WMC playback issue with Mkv files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a new issue with some of my Mkv files when playing them with windows media center. Video playback is what appears to be 4x speed and nothing I try seems to fix it. It is a new problem but it doesn't seem to be affecting all of my Mkv files, just some of them. Some of the Mkv files that are playing super fast used to play flawless in WMC so I am stumped. I tried them in vlc player and the work fine so I believe it has nothing to do with the actual video files. I want my WMC player back to normal, any help would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 214
did you do anything with codecs? ive caused that before by screwing around with the microsoft audio decoder.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
That's happened to me on occasion. I can't say what the exact cause or correct fix was, but these are a few things I have done that have fixed the issue.

1) Reboot the HTPC
2) Refresh MediaBrowser service
3) Reboot Server
4) Update/Quick validate FlexRAID pool
5) Re-Rip Movie

You don't have to do all of them, but I would guess that's the order of easiest to most difficult.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't done anything with my codecs for months but I am not ready to discount codecs as the problem.

It is happening to some of the movies I know used to work fine but I just now noticed it with a new bluray I ripped. I tried re-ripping that first video but it still is playing 4x fast- even the sound is that fast too.  Re-ripping a good portion of my library would take me half of forever. A lot of my mkv files still work just fine and they were ripped using methods as the ones not working.

I tried restarting 3 times, no luck.

I tried moving the movie files to other harddrives, no luck there. I don't use any raid- configurations.

I do use media browser btw and I did not think to reset the media browser service, I will try that when I get off work.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Update to MB3 server/client while you are at it.

I was waiting to have it stable (the current betas are very stable) before rolling it on my HTPC but I started to have problems with MB2.6 last week so I went ahead and updated the client to MB3 Classic on my HTPC. I already had MB3 Server on my PC so it was smooth as silk. I also use HPC-HC with MadVR and LAV without issue. I just updated HPC-MC last week too without issue.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I was waiting to have it stable (the current betas are very stable) before rolling it on my HTPC but I started to have problems with MB2.6 last week so I went ahead and updated the client to MB3 Classic on my HTPC. I already had MB3 Server on my PC so it was smooth as silk. I also use HPC-HC with MadVR and LAV without issue. I just updated HPC-MC last week too without issue.

Good to hear. I have been holding out updating my main HTPC as the old setup was working wonderful. An big watch outs or did it just work? Did your library copy over easily?

In search of video bliss...
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I updated to mb3 and the problem is still there.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Quote:

Good to hear. I have been holding out updating my main HTPC as the old setup was working wonderful. An big watch outs or did it just work? Did your library copy over easily?

You have to re-configure and scan your library because it is now done on the MB3 Server rather than each client machine. This is painless but I found that you definitely have to use UNC paths in the server or it won't work on the MB3 Classic Client on another PC. You also need to configure MB3 classic on the client machine to select your theme and player etc. It really isn't difficult but you basically have to redo your configuration which took me about half an hour to do on the client because, other than path convention, everything was previously set up on the server side already as I have been using MB3 Android for quite some time now.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insubordinator View Post

Use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema for your player and not WMC. Report back.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

what are you using as a splitter/decoder? I would uninstall anything previously installed and reinstall LAV. You need LAV Filters for playback of MKV files in WMC. It will serve as the splitter/decoder for playback in WMC.

In search of video bliss...
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema for your player and not WMC. Report back.

GUYS WMC is an appliance you're just doing it wrong.
gonzo90017 and pittsoccer33 like this.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

It works perfectly in media player classic.

It also works but without sound in aiseesoft blu ray player and vlc but without sound- I must have the something not set up right?

I am using shark007 for my whole codecs/splitter package. I've liked it so far because it has allowed me to use my xbox as an extender in wmc without any issues. I could try and uninstall and reinstall if I need to.

Most of my files still play normal, so I can't figure out what is different about these ones making them play so fast.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 150
Uninstall the Shark Codecs, reboot, update the sound drivers, reboot, and see if it works. You can then add the Shark Codecs back again and see what happens.
Insubordinator likes this.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

It works perfectly in media player classic.
It also works but without sound in aiseesoft blu ray player and vlc but without sound- I must have the something not set up right?

For MKV playback, in the Windows players the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox needs to be selected.
No sound in VLC player = it is not a codec problem.

Is UAC disabled? This could be your problem.
If it was disabled, the codecs need to be re-installed after setting UAC back to the default position.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 150
Out of curiosity, why does disabling the horror that is UAC (yes, my opinion, but it bugs me a lot) cause codec installation issues?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Quote:

GUYS WMC is an appliance you're just doing it wrong.

LOL! Yes but I still use WMC to load MB to load MPC-HC. The thing is that my HTPC has reached appliance status because it is fully configured and just works every time I go to use it and has for months, a couple of years actually, now. You seem to be confusing the statement that I and many "avser's" have HTPC's that are an appliance even with the minor shortcomings of WMC because they operate without issue day in and day out.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Out of curiosity, why does disabling the horror that is UAC (yes, my opinion, but it bugs me a lot) cause codec installation issues?

I like and appreciate UAC as I have gotten used to it it doesn't really pose a problem for me at all. I think, but do not know, that having it enabled allows proper registration of codecs whereas not having it enabled, well, doesn't. I may be wrong here.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I just use Shark007 for mkv playback in WMC and it works perfectly fine. I'm bitstreaming via HDMI if that makes any difference. No need to install additional sound drivers other than the Intel HD audio for the CPU. Also works great in XBMC for Blu-Ray mkv rips.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I just use Shark007 for mkv playback in WMC and it works perfectly fine. I'm bitstreaming via HDMI if that makes any difference. No need to install additional sound drivers other than the Intel HD audio for the CPU. Also works great in XBMC for Blu-Ray mkv rips.

captain - just to clarify, Shark's codecs have no effect and do not work with either xbmc or vlc (unless using either an external player or the DSPlayer build in xbmc). Both have their own proprietary codec systems which ignore the existence of other codec packs/installations.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Uninstall the Shark Codecs, reboot, update the sound drivers, reboot, and see if it works. You can then add the Shark Codecs back again and see what happens.

Sorry for the late reply, been super busy as of late. This worked. Everything has been working great since I uninstalled and reinstalled the Shark Codecs.