I can calibrate it on Saturday next week. Going blank screen after a few minutes is probably the best thing to do with it too so good suggestion.

post #11 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya, you can do what you want in the beginning. I was talking more long term with the screen saver not at the break in period. To be honest though the only reason to run the breakin slides is if you are trying to calibrate with D-Nice settings or something. It's not going to make a difference otherwise.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

There's a break in set of colored slides to run through so that the phosphors get properly burned in to begin with. IDK if it is really necessary but what the hay right? I'll burn it in from delivery on Wednesday until I can calibrate it on Saturday next week. Going blank screen after a few minutes is probably the best thing to do with it too so good suggestion.

I ran them too and used D-Nice settings on my VT-50. It looks fantastic. I didn't do that on my GT30 and it looked soft right out of the box, and seemed to get more detailed after it broke in.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am going to calibrate it somewhat but I may not use the D Nice settings but rather look at Cnet and consumer reports settings in addition to D Nice's.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to calibrate it somewhat but I may not use the D Nice settings but rather look at Cnet and consumer reports settings in addition to D Nice's.
You would be better off to use the free AVS HD 709 calibration disk and do it yourself, that's what I did.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
post #15 of 15 Old 10-19-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Quote:

You would be better off to use the free AVS HD 709 calibration disk and do it yourself, that's what I did.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

So I can just put that on my server and make it available in my Movie Library for use on my HTPC connected to the new Plasma. That is good. I didn't even know that existed. My current TV was calibrated using the good old HD Essentials Blu-ray on my Blu-ray player but never calibrated to the output of the HTPC. I was thinking of ripping that disc to my library and calibrating the new Plasma but I will be reading that thread. (Shh.. Don't let any of those guys on the Plasma page know.)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page