Need help with new HTPC design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for some advice. My current HTPC is reaching EOL it is 8 years old and it pretty tired. I currently have it hooked to my 1080p 60" tv via dvi to hdmi wire. The HDMI out on my video card travels across the room to my 22" monitor that allows web browsing ect. I also use the 22" for my PS4.

I have my 360 hooked up to the big tv so the wife can watch Netflix. Question being when I start this new pc build should the set up stay as is, or should the pc move to the monitor side of the room and somehow stream my media to the tv via the Xbox 360 or some other type of hardware? I am considering doing some gaming on this pc such as TitanFall, so that should also come into the consideration. The two monitors are about 15" apart on the same wall, and all wires run down through the floor and back up in the other corner. My current pc has 3 hdd totaling 2tb so I will have to have that much space or more.

I know that I am rambling, but it is kind of hard to explain my situation by typing it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lag Compensation got you down? http://newbieofduty.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

You can keep the same setup.

But I would go the other way with the wiring. I would keep the HDMI for the TV in case you are planning to get a receiver in the future and thus benefit from the HDMI audio bitstreaming, and I would get an adaptor to change either the displayport or dvi to hdmi to use your existing hdmi connection to your computer screen.

Personnaly, I would forget about the media extender (xbox360 or other). They're more of a pain than anything else. They only make sense if you have more than one TV that you want to watch your media on. I've used the PS3 as an extender and it doesn't compare to an HTPC.

My present HTPC is a Dell XPS8500SE that I bought for this. I have the PC at the other end of the room with my disk array. I run a 15' HDMI to the Receiver. The TV is hooked to the receiver. My video card is an AMD7870. I have two monitor also hooked up to it via displayport and dvi. Works perfectly. I use a media center remote.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmania2002 View Post

Looking for some advice. My current HTPC is reaching EOL it is 8 years old and it pretty tired. I currently have it hooked to my 1080p 60" tv via dvi to hdmi wire. The HDMI out on my video card travels across the room to my 22" monitor that allows web browsing ect. I also use the 22" for my PS4.

I have my 360 hooked up to the big tv so the wife can watch Netflix. Question being when I start this new pc build should the set up stay as is, or should the pc move to the monitor side of the room and somehow stream my media to the tv via the Xbox 360 or some other type of hardware? I am considering doing some gaming on this pc such as TitanFall, so that should also come into the consideration. The two monitors are about 15" apart on the same wall, and all wires run down through the floor and back up in the other corner. My current pc has 3 hdd totaling 2tb so I will have to have that much space or more.

I know that I am rambling, but it is kind of hard to explain my situation by typing it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Let's go BUFFALO!

I would re-do the existing set up without much money.

Depending on the hardware you have, your definition of EOL may not be truly EOL.

Move the PC to your desk where your monitor is. Keep the XBOX at the TV. Network the 2.

Run WMC on the PC in the background, and use XBOX as extender for the WMC to view cable/FiOS and netflix.

You can connect up to 5 XBOXes to your PCat the same time, if it meets the hardware requirements.

By the way, Netflix on PC/WMC does not require Live GOLD, while it does on the XBOX.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page