Color Space Issues on A PC Displayed on P60ST60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Here's my setup:

PC ----HDMI----> AVR (Sony STR-DN840) ----HDMI----> TV (Panasonic P60ST60)

PC:
i5-3570K

Nvidia GTX 670

Here's the problem:

I have all my devices hooked up to my TV through my AVR (cable box, PC, etc...) and all non-PC devices display perfectly.  When I display my desktop or browser on my TV, everything looks correct.  When I open a media player (XBMC or PotPlayer) and try to play any of my DVD or BD rips (.VOB straight off DVD or .MKV off BD, all uncompressed), the colors are really really dark.  Night scenes are unwatchable and even scenes inside of lighted rooms are darker than they should be.  I know my TV is calibrated correctly (or very close) based on my other input sources.  I have used the Windows color calibration tool on my TV and can't get the gamma setting quite right, but it's pretty close.  Oddly enough, playing videos on VLC displays them correctly on either my monitor or TV (but no DTS passthrough so no good).  When I watch the video on my computer monitor, it looks fine.  When I pause it and drag the player over onto my TV, it still looks fine.  As soon as I press play, the scene instantly darkens.  The reverse also happens.  If I drag it onto my monitor while paused, it looks dark.  As soon as I press play, it displays correctly.  I've changed my settings in Nvidia Control Panel to output 16-235 on my HDMI out to my receiver, but it doesn't have any effect at all.  Like I said, I've tried multiple media players, and they all look terrible on my TV but great on my monitor.  I doubt my receiver is the problem because other sources look correct.  I'm fairly certain from researching elsewhere that the problem lies in the colorspace issues others have seen (0-255 vs 16-235), but all attempts to correct this have failed.  Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The PC's full-rang (0-255) and video industry's standard limited-range (16-235) are not compatible and can't be calibrated away.

The best results PQ wise is for your PC desktop stay in full-range. Your NVidia card driver stay in full range, and you configure EACH video player app to output full-range instead of limited (as majority of video sources are limited). And set up your TV to full range as well (your TV is capable of it). That is assuming your Sony receiver won't get in the way (clipping BTB and WTW). But when you switch to other sources, you have to change your TV to limited range as ALL other video equipment output limited range as standard.

If that is too much trouble for you, you can configure your NVidia card driver to output limited range for desktop, and you still need to configure EACH video player app to output full-range so it then be converted to limited range by the driver on final output. This requires no changes to TV settings and any receiver should pass it without problem.

VLC outputs either full-range or limited range depending on which renderer you choose. WMP always output full-range. WMC always output limited-range but can be altered via a registry hack. etc. etc......
theProfessor510 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This seems to have fixed it but I have no idea why.  I felt like these settings I'm using now were the defaults, but whatever, I'll take it.  Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Color space mismatch is the most common issue when connecting a PC to HDTV. That's why I personally don't connect any of my PC to TV.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I use 0-255 and everything looks the same between desktop, videos, XBMC, ect.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Video chips like Intel IGPs automatically enforce and convert to limited range output when connect to HDMI port. So it depends.

It could be a bad thing as well because your images and videos get converted from one color space to another and sometimes twice.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sony Str Dn840
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page