OTA antenna feed w/ AverMedia HD Duet tv tuner, Windows 7 WMC not recording-keeps freezing & crashing, but live TV & pause works fine?!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I actually have 2 of the exact same HTPCs, with the same specs below.  Both have been working fine for almost 2 years, but most recently WMC crashes, freezes and will not record on 1 of the HTPCs.  Live TV (even pausing a show), playing previously recorded TV, Netflix, etc. all works fine. Tried to setup the TV signal again and WMC just sits there.  Also, updated the guide, restarted, and uninstalled a few conflicting anti-virus programs that somehow got on the HTPC.  The TV tuner does show in device manager, and Windows said firmware was up to date.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing this, and how I might try to fix it?

HTPC SPECS: Windows 7 w/ WMC, 3.0 ghz 3MB cache intel processor W/ onboard HD processor, 4 GB RAM, Aver Media HD Duet TV tuner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Liked: 17
Turn off the pc. Remove the card from the system for a few minutes, then reinstert it.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I have had the Duet for years and it works fine when it does, and there are times after a reboot where the card is NOT in Device Manager.  Because of this I check the tuners to be there whenever I'm done rebooting and expect the HTPC to be "working".

I've heard of intermittent Duets as they age, but mine is not doing that.

I would suggest installing MediaPortal as an alternate frontend to use the Duet.  It's free and will allow you to see the tuner working steadily... it would serve as just another means to troubleshoot the duet by having two front ends to see when the duet is working or not working.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

Turn off the pc. Remove the card from the system for a few minutes, then reinstert it.

Didn't seem to do the trick, any other thoughts?

post #5 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I have had the Duet for years and it works fine when it does, and there are times after a reboot where the card is NOT in Device Manager.  Because of this I check the tuners to be there whenever I'm done rebooting and expect the HTPC to be "working".

I've heard of intermittent Duets as they age, but mine is not doing that.

I would suggest installing MediaPortal as an alternate frontend to use the Duet.  It's free and will allow you to see the tuner working steadily... it would serve as just another means to troubleshoot the duet by having two front ends to see when the duet is working or not working.

I too have had the disappearing Duet, but this seems to be a different issue. I can still watch live TV, but Recording TV will not work at all in WMC.  Is this an issue with WMC or the TV Tuner?  Any suggestions to fix are greatly appreciated!  thanks

post #6 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you assured you have adequate storage, and that you're not exceeding a quota you'd assigned? Seems to me it's a WMC issue since it makes no sense if the tuner does LiveTV it couldn't record. That's why I'm reverting to basics, storage space, drive is on-line, quotas...

Have you tried MediaPortal? JUST as a test, not trying to convert you. It would allow you to tune, record and maybe see why WMC isn't recording because there's a similar issue in MP, or not!
tspitz likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspitz View Post

Both have been working fine for almost 2 years, but most recently WMC crashes, freezes and will not record on 1 of the HTPCs.

Maybe, if you haven't tried it yet, try restoring the system on the failing PC (using Windows 7 System Restore) from a restore point that is dated before you had problems with WMC.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Maybe, if you haven't tried it yet, try restoring the system on the failing PC (using Windows 7 System Restore) from a restore point that is dated before you had problems with WMC.

Have not tried this yet, will give it a shot, thanks.

post #9 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Have you assured you have adequate storage, and that you're not exceeding a quota you'd assigned? Seems to me it's a WMC issue since it makes no sense if the tuner does LiveTV it couldn't record. That's why I'm reverting to basics, storage space, drive is on-line, quotas...

Have you tried MediaPortal? JUST as a test, not trying to convert you. It would allow you to tune, record and maybe see why WMC isn't recording because there's a similar issue in MP, or not!

Drive space is all good. Haven't tried MP yet, how difficult is it to setup and record?

post #10 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
These are just a couple things I recently read & perhaps they will help or maybe point you in the right direction.

Take a look at message #15 in this other forum’s thread. Perhaps you can’t record because the system thinks it is out room.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4800

Here’s a link explaining a couple different ways to reset WMC. Maybe one of them will help.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6326
tspitz likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have not tried this yet, will give it a shot, thanks.

On a related note, the "one day it just started having problems" scenario is a good reason to go the extra mile with a disk backup utility, like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Several times, my main Windows machine has had issues (probably user error - the PC is shared with other household members). Rather than trying to understand the issue or debug it, I just restore the entire system partition from my Acronis backup (I usually make a fresh backup once a week), and I'm always back in business smile.gif

I wish you luck. Please let us know if you are successful or not smile.gif

post #12 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

On a related note, the "one day it just started having problems" scenario is a good reason to go the extra mile with a disk backup utility, like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Several times, my main Windows machine has had issues (probably user error - the PC is shared with other household members). Rather than trying to understand the issue or debug it, I just restore the entire system partition from my Acronis backup (I usually make a fresh backup once a week), and I'm always back in business smile.gif

I wish you luck. Please let us know if you are successful or not smile.gif

Is this any different than using a built in Windows setup? Can't remember what windows calls it-Backup & Restore maybe...  Doesn't windows allow one to do a restore back to a certain date (from updates?)-this way I don't even need to worry about remembering and taking the time to back it up?

post #13 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is this any different than using a built in Windows setup? Can't remember what windows calls it-Backup & Restore maybe...  Doesn't windows allow one to do a restore back to a certain date (from updates?)-this way I don't even need to worry about remembering and taking the time to back it up?

I think the native Windows 7 tool is called "Windows Restore", and the restoration data is called Windows Restore Points. Here, the Windows operating system automatically saves the current system state, like driver settings and system configuration. I don't think Windows saves any user-created data, like your documents, pictures or video/audio media files. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

A backup tool, like Norton Ghost or Acronis, is a 3rd party utility (not native to Windows), and is better "insurance" in that it takes a snapshot of the entire system -- your Windows settings, your personal files -- absolutely everything that is present on your OS partition is backed up to an image file that can be restored at anytime. This (to me) is better than relying on Windows Restore for a few reasons.

1. An image backup tool can restore the Windows system to either the same disk from which it was created, or it can be migrated to another disk, if necessary. Windows Restore cannot do this; all restoration is on the local disk/partition only. An example of why you would want to be able to restore to another disk is given in item #3 below.

2. I don't think Windows Restore can save you from system changes brought on by viruses or malware.

3. The act of backing up your system partition (with Ghost or Acronis) serves not only to save ALL your data, but it also can help to let you know if your system drive (either hard disk drive or solid state drive) is going to fail. As an example, I've gotten a head's up on an impending disk drive failure from doing my weekly backup... in that instance, the Acronis backup tool interrupted the backup process because it could not read a sector block on the hard drive. Sure enough, my hard disk failed a disk check and was growing bad sectors. I was able to rescue the data, re-do the backup (which completed successfully after the data rescue), then restore the system onto a brand new disk, and then finally discard the failed disk. Without doing regular backups, I probably would have lost the drive, resulting in having to replace the drive and then re-install the OS and all my programs from scratch (and probably would have lost all my personally created data as well).

I hope this explanation helps.
tspitz likes this.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

now the TV Guide in WMC stopped updating too. This makes me think it has something to do with WMC more than the TV tuner.

post #15 of 15 Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

SOLUTION & UPDATE:

Not sure what caused this issue, but here is what fixed it: manually turn media center off from the control panel (in programs and features>turn windows features on or off), Restart,  then turn media center back on in control panel.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page