Need Help building HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone I'm new at this htpc building idea. I got the idea after seeing a friends last week and I thought I could build one. However with all the different parts I'm really confused.  I was hoping for some help. I was going to list some of the parts and get some feedback from everyone about if that's too much for a htpc that will be used mainly for movies. I was going to try and add maybe some old SNES games later on in life. I do have a 7.1 Yamaha receiver and I plan on hooking it HDMI to my TV.

So here:

Case:

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 6000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Processor:

Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450

Motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-Z87N-WIFI LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813128615

Ram:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Power Supply:

Unsure what to get because I will be hopefully ont day hooking 6 4tb internal hard drives to the device

Graphic Card:

Unsure if I need one and not sure if which one to but if I do

Blu-Ray Burner:

SUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-16D1HT

Item #: N82E16827135306

Thanks for the help if you need anything else let me know.

Joel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Try to find what people would think of playing emulator games on the HD 2500. Those old systems really don't need much graphic power but I'd want to try getting some opinions on how the different emulator filters and scaling abilities will work.

I have an AMD A10-5800k and I do alot of emulator stuff. Even Wii and Gamecube work well at 720p with that APU alone.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 17
That is a lot of overkill for an HTPC. A low end current intel dual core or even a Celeron is plenty sufficient. Even for a strong system, not much reason to go above an i3. Ram...again, fancy memory is overkill. You just want something stable, which you should find in any name brand piece. No need for performance RAM. I would probably go with 8gb if you use windows MCE simply because it seems to be the sweet spot for x64 windows in general as well as the sweet spot price wise. 4 will get the job done though. This isn't a gaming rig where stepping up processing power, tight memory timings, and overclocking will make a difference. The key to HTPC's is efficiency. A certain level of hardware will handle the video/codecs/resolution you desire, and with that figured out, the aim should be going as low power (less heat) and quiet (low power/less heat a big factor) as you can. Additional processing power beyond what it takes for the codecs/res you use really doesn't do anything for you. As far as video goes, that is dependent on if you are going to set up any post-processing and at what level. The on chip video of the newer intels is plenty for normal hardware decoding of 1080p video...and if you get into post processing, how much muscle you need depends on what level of processing you want. For SNES emulation...that level game system/emulation needs next to nothing in relation to todays processing power. You should easily be able to run that on even a Celeron with on chip video. Power supply...depends on what you decide for video really. Again, this isn't a gaming machine, so you don't need some $200 huge jiggawatt unit. To put into perspective, you can easily only draw 30-50w at load from the wall on a basic sandybridge or newer HTPC without even much effort placed into efficiency. You also need to consider the efficiency range of the power supply as well. For example if you got some fancy 750w quality PSU for future headroom for whatever reason, and end up with a system that only draws 50w, you may not be using enough juice from that psu for it to operate efficiently and probably would pull less from the wall with an average 300w unit then that fancy high dollar 750w. I'd just go with a lower wattage quality unit, unless you put in a relatively powerfull video card, then bump it up as needed. As far as the vid cards go....when they put up requirement such as recommending a 500w PSU for example......that isn't some sort of code for high end 1000w power supply. Those recommendations are based on a relatively heavily loaded system using a cheap no name over rated PSU. Therefore, say the max draw of that particular card is 250w, and you estimate the rest of the system to draw 50w at load, you could comfortably use a quality 400w psu and be just fine even though they recommended 500w.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Try to find what people would think of playing emulator games on the HD 2500. Those old systems really don't need much graphic power but I'd want to try getting some opinions on how the different emulator filters and scaling abilities will work.

I have an AMD A10-5800k and I do alot of emulator stuff. Even Wii and Gamecube work well at 720p with that APU alone.

I don't know about WII...but I used to run gamecube stuff as well as playstation 1 on my laptop many years ago with integrated video....long before the on chip video of the i cores which was a big step up. I'd imagine even the HD1000 of Celerons much less the HD2500 could handle it.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks for all the help Chief. If you would change anything in my original setup do you have any recommendations that you can give me a link to buy these from.

post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice motherboard, lots of great features. Be careful not to loose it in that huge case.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page