This smartie display looks easy enough to connect. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This smartie display looks easy enough to connect.

After reading a little I’m thinking there are two choices to connect the smartie USB port
Or USB header but not both am I correct?

I kindof like this smartie because I intend on mouting it on my TV cabinet
Directly behind a 5X magnifying glass Not on the 5.25 HTPC slot.

I’ve been wanting a LCD display mainly for elapsed playtime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1602-LCD-Display-USB-Edition-I-Smartie-module-PC-Case-/380748003309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a65977ed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1602-LCD-Display-USB-Edition-I-Smartie-module-PC-Case-/380236758745

https://solarbotics.com/download.php?file=1170

I was reading about this dnivea display reviews indicated PC will not sleep w/ this device

will the smartie also prevent PC from sleep mode?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-996-004&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

lastly can drivers for this LCD display be downloaded (on a different PC
other than the HTPC) and saved to a flash drive
then be installed on the HTPC?

STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have used both, and neither is useful. nMedia PC one is junk. Smartie is a bit better, but still not legible from any distance. You are putting it behind 5x magnifying glass may work, but by it self it is just too small. Even running it as one big clock, was not satisfactory. And that is all my wife wanted, a clock.

$5 LED clock from target worked out the best.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1.will the smartie also prevent PC from sleep mode like the nMedia?

2. am I correct I only have to plug in the smartie in a USB port?

3.lastly can drivers for this LCD display be downloaded (on a different PC
other than the HTPC) and saved to a flash drive
then be installed on the HTPC?

4,will the smartie display elasped play time for W7MC the ebay does'nt mention this they do mention displays winap which I believe is playing DVDs or music CDs?

whenever I want to observe elasped play time of recorded TV I have to either move the wireless mouse or press the play button on the remote this is the main reason I'd like to have a display.
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

press the play button on the remote this is the main reason I'd like to have a display.

This is a much better option than the smartie display. It can actually be read from a distance as well.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 660
<--- In for results.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 9 Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You can program smartie to do whatever you want, that is the beauty of it. You do have to know where to look for the play time count for smartie to read.

This is the best Front panel I have ever had in an HTPC. But, it is 10 years old, by now.

msi_mega865_display.jpg

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I have used both, and neither is useful. nMedia PC one is junk. Smartie is a bit better, but still not legible from any distance. You are putting it behind 5x magnifying glass may work, but by it self it is just too small. Even running it as one big clock, was not satisfactory. And that is all my wife wanted, a clock.

$5 LED clock from target worked out the best.
will the smartie also prevent PC from sleep mode like the nMedia? STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

This is a much better option than the smartie display. It can actually be read from a distance as well.
Bryan I see you have a display in you'r HTPC case care to elaberate on you'r display?
STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

<--- In for results.
I'm surprised an expert like you'r self is'nt offering up advice for me on displays. STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

You can program smartie to do whatever you want, that is the beauty of it. You do have to know where to look for the play time count for smartie to read.

This is the best Front panel I have ever had in an HTPC. But, it is 10 years old, by now.

msi_mega865_display.jpg
I was kindof hopping for a plug and play guess it's alot more involved w/ programing.

I would like Smartie to display W7MC recorded TV

First line the title.

Left side of second line elapsed time in #’s and right side
Of second line full duration in #’s.

I’m not really interested in displaying CPU temp. fan speed ect. Just elapsed time and title.

edit: I'm not really seeing many alternatives to the Smartie.

BTW that's a cool display you have there.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Bryan I see you have a display in you'r HTPC case care to elaberate on you'r display?
STB

I guess I need to update my equipment list. I got rid of that case and got a case without a display. The display sucks. Don't waste your time or money on it. Just hit Play on your remote to see the time remaining.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

will the smartie also prevent PC from sleep mode like the nMedia? STB
STB
I'm surprised an expert like you'r self is'nt offering up advice for me on displays. STB
I was kindof hopping for a plug and play guess it's alot more involved w/ programing.

I would like Smartie to display W7MC recorded TV

First line the title.

Left side of second line elapsed time in #’s and right side
Of second line full duration in #’s.

I’m not really interested in displaying CPU temp. fan speed ect. Just elapsed time and title.

edit: I'm not really seeing many alternatives to the Smartie.

BTW that's a cool display you have there.

That display was in MSI MEGA 180 case. This was pre-MiniITX, so, it uses a proprietary motherboard, but I have been toying with the idea of either replacing the board, or just shoving the most powerful Socket A CPU that the board supports.

For now, it is collecting dust in the basement. I had to retire it in 2007 because it was neither Vista nor HDCP compliant for CableCARD operation. I had recently purchased an AGP HDCP compatible card, in hopes of making it into a simple "DVR" box. And if that doesn't work, then it will just be an OTA DVR. I ran Win 7 on it, and it seemed OK, except for generic VGA driver.

The RAM is limited to 2GB of DDR (just DDR, not 2, nor 3, just DDR) and I have not had good luck finding 1 GB DDR sticks that are not crazy expensive. When it was in operation, I ran 2x 512 DDR sticks in it, with WinXP MCE.

As to "recorded TV" you may be to figure something out with the "recorded TV LED" project posted on the greenbutton. It takes Serial output to drive a RED LED, to indicate that there is a recording in progress. But, it will only indicate if you are recording something, not that you are in the "Recorded TV" folder playing previously recorded TV.

I have this Antec Veris Premiere display. It said it was compatible with Windows Media Center, but it requires double 5.25 bay, and I don't have cases that had that. So, it is still in the box.

Edit: Here is a youtube video (not mine) of Veris in action

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page