Basic connectivity questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in the process of planning an HTPC, and while I have read plenty (and have plenty more to read) I have a couple, of what I am sure, are fairly basic questions. I had originally planned to put the PC in the basement, and then use my Xbox in the living room to stream off the PC.

However, I read something yesterday about connecting the PC to the receiver via HDMI. My current receiver does not have HDMI, so sometimes I forget how handy it will be to have HDMI. I plan on picking up a new receiver soon. Am I right in that if I connect the HTPC to the receiver directly, that I can skip having the Xbox (or any other device) from streaming media, and instead route it directly through the receiver to the TV? I then use one of the front ends available, combined with a remote to access and play the content on the PC?

I figure doing things this way would eliminate any network issues, as the PC is wired directly to the receiver. I can then also hard wire the PC to my router, which can then be used to stream to additional devices in the house. Going this route also leaves me the option to move my current blu-ray player to another room, as I would be ripping all my blu rays to the PC anyway.

This leads to my next question, with the PC in the living room. Are they typically pretty quiet? I have had some PC's that are quiet, and others that can be fairly noisy. I am sure this mostly comes down to the components used.

That's all really, now to go spend some more time reading about PC builds.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
How is your TV currently connected to your receiver?

Your PC will be as quiet or as loud as you want it to be. Mine is very quiet.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

How is your TV currently connected to your receiver?

Currently via RCA video, but as I wrote above, I am hoping to upgrade my receiver soon. It's a few years old, no HDMI, no subwoofer output etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mdavej 
Your PC will be as quiet or as loud as you want it to be. Mine is very quiet.

Thought as much, I am pretty sure I can make it very quiet.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still not clear on your current setup. You just have one set of component video cables and speaker cables (I guess) coming from the basement? Or do you have other HDMI video sources in the basement connected directly to the TV above? What I'm getting at is, for an interim solution, if you have the ability to easily run cables, keep the PC in the basement and run HDMI up to the TV directly and optical sound to your receiver. Then when you upgrade, that HDMI leaving the basement can stay as an output from the AVR, and you add a new one for the PC.

FWIW, my 20 year old receiver doesn't have HDMI either and I have no plans to change until it dies. I simply don't run any video through it, only audio. Whenever I need more HDMI inputs, I just add more HDMI switches. All my audio is optical from each of my sources direct to the AVR. You could do something similar.

I assume you already have an RF remote if you're controlling stuff in the basement from the floor above. If not, you'll need one.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, not sure if I was clear enough in my original post.... I currently have NO PC set up, in the basement or otherwise. When I first started looking at putting together an HTPC, I figured I would leave it in the basement, and simply use extenders (think Roku etc) to access content on my TV's upstairs.

I then read a post about connecting the PC to a receiver via HDMI. Which has me instead thinking of putting the PC (when I buy/build it) upstairs in the living room. I then access what is on the PC directly when in the living room, and still use extenders for other rooms.

Hopefully that clears things up.

After my initial post I did some more reading, and have pretty much answered my own questions. PC --> HDMI --> Receiver --> TV is the better way to go, especially as 90% of the content will be viewed in the living room anyway.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post

Am I right in that if I connect the HTPC to the receiver directly, that I can skip having the Xbox (or any other device) from streaming media, and instead route it directly through the receiver to the TV? I then use one of the front ends available, combined with a remote to access and play the content on the PC?

I figure doing things this way would eliminate any network issues, as the PC is wired directly to the receiver. I can then also hard wire the PC to my router, which can then be used to stream to additional devices in the house. Going this route also leaves me the option to move my current blu-ray player to another room, as I would be ripping all my blu rays to the PC anyway.

You're on the right track here. No device can play as many media formats as a computer, so that makes it a great choice as your primary media playback device. Like mdavej I do not have hdmi input on my receiver either. I use digital optical and have my software set up to support that. When I upgrade my receiver I just need to uncheck a few boxes in software to start using hdmi and hd audio.

You need to be careful with your playback devices through the rest of the house. You need to make sure they can play the variety of files you want to send to them. The Roku has extremely limited file support (it doesn't support the video codec used in DVDs and HDTV, for example). You will either need to create files it can play or use software that can create a compatible file in real time (a hardware intensive process called transcoding).

Also, the Xbox 360 cannot play most bluray discs when remuxed to an mkv. You would need to compress that disc to a size/codec/container that it does support.
Quote:

I
This leads to my next question, with the PC in the living room. Are they typically pretty quiet? I have had some PC's that are quiet, and others that can be fairly noisy. I am sure this mostly comes down to the components used.

Very much dependent on the components used. Streacom makes some very interesting passively cooled cases. Your main sources of noise are power supply, cpu cooler fan, and case fans. Optical and hard drives make a bit of noise but I think its negligible.

The more powerful the cpu you use, the harder it will be to cool it. All other things being equal that will mean more fans running faster and making more noise.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #7 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, not sure if I was clear enough in my original post.... I currently have NO PC set up, in the basement or otherwise. When I first started looking at putting together an HTPC, I figured I would leave it in the basement, and simply use extenders (think Roku etc) to access content on my TV's upstairs.

I then read a post about connecting the PC to a receiver via HDMI. Which has me instead thinking of putting the PC (when I buy/build it) upstairs in the living room. I then access what is on the PC directly when in the living room, and still use extenders for other rooms.

Hopefully that clears things up.

After my initial post I did some more reading, and have pretty much answered my own questions. PC --> HDMI --> Receiver --> TV is the better way to go, especially as 90% of the content will be viewed in the living room anyway.
I understand you don't have a PC yet. I'm asking how you currently get audio and video from whatever is in your basement (cable/sat boxes, AVR, disc players, game systems, whatever) to your TV upstairs. Is there a single bundle of component cables, speaker cables, or HDMI cables from each source (besides the receiver)? What video devices are connected to your receiver today which are, in turn, connected to your TV? Would it be easy or difficult to run more cables from the basement to your TV upstairs.

What I'm saying is you can buy/build a PC now and upgrade your receiver later, depending on your connection options. For example, you can run HDMI from your PC directly to your TV and optical to your receiver and have a very good interim solution.
abcdefghi likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I did not think I put that anything was in the basement? Only that I was originally thinking of locating the PC in the basement and then streaming media via the Xbox upstairs to the TV. See my original post:

I had originally planned to put the PC in the basement, and then use my Xbox in the living room to stream off the PC.

I don't see anything that says any other equipment is in the basement, I realize I also did not specifically say anything was in the living room other than the Xbox, but just assumed it would be clear that with the Xbox and TV in the living room, the receiver etc. would be as well. Regardless, I see what you are getting at. Currently to the receiver I have:

Bluray player - Optical to receiver, HDMI to TV
Xbox 360 - Optical to receiver, HDMI to TV
Cable box - RCA to receiver (which then sends video via RCA to the TV, I don't have HDTV, don't watch enough TV to feel that it's worth me paying extra, and ultimately I would like to cut the cord and just get OTA TV and use Hulu etc.)

With a PC that has an optical and HDMI out, I can move the Bluray player which free's up one of the optical inputs on my receiver, and instead would end up with:

HTPC - Optical to receiver, HDMI to TV
Cable box - RCA to receiver (which then sends video via RCA to the TV)

Which would work perfectly well until such time that my receiver dies, or I feel the need to upgrade it for other reasons. Thanks for pointing out this option though, as I had not thought of it, and while I would like a new receiver, I would prefer to get the PC up and running first and sort the receiver out later.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If your receiver has coax or optical input then you can still connect the PC to the receiver that way. The TV would connect to the video output of the PC. VGA still works, and supports full 1080p, just not 3D.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not think I put that anything was in the basement? Only that I was originally thinking of locating the PC in the basement and then streaming media via the Xbox upstairs to the TV. See my original post:

I had originally planned to put the PC in the basement, and then use my Xbox in the living room to stream off the PC.

I don't see anything that says any other equipment is in the basement, I realize I also did not specifically say anything was in the living room other than the Xbox, but just assumed it would be clear that with the Xbox and TV in the living room, the receiver etc. would be as well. Regardless, I see what you are getting at. Currently to the receiver I have:

Bluray player - Optical to receiver, HDMI to TV
Cable box - RCA to receiver (which then sends video via RCA to the TV, I don't have HDTV, don't watch enough TV to feel that it's worth me paying extra, and ultimately I would like to cut the cord and just get OTA TV and use Hulu etc.)

With a PC that has an optical and HDMI out, I can move the Bluray player which free's up one of the optical inputs on my receiver, and instead would end up with:

HTPC - Optical to receiver, HDMI to TV
Cable box - RCA to receiver (which then sends video via RCA to the TV)

Which would work perfectly well until such time that my receiver dies, or I feel the need to upgrade it for other reasons. Thanks for pointing out this option though, as I had not thought of it, and while I would like a new receiver, I would prefer to get the PC up and running first and sort the receiver out later.
Sorry, when you talked about putting the PC in the basement and mentioned your receiver's lack of HDMI, I assumed they were in the same room. Since nothing is in the basement, the configuration you have makes things much easier.

I would keep the blu-ray player and just add an HDMI switch if you are out of inputs. Your player is going to be a lot better, cheaper, and easier to use for discs and streaming than a PC. Your cable box can be removed entirely once your PC is up and running or if you go OTA of course. As mentioned above, digital coax for audio works just as well as optical, and VGA works just as well as HDMI (minus 3D), if that's an option. I personally use VGA from my PC since my HDMI video card was getting too hot for the tiny, not so well ventilated, case I have.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry, when you talked about putting the PC in the basement and mentioned your receiver's lack of HDMI, I assumed they were in the same room. Since nothing is in the basement, the configuration you have makes things much easier.

No problem, at least we are now on the same page!!
Quote:

I would keep the blu-ray player and just add an HDMI switch if you are out of inputs. Your player is going to be a lot better, cheaper, and easier to use for discs and streaming than a PC. Your cable box can be removed entirely once your PC is up and running or if you go OTA of course. As mentioned above, digital coax for audio works just as well as optical, and VGA works just as well as HDMI (minus 3D), if that's an option. I personally use VGA from my PC since my HDMI video card was getting too hot for the tiny, not so well ventilated, case I have.

The thing with keeping the blu-ray player is that on one hand, if I can set up streaming from the PC, and I am already ripping blu-rays to the PC, then I can see it getting very little usage in the living room, I would much rather move the blu-ray to the bedroom where it will be used much more. I have another HDMI input free on my TV, but also have a VGA input, and at this point I am not worried about 3D, so have both options available to me. Both optical inputs on my receiver are in use, but if I can use digital coax then that should take care of that piece.

I need to look into the TV piece some more, I have DirecTV, and while I would ditch it in a heartbeat (I cannot stand spending $95 a month on something so poor) my wife will need some convincing. If I can somehow incorporate it into the PC, and ditch the actual DirecTV box, great. I know a little about TV tuners, but am not sure if they are compatible with DirecTV (been several years since I have used a TV tuner card).

For now I will research the TV some more, and also start putting together a shopping list of PC components.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The thing with keeping the blu-ray player is that on one hand, if I can set up streaming from the PC, and I am already ripping blu-rays to the PC, then I can see it getting very little usage in the living room, I would much rather move the blu-ray to the bedroom where it will be used much more.
A second streaming blu-ray player is only $40-$50 or so on amazon (open box). PC's really, really suck at streaming. Netflix in WMC and IE maxes out at 720p in Win 7. If you use Win 8/8.1 you get 1080p Netflix in IE 11 or the Metro app, but those are nearly impossible to control with a remote. Other streaming apps like Hulu and Amazon are even worse. PQ is terrible IMO, and they can only be fully controlled by a keyboard/mouse. So you may be frustrated and disappointed with PC streaming as I was. In my house, if it can't be controlled by a remote, WAF goes to zero.

Others may disagree, but IMO, a second streaming BD player isn't expensive compared to your overall HTPC costs and makes a world of difference in picture quality and ease of use. Since you don't really need disc playback, another cheap option would be a Chromecast at $35, but it requires a smart phone to control it. Works very well though, and PQ is top notch.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In my house, if it can't be controlled by a remote, WAF goes to zero.

This is a very good point. I need to make sure that everything is really simple to use.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I am in the process of planning an HTPC, and while I have read plenty (and have plenty more to read) I have a couple, of what I am sure, are fairly basic questions. I had originally planned to put the PC in the basement, and then use my Xbox in the living room to stream off the PC.

However, I read something yesterday about connecting the PC to the receiver via HDMI. My current receiver does not have HDMI, so sometimes I forget how handy it will be to have HDMI. I plan on picking up a new receiver soon. Am I right in that if I connect the HTPC to the receiver directly, that I can skip having the Xbox (or any other device) from streaming media, and instead route it directly through the receiver to the TV? I then use one of the front ends available, combined with a remote to access and play the content on the PC?

Something you have not mentioned is who your service provider would be and what level of service you have with them. This can factor into design recommendations. Also what you intend to use as a tuner can be important in selecting dvr software. If you know these then a more specific recommendation would be possible. Since I do not hang here much I will preface that my response is directed to Cable service and using WMC W7. I would very much be using the xbox upstairs [because I do with my htpc downstairs]. Simple and reliable and if both TV's are playing the same channel then only one tuner is in use.

My sony receiver is an older version as well [no hdmi] but it has spdif and so did my TV so I feed hdmi to the TV and sound from the TV to the receiver. This can be important option especially for copyonce protected cable streams [not all service providers restrict recording the same way] but because it exists at all the tuner must comply with cablelabs criteria for a cablecard. This creates an active proof routine that is always running. Some have had issues maintaining this approval when using a receiver then the TV and use a Geffin Box to maintain the DRM [digital rights management] system. I would think that newer receivers would deal with this better as many updated software to handle these things better.
Quote:

That's all really, now to go spend some more time reading about PC builds.

Thanks.
If your looking for quiet get a fanless power supply [Kingwin 500], though I hardly push this unit it has extremely low heat high efficiency conversion of energy. I struggled for years trying to make power supplies quieter with replacement fans and finally just slammed them in a cabinet to muffle the sound. Also use a fanless video card if you add one over using a gpu That leaves case fans and processor. I found the cpu fan that came with my i5-3570K is extremely quiet and did not use a nactua I had intended to use. I have a Silverstone case with their fans [3] that only if everything else in the room is off I can just barely tell is on . When I first built it I was constantly looking at the on LED just to reassure myself it was actually on.

My Cyber power UPS makes more noise and may get moved back behind the media cabinet again because of it but going into winter this year I would like to see when it kicks in [well over 50 incidents now since Jan 1st]. Most of the power fluctuations are short duration and cause the lights to flicker and a few unprotected devices turn off; the UPS kicks in on all drops and spikes to provide smooth power. I think most people who live in my neighborhood [developed in the 60's] would say that the power system here is fairly reliable and only is affected maybe one or two days a year in a bad storm. Like once in an ice storm [happens about every 10 years] that put rural areas in my state out for more than a week I had about a 20 hours of outages over 48hr period. I can only imagine how many issues these power drops caused me in the past.

I use a HDHomerun Prime with CC, it, a switch, the htpc, sony receiver, and Samsung 52" non led LCD on the UPS and nothing flickers and will run for 12 - 15 minutes without outside power.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimediashtick View Post

Something you have not mentioned is who your service provider would be and what level of service you have with them. This can factor into design recommendations. Also what you intend to use as a tuner can be important in selecting dvr software. If you know these then a more specific recommendation would be possible. Since I do not hang here much I will preface that my response is directed to Cable service and using WMC W7. I would very much be using the xbox upstairs [because I do with my htpc downstairs]. Simple and reliable and if both TV's are playing the same channel then only one tuner is in use.

At the moment I have DirecTV, as cable terminates about 600' from my house. However, I have been told that it is on the budget to extend cable further down the street sometime next year, I have nothing tying me to DirecTV, so depending on the service the cable company offer may well switch to them. At the moment my ISP is CenturyLink, and the only option available to me is 1.5MB DSL. They are in the process of upgrading copper to fiber, so I am hoping this opens up my options somewhat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimediashtick View Post

If your looking for quiet get a fanless power supply [Kingwin 500], though I hardly push this unit it has extremely low heat high efficiency conversion of energy. I struggled for years trying to make power supplies quieter with replacement fans and finally just slammed them in a cabinet to muffle the sound. Also use a fanless video card if you add one over using a gpu That leaves case fans and processor. I found the cpu fan that came with my i5-3570K is extremely quiet and did not use a nactua I had intended to use. I have a Silverstone case with their fans [3] that only if everything else in the room is off I can just barely tell is on . When I first built it I was constantly looking at the on LED just to reassure myself it was actually on.

Thanks for this info, I am looking at a Silverstone case at the moment, and one of the Corsair power supplies.

One thing that came to mind yesterday, I currently have an older Dell PowerEdge 830 sitting in the basement. It's short on RAM and storage, but assuming I could upgrade both of those, would this be a pretty decent option for a media server? I am leaning towards my original plan of an HTPC in the front room still, but wondered if it would be worth utilizing this. My main concern is that it would be on a wireless repeater bridge from the basement. (Server hardwired to router in the basement, HTPC hardwired to router in the front room, both with gigabit cards).
post #16 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
One thing that came to mind yesterday, I currently have an older Dell PowerEdge 830 sitting in the basement. It's short on RAM and storage, but assuming I could upgrade both of those, would this be a pretty decent option for a media server? I am leaning towards my original plan of an HTPC in the front room still, but wondered if it would be worth utilizing this. My main concern is that it would be on a wireless repeater bridge from the basement. (Server hardwired to router in the basement, HTPC hardwired to router in the front room, both with gigabit cards).
Took a look at it, stock item had three processor options. While a dual core is recommended the high speed singles could work [have a pentium 2.8GHz single that works fine for three tuners], 4 GB ram is what MS recommends for OCUR tuners. The biggest stumbling block is the 2003 server software and any crapware dell added, Linux would be usable with MythTV but TWC you would not be able to view anything but basic level channels. Best option is W7 as it is the most complete software solution, a fresh install would be best. An oem copy of W7 SP1 home version can be found for around $80 or less on sale .

Overall it is best to stay away from wireless if possible. Where needed a very strong signal and using 5 GHz band on a dual band is recommend simply because it is less used in the wireless world and thus less likely to be interfered with by other signals [but has shorter range]. Regardless wireless will have packet loss and some pixing will occur, to what extent can not be predicted, many use it all the time. Typically the easiest least expensive option is BPL network adaptors to use the house powerlines to create a hardwired link. The needed spec on these is HomePlug AV certified with a 200mbps minimum speed; Actiontec, TP-Link and Trendnet seem to be good brands and I have used the actiontec for years. Brands seem to talk with each other too using Homeplug standard - have used ZyXEL 500 mbps model with actiontec 200 model [just wish the ZyXel would play nice with its mate - upnp issues, it's the last thing you want with a OCUR tuner]. The best way to achieve this is with a MoCA network adaptor but the cost goes up by twice over a bpl but it is a much better transport method in terms of actual speed with no downside, you may need to replace cable splitters from 5-1000 to 5- 1200 MHz [bpl's do not work through a surge protector and while internal parts are protected I have fried ports on other devices due to power spikes]. The rating of speed on these devices [particularly bpl's] are thought by many to be deceiving. The 200mbps rating for a bpl is the theoretical speed bi-directional, in reality it ranges from 40 to 80 one way depending on distance generally. MoCA devices are much more likely to actually deliver the rated speed but at twice the price for their base standard and more for the 2.0 models. Both are dependant on quality of connections of the wire.

As you probably know Satellite systems are proprietary so an OCUR tuner is worthless. If it was marketed by Centurylink it is hard to tell when they would switch from selling this to their proprietary IPTV system [maybe contractual issue]. Own the stock and their rollout of this product has been painfully slow and it also will not work with OCUR tuners. I want it in the market place to create a viable competitor to cable systems to keep prices in check.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page