Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi folks,

Recent reinstall of W7x64, pretty much standard out of the box, plus LAV A/V & Splitter.

Video from ATI 5670 goes straight to the TV via HDMI; Realtek SPDIF Audio from MoBo goes to an Onkyo TXSR603 receiver.

Using the WOW disc I see about 3 frames (~125 msec) audio too soon issue. As in, sounds happen before the screen shows the image.

What's the simplest way to correct it?

I see it on all content.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I forgot to mention:

My use of the system includes:
- TV through WMC
- MKV-based content via Media Browser in WMC, and occasionally
- TMT5 for ISO rips.

The MKV stuff can be configured to use the LAV decoders, which have an audio delay option that can be enabled. This fixes the problem for that MKV content but not for the TV through WMC or the TMT5 playing.

Short of buying a new AVR which might have an overall audio delay capability built into it, what is the best solution here?

Thanks!

Marc

Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Maybe some HDTVs have a fixed video delay where you could add the same delay into the audio chain somewhere. But I've experienced sync problems for years, even with the old analog NTSC. It doesn't fluctuate a lot but once in a while I have to change the audio delay in my AVR. Sometimes a certain program or movie is just out of sync more than the others.

Actually I don't notice it a lot but my wife can read lips & it drives her to distraction if a person's lips do not match what they are saying, And the bigger the TV screen the bigger the lips & therefore it's more obvious. Once every week or two I have to change the audio delay on the AVR for whatever we're watching. My old AVR delayed audio only 100ms which sometimes is not enough. I just bought a new one which can delay up to 400ms so hopefully that help.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm trying to avoid buying a new AVR... A decent one seems to be around $500.

My current Onkyo TX-SR603 has no audio delay options that I can find. And the TV itself isn't part of the audio loop at all... I just pipe video to it via the HDMI cable, but the sound is via SPDIF to the AVR. So, to be clear, Graphics card via HDMI directly to TV (not plugged into AVR), and Audio via SPDIF directly to AVR (not going to TV at all).

Playing with LAV audio, it's actually about a 200 msec delay that brings it to alignment. I just came upstairs from doing some tests. ~4 frames off when played by TMT5. I haven't found a way to get TMT5 to impose an audio delay.

So, my MKV stuff is just fine, via LAV, with proper delay. But with TMT and WMC I'm out of luck.

Marc

Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My old Onkyo TX-SR504 has up to 100ms audio delay, but no HDMI. So I too use SPDIF optical & coax for audio with HDMI for video only to the TV.

I came across an open box Onkyo TX-NR525 which has a MSRP of $499 & most places sell it for $399. The open box price was $279 so I got it but just haven’t hooked it up yet. I really don’t need a new AVR but the price was right & hopefully the up to 400ms audio delay will satisfy my wife. Now I just have to teach her how to adjust this to her own satisfaction.

The 525 has 1 optical & 2 coax SPDIF inputs & I wish it had more optical in case I end up using SPDIF. Some postings say sometimes there are HDMI hand shaking problems when inserting an AVR into the video connection. It seems most new receivers with HDMI don’t have as many SPDIF inputs as older models, but this makes sense since they figure you’ll use HDMI. I’ll see how this works out in the next day or two.

The only sort of reasonably priced audio delay device I’ve seen mentioned is this one for $250. It looks like it would be easy to use. Just push a button. No menus to go through, or so it appears.
http://www.felston.com/dd740/
Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good info, thanks. Sigh. I was hoping to finda hardware driver level delay utility that could insert itself in the audio loop, delaying all audio no matter which app. Sort of like what the LAV audio decoder can do, but for ALL apps, no matter who does it.

Such a beast probably doesn't exist!