Help! WMC not outputting rightmost column of pixels! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi all,

I've finally got a 1080p TV that I can enable pixel direct on, but WMC (in Win 7sp1 x64) is harshing me badly.

It's a fresh, fully up to date system, just installed last week, using an ATI HD5670 card. But it's not the GPU that's causing the trouble. If I play the Disney WOW test pattern, or any pattern that allows good judgment of alignment on the right, I can clearly see that IN WMC ONLY videos are missing the rightmost pixel. What's worse, this misalignment messes up pixel perfect alignment so for example grid patterns show banding. So, it's not just that the rightmost pixel is being shown as all black, but the remaining 1919 pixels worth of the image are being stretched.

Playing the exact same pattern in MPC-HC (or any other full screen player) clearly shows the rightmost pixel being present, and gives perfect alignment. Grid patterns are sharp and crisp.

See pictures: First MPC-HC looking great:

Then WMC. showing the lack of the rightmost pixel and loss of the white/black outer edge pattern:

There are no misalignment problems on the top, bottom, or left side.

So the problem happens ONLY in WMC.
-I've tried using the standard MS Foundation codecs as well as LAV. No difference.
-I've tried in WMC setting the TV (Panasonic 60ST60) as a flat panel or as a TV. No difference
-I've looked into reg settings in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings
---No effect on video playing using any of the ones I tried there. The marginright / marginleft settings seem to affect the WMC UI but not the videos themselves.
-There was something about "black or white pixels on the right side" that lead to a hotfix (392768) for Intel... some reported it would help others too, so I tried it despite it not being exactly my system or syptoms... it said it didn't apply to my system.

I've reproduced this problem on my Desktop PC, also Win7X64, using a standard 1080p monitor, and I get the exact same "right pixel completely missing, rest of screen scaled by 1 pixel so patterns are misaligned" situation. So it's not a unique perfect storm on my HTPC.

I would rather not have to use an external player for my media, and since I use WMC to do PVR recording, watching TV you can see the slightly unsharp results of the misalignment.

Can any of you suggest troubleshooting steps to help me fix this?

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 259

I can't offer any help but I can duplicate the issue. Playing back the Sharpness & Overscan test pattern (via the free test patterns you can download here) one pixel is missing on the right side using WMC. Using XBMC it's fine.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

I'm using Windows 8.1 with Intel video drivers.

post #3 of 14 Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Charles!

It's good to know I'm not alone. WMC is clearly doing something strange here, as any other player shows these patterns just fine. Even WMP can display them without fault.

I've got a parallel thread over on thegreenbutton.tv to cast a wider net than just one forum. Some ideas have come in but none have properly cured the issue yet.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6213

Since some people (with systems similar to mine) don't see it, I'm sure there is a resolution... it's probably some small tweak somewhere.

I greatly appreciate any further input. Just knowing I'm not alone really helps!

Marc

post #4 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

...Playing back the Sharpness & Overscan test pattern (via the free test patterns you can download here) one pixel is missing on the right side using WMC....
For me playing the AVCHD disc in WMC just opens TMT inside WMC. But I can copy individual m2ts files into my Video library and they will play without opening TMT. So exactly which m2ts file on the AVDHD disc is the "Sharpness & Overscan" pattern?
post #5 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm at work but I think there is one called Basic Settings. Starts with black levels but has over scan stuff at the back end of it. Can look into it later if nobody else has it handy.

post #6 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also see:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6213

There is an "overscancrop" file linked there. I've tried it and it shows the same missing pixel in wmc.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm posting over there too (tzr916). I think my system plays the http://www.w6rz.net/overscancrop.zip fine, but it is hard to see for sure. The test pattern on the AVCHD disc is much better and I want to find it on the disc. I know how to play it from the menu of the disc. I know what chapter and scene it is. I need to know which m2ts file it is???
post #8 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sigh. At work so can't dig into it . Will try to look when I get home but taking wife to concert. Might not get to it until tomorrow.
Anybody else have the reference to which m2ts file?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

post #9 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

So exactly which m2ts file on the AVDHD disc is the "Sharpness & Overscan" pattern?

5-Sharpness & Overscan.mp4 is the filename. You can download different codecs from the link I listed above. I keep just a few of the videos/files stored on my NAS so I can test/configure devices as they come along.

https://www.wuala.com/alluringreality/Public/MP4-2c.exe - direct link to the mp4 version. 

post #10 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Could not find individual test pattern files in http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. Had to google it- http://ge.tt/30qOwZY/v/0

Played on my Win7 Pro 64bit verifies that the right most line is MISSING.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's good to know I'm not alone, yet scary to see the problem seems pervasive!

post #12 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I was able to find that it is 00076.m2ts on the disc. Played in WMC, same symptom...
post #13 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It seems nobody has a solution to his.

I've moved to using MPC-HC as an external player, called up by Media Browser, to play my movies with pixel perfect accuracy. It's sad that WMC can't seem to output a simple untouched video stream. Sigh.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I never even used WMC player for other than TV. I have always used MPC-HC and recently TMT5 for 3D Blu-ray playback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page