Keyboard/trackpad for TV and HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does anyone know a good way to control both a TV/HTPC with a keyboard/trackpad? I only need the keyboard functionality with the TV but need both for the HTPC. I bought a Logitech K400 not realizing that it wouldn't sync to two unifying USB receivers. I'd prefer not to have to have two different keyboards but I guess if there is a really good tiny keyboard only device for the TV I wouldn't mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360507631318?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
post #3 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I love using this:

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

Does anyone know a good way to control both a TV/HTPC with a keyboard/trackpad? I only need the keyboard functionality with the TV but need both for the HTPC. I bought a Logitech K400 not realizing that it wouldn't sync to two unifying USB receivers. I'd prefer not to have to have two different keyboards but I guess if there is a really good tiny keyboard only device for the TV I wouldn't mind.

Assuming your TV and HTPC are connected via HDMI, and assuming your TV supports CEC, you can use an HDMI-CEC adapter from pulse eight (http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx). It will allow you to control both devices from one IR remote. Keyboard/mouse devices are mostly bluetooth, so it's rare to find a TV that can be controlled in that way. I use a logitech diNovo mini for keyboard/mouse functionality whenever I need it, but that's only occasionally.

There also might be a way to do something using eventghost, but I haven't looked at that in a long time.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That looks like an interesting option with that adapter. I've had mixed experiences with CEC. I have a 65VT50 and I got audio return channel working great. I can also change the volume to the TV and it will adjust the receiver volume. My only issue is that I hate when it tried to change the input on the receiver for me. I've had a couple times when the receiver will change to TV input from cable TV resulting in a loss of audio. Not sure why thats occurring. The small keyboard would also be a good option.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

That looks like an interesting option with that adapter. I've had mixed experiences with CEC. I have a 65VT50 and I got audio return channel working great. I can also change the volume to the TV and it will adjust the receiver volume. My only issue is that I hate when it tried to change the input on the receiver for me. I've had a couple times when the receiver will change to TV input from cable TV resulting in a loss of audio. Not sure why thats occurring. The small keyboard would also be a good option.

I'm only controlling two devices in my system (HTPC and TV.. I do not need a reciever), and both are connected via hdmi. I don't have the pulse-eight adapter yet, but I'm planning on doing it soon. Really, I'm only interested in powering both devices on and off simultaneously so I don't have to have more than one remote on hand, so my requirements should be pretty easy to meet.

I picked up two diNovo mini's used on Ebay about two years ago, and they've both worked very well. My seven-year-old son took to it quickly. They can still be found pretty cheap.. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xdinovo+mini&_nkw=dinovo+mini&_sacat=0&_from=R40).
post #7 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 377
There's nothing in the CEC spec to accommodate alpha keyboard commands, so that's a dead end. A cheap wireless keyboard and two identical receivers will probably do the trick.

A universal remote is the cheapest, easiest way to power on/off several things simultaneously. That also takes care of input switching and key group mapping. Pulse-eight is a cool device, but seems to me like an overly complex way to avoid spending 10 bucks on a universal remote.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have a universal remote. The reason I need control is for text inputs. I can use a remote but boy is it slow. I tried using a wireless keyboard with two identical receivers but, at least the logitech device, would only pair with one receiver.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

I have a universal remote. The reason I need control is for text inputs. I can use a remote but boy is it slow. I tried using a wireless keyboard with two identical receivers but, at least the logitech device, would only pair with one receiver.
Understood. Cheaper ones probably don't pair one for one like Logitech Unifying, but don't quote me on that.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page