Dish Network and TV Tuner help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I have this tuner: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP-5188-7111-Desktop-Video-TV-Tuner-Refurbished/3963962/product.html

We have Dish Network, the receiver is downstairs, but we can watch two different channels on two different TVs. The other TV is upstairs without a receiver (just plugged into the coax).

I'm trying to setup this tuner to work on TV2 (basically get the same signal as TV2), but no matter what I do, I can't get it to work. I have tried plugging the coax into TV in and ANT in, to no avail. I've tried all options under WMC and WinTV program, and still no luck. I know this will work because the TV guy set it up in the past. We still had to use the Dish remote to change the channels, but the channels were displaying on the monitor, which is what I want.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Have you tried tuning the card to the same channel that your upstairs TV is on? The way the Dish Network box works for TV 2 is that it broadcasts over a particular cable channel (e.g. channel 68). Use your computer to tune the card to that channel and leave it there. Use the DN remote to change channels.
syriangasol likes this.

post #3 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Assuming that your dish receiver outputs ATSC signal and not NTSC, then you would tune the HP tuner to the same channel as Dish output, and then use IR blasters to control the dish receiver when you change channels.

Forget about HD, you will only be able to get SD this way.

Without the information about the dish receiver output, it is the best that someone can guess you can do.
syriangasol likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I actually did, multiple times. Our channel is 73. I just checked our model and it's the VIP722k DVR. I would look from the behind and take a picture, but the receiver is very hard to turn around.

Given that info, should I plug the coax into the TV or ANT input of the tuner card? Also, should I select antenna or satellite when configuring through WMC? I don't have IR blasters, so I will have to work this through the upstairs remote.

Here is a picture of my setup (my finger is pointing to the coax input in the wall).

post #5 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Told you these guys would be able to help you smile.gif
syriangasol likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac11 View Post

Told you these guys would be able to help you smile.gif

Haha, right you were 8) Just hope we can figure it out.

post #7 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by syriangasol View Post

I actually did, multiple times. Our channel is 73. I just checked our model and it's the VIP722k DVR. I would look from the behind and take a picture, but the receiver is very hard to turn around.

Given that info, should I plug the coax into the TV or ANT input of the tuner card? Also, should I select antenna or satellite when configuring through WMC? I don't have IR blasters, so I will have to work this through the upstairs remote.

Here is a picture of my setup (my finger is pointing to the coax input in the wall).
TV IN looks correct to me (analog NTSC). Doesn't matter what you pick in WMC because you're only getting one analog channel and no guide data anyway. But if you want to just look at the guide in WMC for whatever reason, you can pick satellite. Just make sure 73 is there, assigned to analog channel 73, and is the only channel you ever attempt to record from (no reason to ever do that).

A far better solution for watching Dish on your computer would be to get a Hopper with sling. Then you need no tuner card, no cables, no remote, no WMC, and can access any channel or recording from anywhere in the world in full HD, independent of what anyone else is watching, leaving TV2 untouched.
syriangasol likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

TV IN looks correct to me (analog NTSC). Doesn't matter what you pick in WMC because you're only getting one analog channel and no guide data anyway. But if you want to just look at the guide in WMC for whatever reason, you can pick satellite. Just make sure 73 is there, assigned to analog channel 73, and is the only channel you ever attempt to record from (no reason to ever do that).

A far better solution for watching Dish on your computer would be to get a Hopper with sling. Then you need no tuner card, no cables, no remote, no WMC, and can access any channel or recording from anywhere in the world in full HD, independent of what anyone else is watching, leaving TV2 untouched.

I tried both TV and ANT in several times to no avail. I press 73 on the computer, but it doesn't work. Sometimes I get the static channels and other times I get the no signal channel from WMC (depends on how I set it up).

I would love that, however I don't have an ethernet outlet near my Dish. I don't want to set up a bridge or anything via wireless--always prefer wired. I was considering a Slingbox for a while (the pro or 500), but I'd have to run a cable to the kitchen through the walls, which I don't know is feasible.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
post #10 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. I actually had these and hated them. Decided I wouldn't use pluglinks after that heh.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

I tried both TV and ANT in several times to no avail. I press 73 on the computer, but it doesn't work. Sometimes I get the static channels and other times I get the no signal channel from WMC (depends on how I set it up).
You probably need to do an analog channel scan on your card first.

How is TV2 connected? I assume you have a splitter coming out of your 722 going to a second TV which currently works on channel 73 and to your PC, right?

It's also possible the analog tuner card doesn't pick up anything above channel 69. You could go into the 722 setup and change TV2 to a lower channel and try again.

Can you plug in a TV next to your computer temporarily just to make sure channel 73 still comes in, just to rule out a cable issue?
post #12 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Quote:

You probably need to do an analog channel scan on your card first.

How is TV2 connected? I assume you have a splitter coming out of your 722 going to a second TV which currently works on channel 73 and to your PC, right?

It's also possible the analog tuner card doesn't picking up anything above channel 69. You could go into the 722 setup and change TV2 to a lower channel and try again.

Can you plug in a TV next to your computer temporarily just to make sure channel 73 still comes in, just to rule out a cable issue?

Pretty sure you're right. We have one TV downstairs (main one connected to the 722). We then have two other tvs, one in the garage and the other upstairs. Those both have identical channels. If you flip the channel on one, it flips on the other.

I'm pretty sure it does pick up 73 because it did work once. I should plug the TV into the coax that I'm trying to connect my computer to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4
Reply Home Theater Computers