Help, question reg watching live tv on GoogleTv using SiliconDust device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
KG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have a quick question. I am planning to buy the HDTC-2US as I would like to have transcoding capability.
I currently have a PC upstairs (connected to a projector) and a TV downstairs that I would like to watch live tv and recorded TV on.
I am still trying to figure out what s/w to use to be able to see the guide, start recording the shows, watch recorded shows.

I know I can use Windows Media Center upstairs on my PC, but what about downstairs where I have no PC?
My PC runs Plex Media Server and I have Plex clients running on both my GoogleTV's so I can play any media stored on
my PC on the projector and TV through my GoogleTV's Plex interface.
I don't mind running windows Media Center s/w upstairs to watch live tv (if that is the only option), but I definitely
don't want to add another PC just so i can get to use a TV Guide. I probably will be able to just access the recorded
TV shows through Plex since they will be stored as MP4? So watching recorded content I am thinking should not be that
much of a problem, but watching live tv might be a problem downstairs without a PC. Is this correct?

Here is my full components list:
Upstairs:
Win 7 64bit PC, Denon 3310 A/V receiver, Projector, GoogleTV (Revue), gigabit switch connected to all these components
Downstairs:
PS3, Denon 1613 A/V receiver, GoogleTV (Revue), gigabit switch (this is connected to the upstairs gigabit switch)

Thanks in advance,
KG
I did search around and found some apps (InstaTV, HomeRunTV) that will allow me to watch on Android tablet/phone, but those
won't work with my GoogleTV's.
There is the Tune N View app that works with GoogleTV, but does not have a TV Guide and from what I could find, Plex plugin
also does not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 413
That's what extenders do. Ceton Echo, Xbox, etc. Get one, then plug it into your Google TV if you must: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5569

If you aren't married to WMC, then XBMC and a Raspberry Pi will also do the job.

If I were you, I'd also hold out for the HDTC4-2US.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Tune N View - no guide and slow channel change. For HD, you probably need a wired connection to be usable.
InstaTV - guide is a work-in-progress but unless Google update all google tv to 4.2 I doubt InstaTV will work.

SiliconDust will release an Android app with HDTC (with guide I believe). But, same reason for InstaTV, unless Google update all google tv to 4.2, the Android app probably won't work on GoogleTV too. Google TV is a mess. You may be better off buying some Chinese Android TV stick that runs full Android.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
KG1

Thanks mdavej, that is great news!, if I get an extender, can I be watching live tv downstairs via the extender, but watch a movie upstairs on the PJ? I think so, but just want to confirm.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
KG1

Thanks netant, did not realize InstaTV has a guide feature in the works. I know about the SD app, but not sure if that will come with guide.
I am hopeful that with the latest KitKat announcement, all future GoogleTV's will run the full blown version of latest android, which then will bring the InstaTV app back into play for me...
post #6 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG1 View Post

Thanks mdavej, that is great news!, if I get an extender, can I be watching live tv downstairs via the extender, but watch a movie upstairs on the PJ? I think so, but just want to confirm.

Yes you can. I have this same set up

WMC PC that is my dvr and main movie player. It runs Plex server in the background.

Then in my bedroom I have a Logitech Revue with a Linksys DMA2100 extender plugged into it. That way I get the best of everything on one tv input - live tv, recordings, netflix, and access to my archived films

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG1 View Post

You can add up to 5 simultaneous, and unlimited number extenders to a WMC system for viewing TV and other content other than PC hosting WMC. We have 6 TV's in the house with a single HTPC, and 5 extenders. Each TV is like its own DVR, but you can view stuff recorded on "one TV" on any other TV. Or pause on "one TV" and resume on "another TV"

Edit: Just maek sure your HTPC complies with Microsofts requirements for Extender use.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page