Harmony Power On no longer works on Media Center PCs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a few Logitech Harmony remotes in my house. They used to work fine: when choosing an activity that requires the HTPC (media center PC), it would turn it on, and then sleep it when hitting the all off button on the Harmony.

Well, when I decided to use the newer Media Center PC SE option on the Logitech Harmony software, it no longer works. Power off/toggle can sleep/standy the HTPC, but power on DOES NOT WORK.

The problem is with the remote, as another wireless usb device (logitech multimedia keyboard that looks like a spatula) works with it. All of the power settings are correct: S3 in BIOS, power on by USB enabled, and also enabled in the Windows device manager.

The IR receiver has a red led inside that lights up when it senses a signal. That lights up when I try to turn the HTPC on, but it won't turn it on. I tried different USB ports also, no go. Why would TWO DIFFERENT HTPCs with two different remotes do the same thing? My answer... Logitech screwed something up on their new "Media Center SE" option. The power on signal must be wrong or something.

Any ideas, other than obvious ones? I'm an IT admin, so I have a decent amount of knowledge... but I've already spent over an hour to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Mine still works. Are you sure you have disabled hibernate in Windows?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Mine still works. Are you sure you have disabled hibernate in Windows?
Yes, certain. I turn off hibernation on every single one of my machines since I use SSDs (just a personal preference).
The computer is SLEEPING. Like I said, everything was fine until I upgraded to the "SE" Media Center PC option on the Harmony. I used to use the original Media Center PC option... =/
post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
then change the button settings in the harmony app
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
I have taken to using Live or Media Center buttons to open WMC, I always found power toggle to be more reliable than On. [harmony 650] Probably my biggest issue is just figuring out that the batteries are too low for multiple transmissions at a focused time which leads me to push it more. Though I see the transmission being seen by the receiver it may not be enough to really make it happen. The low battery notice rarely comes fast enough IMO as my battery tester shows that they tend to have more issue below 40% capacity but the battery notice seems to need it to be about 10% before I get a notice.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

So the solution to getting the PC on is by using the "Windows Media Center" device option. That's the only way the remote will WAKE the PC with the IR receiver.

So now I have to add that AND the "Windows Media Center SE" device. It's getting a bit tricky... too bad I can't decide SPECIFICALLY which devices I want on and off in an activity. If I choose a device in an activity, it's automatically considered on also...
post #7 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm surprised no one else on the web figured out that the "SE" Windows Media Center option on the Harmony is the culprit of WAKE issues with the IR USB receivers. I'm not the only one with the WAKE issue, but the non-SE does indeed work. The unfortunate part is the SE one has MANY MORE useful options, such as WINDOWS+KEY combos, ALT+KEY combos, etc.

So... I'm using BOTH devices for all activities. It gets tricky, but I think I'm able to manage it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page