Aver Media HD Duet a188 TV Tuner not found in WMC with Asrock H77M mobo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have 2 HTPCs running Windows 7 WMC with an OTA connection into a Aver Media HD Duet A188 with an Asrock H77M mobo. 1 has been working fine for 9 months, the other 2 weeks. On the same day both had an error message in WMC no TV tuner found. I have uninstalled and updated the drivers to an old one from 2009 and new one from 2013, and the TV tuner seems to have come back, but after a restart sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not...

Is this a TV tuner issue, mobo issue, or what?!? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

When I first installed the TV tuner I was worried that the mobo didnt have the right size pci slot, but it has been working fine for months: http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-A188-HD-Duet-Windows/dp/B002HWRN9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382926151&sr=1-1&keywords=aver+media+a188 Mobo has 2 pciex16 slots & i have tried the tv tuner in both: http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-DDR3-1333-Intel-Motherboards/dp/B007OCJWTM/ref=cm_rdp_product In the North Bridge configuration, I set "PCI-E1 Link Speed" to Gen1 so the AVerMedia PCI-E card would work in the PCI-E 3.0 slot but seems to have the same issue in both slots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How old are your cards? This was a known issue with the first batch of cards that were released. Usually removing and then re-inserting the cards would fix the issue temporarily. The only permanent fix was to send them back to Avermedia to have them repaired.

Although at least in my experience it only happened on AMD based motherboards. Once I put them on an Intel board the issue disappeared. smile.gif
post #3 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It seems strange that both had the error message on the same day. Was there a Windows update at that time to both PCs that might have caused this?
post #4 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

How old are your cards? This was a known issue with the first batch of cards that were released. Usually removing and then re-inserting the cards would fix the issue temporarily. The only permanent fix was to send them back to Avermedia to have them repaired.

Although at least in my experience it only happened on AMD based motherboards. Once I put them on an Intel board the issue disappeared. smile.gif

1 card is about a year old and the other I just got on Amazon so I would assume new. I too have had the same issues on AMD boards, but never on Intel boards?!? It is sad that the Duet is such a great TV Tuner-but only when it is able to be used...
post #5 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
First thing to check is the fitting of the cards - my only experience with the disappearing Duet was after I accidently pushed the coax cable at the back of the pc while connecting another device, and that apperently unseated the card. After pushing it back into the slot, it worked. This happened a few more times, and the fix was the same every time.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How could you unseat a card like that? Don't you have screws on the bracket?
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

First thing to check is the fitting of the cards - my only experience with the disappearing Duet was after I accidently pushed the coax cable at the back of the pc while connecting another device, and that apperently unseated the card. After pushing it back into the slot, it worked. This happened a few more times, and the fix was the same every time.

Definitely got this covered-it's screwed in and it happens when I am just testing it and not moving it at all...
post #8 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

It seems strange that both had the error message on the same day. Was there a Windows update at that time to both PCs that might have caused this?

That is what I thought too, but it doesn't appear so the update was minor and a few days ahead of the TV tuner failure.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have at least controlled the issue so it is workable. Under Asrock BIOS in the North Bridge configuration, I set "PCI-E1 Link Speed" to Gen1 so the AVerMedia PCI-E card would work in the PCI-E 3.0 slot. The tv tuner seems to be working fine now as long as I don't do a full shut down. I leave my HTPC on full time normally so not a big deal. If it does get shut down the tv tuner isn't available, until you do a restart.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post
I have 2 HTPCs running Windows 7 WMC with an OTA connection into a Aver Media HD Duet A188 with an Asrock H77M mobo. 1 has been working fine for 9 months, the other 2 weeks. On the same day both had an error message in WMC no TV tuner found. I have uninstalled and updated the drivers to an old one from 2009 and new one from 2013, and the TV tuner seems to have come back, but after a restart sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not...

Is this a TV tuner issue, mobo issue, or what?!? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

When I first installed the TV tuner I was worried that the mobo didnt have the right size pci slot, but it has been working fine for months: http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-A188-HD-Duet-Windows/dp/B002HWRN9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382926151&sr =1-1&keywords=aver+media+a188 Mobo has 2 pciex16 slots & i have tried the tv tuner in both: http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-DDR3-1333-Intel-Motherboards/dp/B007OCJWTM/ref=cm_rdp_product In the North Bridge configuration, I set "PCI-E1 Link Speed" to Gen1 so the AVerMedia PCI-E card would work in the PCI-E 3.0 slot but seems to have the same issue in both slots.
I had similar problems . I fixed by putting in a new motherboard battery. I have an ASRock z77 pro4 motherboard. On boot up when I f2 to show the setup , I can display connected cards or pci-e connections. Whenever the tv tuners went missing. the pci-e slot showed as empty. Putting in a new battery Cr 2032 fixed the problem. It seems on power on the Bios POST look for occupied slots and connections. I believe that the return / present loop on the Aver a188 tuner card is the problem and only a fully charged Mobo battery 3.22 V will detect the tuner card. Good Luck
post #11 of 12 Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanjvan View Post
I had similar problems . I fixed by putting in a new motherboard battery. I have an ASRock z77 pro4 motherboard. On boot up when I f2 to show the setup , I can display connected cards or pci-e connections. Whenever the tv tuners went missing. the pci-e slot showed as empty. Putting in a new battery Cr 2032 fixed the problem. It seems on power on the Bios POST look for occupied slots and connections. I believe that the return / present loop on the Aver a188 tuner card is the problem and only a fully charged Mobo battery 3.22 V will detect the tuner card. Good Luck
thanks for the info!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
that right,The tv tuner seems to be working fine now as long as I don't do a full shut down. I leave my HTPC on full time normally so not a big deal. If it does get shut down the tv tuner isn't available, until you do a restart.thanks[IMG]http://*******/Xv1t7N[/IMG]
Reply Home Theater Computers