Budget HTPC To Integrate With My NAS - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Well- let's throw "integration" out the window on this build while we're at it.

It occurred to me that going forward with the Synology just doesn't make a lot of sense at this point- unless someone can show me otherwise.

With my selected Antec 302 case, I have (6) 3.5 drive bays, so why not just fill them with HDDs?! biggrin.gif

This offers me more space than I will EVER need (no, I'm not a digital whore- I have 98% of every past show/movie I'll ever want on 7 TBs currently and routinely delete junk that has no value to me) at 24 TBs (before parity).

The Antec 302 has 2 fans built-in, but will I need another?

Now, it seems I can unload my 412+ for darn near what I spent and move forward with a one box solution. Can anyone detail why this is not the way to go?

thanks gang.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let's talk power supply now if we can.

At first I let the half-dozen HDDs scare me a bit with their (anticipated) power consumption, but after looking into it , it seems they consume 7.5 w's "on average". Ok, so let's just double it and say 90 total watts for 6 drives.

Now, I read the mobo/Haswell will run about 80-100. I prolly won't run a dedicated graphics card but let's say I do and account 200 for that- which I believe is a bit bloated but we'll play it safe.

15 for a few fans. 10 for RAM? 20 for a BD drive?

SO maybe 450ish all day? Am I missing something? Does the PSU itself factor in somehow?

I guess I see these 6 and 700 watt supplies and just wonder what the hell is going on with that much power if I'm loading a case up with 6 HDDs, assuming a high end g-card, have a high/er end cpu/board, BD drive, RAM, fans, and I'm barely making it to 400.

EDIT: I loaded this calculator to the gills, and it spit out 296 watts: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

thanks for the knowledge.

James

post #63 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All that babbling really comes down to this: will this PSU work for me? After discounts and rebate, it's $25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049

thanks

James

post #64 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

All that babbling really comes down to this: will this PSU work for me? After discounts and rebate, it's $25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049

thanks

James

I was a little concern when adding my parts to PCPARTPICKER.COM and according to caution notes the Gskill RAM, and the PCU weren't a good match or something to that effect, I said screw it, it's freaking 450 watts.

This is what I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

With these Gskill RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Dan
post #65 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I was a little concern when adding my parts to PCPARTPICKER.COM and according to caution notes the Gskill RAM, and the PCU weren't a good match or something to that effect, I said screw it, it's freaking 450 watts.

This is what I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

With these Gskill RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Dan

For compatibility reasons it is better to go with 1.5v ram. Has nothing to do with the power supply.

post #66 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

For compatibility reasons it is better to go with 1.5v ram. Has nothing to do with the power supply.

Will I see issues with the 1.65v?

Djoel
post #67 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Better why? Because of the CPU/mobo?

thanks

James

post #68 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the info Djoel...

the PC part picker has me at $1904 all day for my build. Now that included $905 for (5) 4 TB seagates and a GTX graphics card- neither of which will be included, so call it $965, out the door. That's the Haswell, the Asrock z87, Gskill ripjaws 2x8, OCZ Vector 128, LG WH16ns40 BD, Antec 302 case, a Corsair 430 psu (it calculated 316 watts) and Windows 7.

My reality is $670. Between the $150 savings on the CPU/mobo combo, the virtually free OS (-$130 for 7 PRO), the heavily discounted PSU the additional $300 savings is just about right.

it listed no incompatibilities, but does anything jump out to anyone? Seeing my link for my RAM was from last year (16 gigs for $54!!!) I may just bite the bullet now to get started on this.

thanks for all of the assistance!

By the way: does someone want to sell me on a graphics card. I've fell out of gaming over the years but I will admit I'm anxious to revisit it with this thing as I have no console of any kind.

Wait...maybe I'm selling myself already. biggrin.gif

Wow, $670...and I should be able to get most of that back through the sale of my Synology. Hard to imagine something like this could be built for such a figure! eek.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

James

post #69 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:

Let's talk power supply now if we can.

At first I let the half-dozen HDDs scare me a bit with their (anticipated) power consumption, but after looking into it , it seems they consume 7.5 w's "on average". Ok, so let's just double it and say 90 total watts for 6 drives.

Now, I read the mobo/Haswell will run about 80-100. I prolly won't run a dedicated graphics card but let's say I do and account 200 for that- which I believe is a bit bloated but we'll play it safe.

15 for a few fans. 10 for RAM? 20 for a BD drive?

SO maybe 450ish all day? Am I missing something? Does the PSU itself factor in somehow?

I guess I see these 6 and 700 watt supplies and just wonder what the hell is going on with that much power if I'm loading a case up with 6 HDDs, assuming a high end g-card, have a high/er end cpu/board, BD drive, RAM, fans, and I'm barely making it to 400.

EDIT: I loaded this calculator to the gills, and it spit out 296 watts: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

thanks for the knowledge.

James

You sound like you are right on track. 450 watt or 550 watt should be fine. No need for the 700+ watt PSU's that MFG seem to market at you like you need it. rolleyes.gif

I have a 550 watt Rosewill Captsone in my server. (I think? ) I built so many I am losing track. wink.gif But I am pretty sure. biggrin.gif It works fine with my Z77 and 16hdd's so far. It should handle all 20 bays full on my Norco, both Sata cards. I do not run a GPU card in my server.

Did you already buy a PSU or you are looking for one ?

Quote:

Better why? Because of the CPU/mobo?

thanks

James

The recommended max is 1.65v so it should work. It's just a recommendation anyways. I think something like a Z87 enthusiast grade board from a good MFG like Asrock or Asus should certainly work fine with G.Skill Trident X Ram 2400mhz DDR3. That's like a major tire maker's tires going on a major brand sports car.

If you were looking at cheaper parts (non K chips, Non Z mobo, off name brands) you might run into compatibility but I doubt there is any with Gskill's flagship ram line and Asrock's flagship motherboard. I run that myself.

1.65v is the upper level of what you want, but my guess is you can probably push it higher if you wanted. Some dudes are running Trident X @ 3000mhz with overclocks on the CPU and it's stable. Running it on the "auto" or "stock" setting should not pose any compatibility problems. (I am guessing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Will I issues with the 1.65v?

Djoel

I do not think so. Probably not. I run Trident X in my 4770k Z87 Asrock and no issues.
1.65v is the recommended max. But in the overclock community they would laugh at that..
An i7 and Z87 board will run 1.65v ram without issues(usually). Many crank up the voltage beyond that chasing overclock stability... It's just a matter of heat. It makes more of it.
1.5v is safe bet for a basic machine, but 1.65v will run fine on a decent machine with decent parts.

If you just slap in the ram and run it "stock" or XMP or "default" or "auto" it should be fine. But when you start overclocking or letting the Z87 do it's adaptive voltage stair stepping you can get crazy.

Z87 and 1150 socket uses adaptive voltage offsets- so that can be tricky (and go too much). For that reason most serious overclockers will use manual voltage at specific settings. I doubt you are going into this territory so you should be perfectly fine.

I beat my Extreme4 and Z87 pretty good so far and nothing but happiness to report back. I can't imagine anyone going beyond what I have done without serious cooling or a brain sickness.
I run mine as a desktop workstation and I mess around with a lot more than most ever would in a server or HTPC machine. My HTPC is a 3570k, which also ran Trident X 2400mhz ram without any issues too. I do not overclock my HTPC.

Quote:

the PC part picker has me at $1904 all day for my build. Now that included $905 for (5) 4 TB seagates and a GTX graphics card- neither of which will be included, so call it $900, out the door. That's the Haswell, the Asrock z87, Gskill ripjaws 2x8, OCZ Vector 128, LG WH16ns40 BD, Antec 302 case, a Corsair 430 psu (it calculated 316 watts) and Windows 7.

My reality is $670. Between the $150 savings on the CPU/mobo combo, the virtually free OS, the heavily discounted PSU the additional $300 savings is just about right.

it listed no incompatibilities, but does anything jump out to anyone? Seeing my link for my RAM was from last year (16 gigs for $54!!!) I may just bite the bullet now to get started on this.

By the way: does someone want to sell me on a graphics card. I've fell out of gaming over the years but I will admit I'm anxious to revisit it with this thing as I have no console of any kind.

Wait...maybe I'm selling myself already. biggrin.gif

Wow, $670...and I should be able to get most of that back through the sale of my Synology. Hard to imagine something like this could be built for such a figure! eek.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

James

My thought is you might want to consider a PSU that is more in line with the quality of your machine. That PSU will work fine, but a higher quality 80+ Gold 450watt or 550watt might make sense. Seasonic or Rosewill (Superflower) both on sale next neek. If I dig up the Newegg link I will post it.

For a GPU card- if you are going to do HTPC you might want a Radeon since it's a pretty straight forward set up and has no 0-255 issues. It also has great frame rates and works really well on Madvr. The cheapest I would go is about $100 for a 7790 Radeon (or the new R series that is the same)

A 7870 Radeon is probably your sweet spot in price to performance ratio. Or you could go all the way with a 7990 OC edition or a GTX TITAN from Nvidia eek.gif What is your budget and anticipated level of gaming? I can't imagine you need more than a 7870 Radeon would you ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #70 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

this seems to be a great deal on this rip jaws 16G 1866 RAM: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GWMR6U/?tag=pcpapi-20

Lock it in?

Ditto for this Antec Gold PSU, $50 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371071

Thanks for the great info above Mfusick. I'm ready to hit GO on the above RAM, PSU, that OCZ Vector 128G SSD, the Antec 302, and the BD drive if we think it's the right move. smile.gif

I may just forgo a g-card right now. Let's see where this gaming bug goes first, lol. I once- wait for it- bought a PS3 TWICE trying to "re" fall in love with gaming and it didn't work. I'd really like to avoid another episode, so perhaps I'll hold off for now.

James

post #71 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Personally I liked the Trident X ram tongue.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #72 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah I'll be you do, lol. Thanks Djoel. tongue.gif

James

post #73 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the PC part picker has me at $1904 all day for my build. Now that included $905 for (5) 4 TB seagates and a GTX graphics card- neither of which will be included, so call it $965, out the door. That's the Haswell, the Asrock z87, Gskill ripjaws 2x8, OCZ Vector 128, LG WH16ns40 BD, Antec 302 case, a Corsair 430 psu (it calculated 316 watts) and Windows 7.

My reality is $670. Between the $150 savings on the CPU/mobo combo, the virtually free OS (-$130 for 7 PRO), the heavily discounted PSU the additional $300 savings is just about right.

Sounds good so far, and saving at all the righ places, have you been reading Nickhitachi's thread great info there as well Mr.Mfusick aka Twin-maker, and others rock stars have added some valuable info he first started with a modest budget but it has double. Sometimes there's now way around that. I love that you're going with the 4tb and call it a day.

Quote:

James
I sold my 400 Sony changer for a pretty penny, so at the end of my build it should settle in at 550 or so, I'm quite happy with number, so you'll be in a better spot once you sell the NAS.

Dan
post #74 of 76 Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Lmao, I ALSO sold my BD changer for a gorgeous penny- $400 MORE than I paid for it. So then, if the Synology goes for anything near what I paid for it (which is quite possible as I got the best deal around for it and then had it price adjusted TWICE) you can pretty much chop $400 off this build in grand scheme of things. Beautiful.

Ok as Jim Morrison said: THIS IS THE ENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND.

CPU/MOBO: Intel Haswell 4770K and ASRock Z87 Etreme 4 ATX: $309

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1866: $129 (sorry Mfusick I put on the brakes tongue.gif)

SSD: OCZ Vecor 128: $120

BD Drive: LG WH16NS40: $49

PSU: Antec TruePower Classic series TP-550C 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply (this looked like a fantastic deal): $49

Case: Antec 302: $59

$705. - "x" for the Synology.

I think I should be in pretty good shape.

Thanks again everyone, I'm jacked up!!!

James
Djoel likes this.

post #75 of 76 Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, prolly about 99% done. Added an Asus 23" IPS monitor and Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Few wrinkles to iron out here and there but thus far, this thing is really something else. FOURTEEN MINUTES TO RIP A BLU RAY!!! biggrin.gif

Beats the hell out of an HOUR and fourteen minutes (though I was always happy to be able to do it at all with a 5 year old laptop wink.gif ).

The 23" monitor is great for a 2 foot viewing distance and I grabbed it at a great price...although I'm sure I'll see something else this week, somewhere. biggrin.gif

It (the monitor) doesn't come with intrgrated speakers so I was thinking about this, looking to keep the clean countertop look I'm going for, very nice nice price on amazon, anyone with any experience with it or other budget options? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-D200-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B003N9PJDI

I really like the fact that with the HDMI outs I can run to the monitor and my 100" living room screen without monkeying with anything...one button push. The wireless keyboard and mouse come in handy for such, too. smile.gif

In the end, I am extremely pleased with how everything went and the product I ended up with- the case looks VERY nice to me- as desktop computer cases go I guess tongue.gif - and I'm pretty darn convinced I maximized nearly every dollar I spent and there's NO WAY I could have touched this performance on the retail side anywhere near what I spent.

Turning on for first time...

A Disney 100", 23", and 10" Tri-Screen for a laugh:

Performance screen shot...I'm sure after I add a GPU the graphic totals will rocket up.

Thanks again for all of the help, everyone, it was and is very much appreciated. And a huge thanks to mrfattbill who started this whole mess...but threw in a mountain of support. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Enjoy a happy and safe Turkey week, everyone!!!

James
Djoel likes this.

post #76 of 76 Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, prolly about 99% done. Added an Asus 23" IPS monitor and Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Few wrinkles to iron out here and there but thus far, this thing is really something else. FOURTEEN MINUTES TO RIP A BLU RAY!!! biggrin.gif

Beats the hell out of an HOUR and fourteen minutes (though I was always happy to be able to do it at all with a 5 year old laptop wink.gif ).

The 23" monitor is great for a 2 foot viewing distance and I grabbed it at a great price...although I'm sure I'll see something else this week, somewhere. biggrin.gif

It (the monitor) doesn't come with intrgrated speakers so I was thinking about this, looking to keep the clean countertop look I'm going for, very nice nice price on amazon, anyone with any experience with it or other budget options? http://www.amazon.com/Creative-D200-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B003N9PJDI

I really like the fact that with the HDMI outs I can run to the monitor and my 100" living room screen without monkeying with anything...one button push. The wireless keyboard and mouse come in handy for such, too. smile.gif

In the end, I am extremely pleased with how everything went and the product I ended up with- the case looks VERY nice to me- as desktop computer cases go I guess tongue.gif - and I'm pretty darn convinced I maximized nearly every dollar I spent and there's NO WAY I could have touched this performance on the retail side anywhere near what I spent.

Turning on for first time...

A Disney 100", 23", and 10" Tri-Screen for a laugh:

Performance screen shot...I'm sure after I add a GPU the graphic totals will rocket up.

Thanks again for all of the help, everyone, it was and is very much appreciated. And a huge thanks to mrfattbill who started this whole mess...but threw in a mountain of support. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Enjoy a happy and safe Turkey week, everyone!!!

James

Big Congrats James
Sounds like you're having a great ol time, the little one will sure get plenty out of it as well, would love to hear what front end , etc.you went with..It's probably on here some where?lol

Great job

Dan
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page