MakeMKV....but what about the reverse process? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If I have a Blu-ray that I made into an MKV, how do I reverse the process and burn that video to a Blu-ray for standard Blu-ray set top playback?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

If I have a Blu-ray that I made into an MKV, how do I reverse the process and burn that video to a Blu-ray for standard Blu-ray set top playback?

Why would you want to do that? Just use the original disc.

David
post #3 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
To answer the first question get the free program tsMuxeR.

To answer the second question, maybe the original was a BD50, very expensive blank and maybe the MKV is smaller in size and will fit on a BD25 much cheaper. Maybe the original MKV was just down......... .

Mike T
post #4 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

David

A very nice chap named Harmy created HiDef versions of the Original Star War Trilogy. He used the new movies as a base, removed what he could, restored what he could from laser disc, etc., and cleaned up the picture on and on. His latest version of Star Wars (version 2.5) was released in MKV. Maybe the OP wants to convert that to a BluRay disc...I know this is what I want to do.

No need to assume someone stole a movie. smile.gif
post #5 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

David

Thanks for not answering the question... But I can get BD50's for $1.20 each. The kids have quite a few Blu-rays and I'd rather they break a $1.20 disc than the $20-25 original.

post #6 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

No need to assume someone stole a movie. smile.gif

Which is what downloading an unauthorized, pirated version of Star Wars would precisely be.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

To answer the first question get the free program tsMuxeR.

To answer the second question, maybe the original was a BD50, very expensive blank and maybe the MKV is smaller in size and will fit on a BD25 much cheaper. Maybe the original MKV was just down......... .

Mike T

Thanks man! tsMuxer.....WAY better than DVDFab. So simple. Thanks!

post #8 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

[quote name="DavidT99" url="/t/1495571/makemkv-but-what-about-the-reverse-process#post_23853571"]Why would you want to do that? Just use the original disc.David[/quote]Thanks for not answering the question... But I can get BD50's for $1.20 each. The kids have quite a few Blu-rays and I'd rather they break a $1.20 disc than the $20-25 original.

Wait, don't you mean BD25's? Also, does MakeMKV shrink BD's? I have several BD's I'd like to backup, but they don't fit on BD25's, so I don't have backup's of those.

Or are you simply referring to backing up only the main movie, which may or may not fit on a BD25?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #9 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #10 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Wait, don't you mean BD25's? Also, does MakeMKV shrink BD's? I have several BD's I'd like to backup, but they don't fit on BD25's, so I don't have backup's of those.

Or are you simply referring to backing up only the main movie, which may or may not fit on a BD25?

Sent from my Nexus 7

No, BD25's are like 60 cents each. I use those too. But for movies that won't fit I use the BD50's.

post #11 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, with tsMuxer, I have the BDMV. Stream, etc folders...but how do I burn that with IMGBurn? Just as a regular data Blu-ray?

post #12 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Make sure you selected UDF 2.50 and burn it as regular data disc.

Also, make sure your total bit rates won't pass 38mbps or so. Otherwise, the playback will stutter on regular BD players as they only read the disc in 1x mode. I found most of the times, a ripped BD mkv files won't be able to generate perfect BD movie disc because often the bitrates will exceed that limit without re-compress the movie.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Make sure you selected UDF 2.50 and burn it as regular data disc.

Also, make sure your total bit rates won't pass 38mbps or so. Otherwise, the playback will stutter on regular BD players as they only read the disc in 1x mode. I found most of the times, a ripped BD mkv files won't be able to generate perfect BD movie disc because often the bitrates will exceed that limit without re-compress the movie.

I am not burning it as an MKV movie. I am converting it FROM an MKV file. I am burning it as a Blu-ray with the full menu, chapters, lossless audio stream, BDMV/Stream folders.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I know. That's what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
post #15 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Which is what downloading an unauthorized, pirated version of Star Wars would precisely be.

You are quite mistaken. The Harmy editions are very legal. They are classified as historical restorations and, provided no money ever changes hands and you own the officially available releases, they are completely legal in the United States.

Quote:
This is a fan preservation made for culturally historical and educational purposes.

Fanedits and preservations must not be bought or sold.

Please report every fanedit or preservation you find for sale to webmasters of originaltrilogy.com.

Fanedits and preservations are an artform and to be shared among legal owners of the officially available releases only.

Do not support piracy.

EDIT: If the studios ever release a BluRay edition of the unaltered original films then these versions may become illegal at that point (in the US). Not sure how that works.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Here is a process you can follow. It has limitations as it can only use the information that is contained in the MKV, so if chapters are missing from it then you will lose them. You also lose the menu system since that is missing from the MKV as well. You can add them back in, though.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/How-to-play-Despecialized-Edition-V25-on-a-PS3-if-you-dont-have-a-BD-burner/topic/15996/

When you get to the point where you make an AVCHD, make a BluRay instead (it is another selection available). Also, no need to split it. You can then burn the folders it creates onto a BluRay and be happy. I used it to create the folders I wanted and then used Image Burn to create the ISO.
post #17 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I know. That's what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Then why would an MKV be a different bitrate than the store bought Blu-ray it was made from? That's silly. MKV is just a container...it doesn't make the video file bigger than 38mbps...

post #18 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then why would an MKV be a different bitrate than the store bought Blu-ray it was made from? That's silly. MKV is just a container...it doesn't make the video file bigger than 38mbps...

Because studios have special authoring tools that can arrange the audio stream and video stream in different ways so that it can avoid the bitrate limitations. Our general tools of ImgBurn or else can't . Trust me, I have tried quite a few and 90% of the failed this way. Quick action video and loud HD sound effects at the same time means the total bitrate will be > 40mbps. There is a tool called bitrate viewer. You can use that the preview your peak total bitrate. The same disc plays fine on PC BTW because PCs can read them in faster rate and buffer them. BD players don't.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok, with tsMuxer, I have the BDMV. Stream, etc folders...but how do I burn that with IMGBurn? Just as a regular data Blu-ray?

I will create a folder called "movie name" and in it is the certificate and BDMV etc folders created by tsMuxeR and then start Imgburn and select burn folders and then high light the folder "movie name" and then burn, Imgburn will look at the folder and determine that it should use UDF 2.5 if it is not already set that way and ask you to confirm that it should be UDF 2.5. So there are no problems using Imgburn I have made 100's of BD's that way.

tsMuxeR will also create chapters on time intervals you set or you can insert a chapter list of specific timing, great free program.

Mike T
post #20 of 22 Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

[quote name="leebo" url="/t/1495571/makemkv-but-what-about-the-reverse-process#post_23854770"]Wait, don't you mean BD25's? Also, does MakeMKV shrink BD's? I have several BD's I'd like to backup, but they don't fit on BD25's, so I don't have backup's of those.Or are you simply referring to backing up only the main movie, which may or may not fit on a BD25?Sent from my Nexus 7[/quote]No, BD25's are like 60 cents each. I use those too. But for movies that won't fit I use the BD50's.

Wow! I guess it's been a while since I bought any blank BR discs. Last time I checked the 50's went for like $15 to almost $20/disc.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #21 of 22 Old 10-20-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks for not answering the question... But I can get BD50's for $1.20 each. The kids have quite a few Blu-rays and I'd rather they break a $1.20 disc than the $20-25 original.

How about this then.....

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-copy.htm

Looks like an easy solution.

David
post #22 of 22 Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a 25-pack of BD25 for $9.99 at local Micro Center. But BD50s are still average $4 to $8 per disc there.

Aside from the bitrate issues I encountered before, you will also be faced with Cenaiva problem. That's why I ditched the idea of backing up my BDs to a physical disc. Not only it costs too much but also won't work most of the time. Instead, I will just keep the mkv files with HD audio intact. The Sony player I have can play MKVs with HD Audio via disc, USB or streaming without problems. Better yet, Cenavia protection does not apply to any of these usages, only to BD movie discs.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page