Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I currently use WMC and MB3 classic.

I'm helping a friend build a media server for transferring DVDs to an HTPC, but he's not as tech-savvy in regards to the ripping process, tweaking players, folder structure, meta data grabs, installing codecs/splitters, etc.

Can you recommend a great all-in-one 'normal user' media server software?

I'm considering XBMC, JRiver, Media Portal, Plex, etc, but haven't used any others than WMC and MB3 Classic (since I use LiveTV).
He won't use TV and basically just needs serving for CD,DVD,BR....
Would be nice if he could just pop in a disc and it handle the rips, folders, metadata...
Sort of looking for the DIY poor man's kalidescape...

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I just did a build for someone that wanted to rip all his DVD and Blu-ray discs as well. I used My Movies with AnyDVD HD. He simply pops in the disc, selects Copy Disc from the WMC strip, and it finds the metadata based on disc ID and then rips a full 1:1 copy (folders for DVD and .iso for Blu-ray) that is automatically included in the My Movies library. All of this is done with the remote within WMC and continues in the background. My Movies also supports offline discs where it can add the disc to the library without ripping and if you select it to play will prompt you to insert disc.

You can also use another PC to rip and add movies using their Collection Manager program instead of using the WMC interface.

Reply Home Theater Computers