Hauppauge HD PVR and Windows 7/8.1 Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Okay, so, I recently purchased an HD PVR and have tried to install in my Windows 8.1 installation. I have two questions for anyone who might know:

1. I know that the HD PVR supports Windows 7 Media Center, according to the support information on the Hauppauge site. However, the instructions show it going through the channel scanning process even with a setup box, which seems odd for a device that's supposed to use the guide to tune via an IR Blaster. So, does the HD PVR actually work like other devices where you use the guide to select and record programming, and the IR Blaster simply changes the channels on the (in my case, DirecTV) STB?

2. Has anyone tried the HD PVR with Windows 8.1? The support site specifies that it's only compatible with Media Center in Windows 7, but that could mean it's not compatible with earlier versions. In any event, I can't get the device to work in Media Center on my Windows 8.1 machine. It does seem to get to 100% on the channel scanning (although I can't seem to see the IR Blaster working), but there's no guide afterward and therefore no way to select anything to view.

If Windows 8.1 isn't supported, I could try reinstalling Windows 7 (or at least waiting for Hauppauge to release Windows 8.1 support), but I'd just like to verify how it's supposed to work. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM

Welcome to a great forum. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html?tab=8 have you installed this driver/firmware ?

post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. I installed the drivers, then followed the instructions under Media Center. I configured the Blaster for the DirecTV receiver (H25), and verified that the HD PVR is receiving a good signal via the TME app. I also configured the Hauppauge Media Center app for satellite and the internal blaster.

It seems like Media Center is recognizing the HD PVR, it's just that no channels are ever found. And again, I can't tell how that's supposed to work (i.e., does the blaster run the receiver through all of the channels?). Nevertheless, when it finishes it's not actually configured for any channels, the guide isn't populated, and nothing shows on live TV.

Thanks for the quick response!

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Afaik the Media Center support software only works on Win7 (the driver works on 8/8.1, but you need more than just that). Thus it' s probally better, if you use Win7 instead.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm beginning to get that impression. It's a bummer, because I'd hate to go back to Win 7 and also to reinstall everything, just to use Media Center. I might try to find another software to use--maybe BeyondTV supports Windows 8.1 by now.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

post #6 of 6 Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 PM

hey whats up man! ive been trying to install the hd pvr software from everywhere but i dont have the installation disk and i need to to install the drivers is there anyway u could share me the software of the disk by any share file? plz i really need it
sorry for my bad english btw

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page