Good Tablet for Mediabrowser / PLEX etc... viewing around house, kids, myself, sometimes headphones etc... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
My buddy buys and sells idevices (ipads etc) for a living and owns a company that repairs laptops, smartphones, tablets etc..

I was considering buying an ipad 3 used from him 64GB ($350) but not sure if that's good ? Or smart ?

I really just want something I can web surf with, and watch movies and recorded TV shows from my WHS2011 based media server.

I know Mediabrowser has both android and iOS aps, as does PLEX so that might be the two best options ??? IDK ?? Seems like since wife is Pregnant she's less tolerant of the Denon 3312 AVR and dual subs late at night so I have been watching on my iphone with headphones sometimes and surprised it's nearly acceptable. Thinking a bigger screen would be better though...

Ideas?

What is cheap way to do this ? Literally will only be used for watching or surfing the web inside the home. I already have enough cell phones, laptops and PC's to sink a ship... Trying not to spend too much without making a mistake. Seems like every time I grab a "cheap" option I regret it later not going all in. But I am hoping this is an area where a cheap something will be ok ??

Any better options to do what I want other than a $350 ipad ? Looking for value. I do appreciate faster CPU's, or higher resolution displays but in the end something near 720p and bigger than my cell phone is probably fine.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 200
The 64Gb Ipad for that price isn't bad at all, I'm looking into Asus Nexus 7, or a Kindle Fire HDX for my 3 yr old daughter, also the Samsung Galaxy 10" is pretty amazing as well, and you can always expand the memory on the Samsung which is pretty cool in my book.

Good luck

Djoel
post #3 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cheapest option would be to get the wife a good pair of earplugs while you watch your movies properly biggrin.gif j/k

The Google Nexus 10 is a nice Android tablet with great specs, you should be able to pick a used one up at a decent price( < $300)
bulls likes this.
post #4 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I need to educate myself with the difference between Nexus and Galaxy and difference between something like a Kindle vs Android vs Apple etc... I am really clueless. I guess I just don't care much - if it goes on the internet and plays a movie with decent quality I am happy.

So that said- is there something I am not seeing ? I'm not noob at electronics but I am just lazy and don't want to invest a serious amount of time into research and learning because I do not seem to care much. Is that wrong ? I am apathetic and numb. I once would care greatly about such things... must be getting older. I remember arguing over the PQ of RPTV here on AVS (check my join date) and today basically a TV is a TV. I'd only bother calibrating a quality projector in my main view theater- the rest of the time I don't feel like it matters much.

This is one of those things that won't be too critical. I'm still a HTPC and PC guy at heart. I don't need much out of it but lightweight portability.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
my toddler grew up with both... but really, for a toddler, there's nicer apps on ipad . And grownups as well, apps seem better on idevices... Only time i use the android tablet is when accessing files pdf/jpg on the network
Djoel likes this.
post #6 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

my toddler grew up with both... but really, for a toddler, there's nicer apps on ipad . And grownups as well, apps seem better on idevices... Only time i use the android tablet is when accessing files pdf/jpg on the network

Well my twins are still baking in the oven. She's due May 30th... so by the time the kids actually would understand or use it I am not opposed to having upgraded by then. These things have a limited life expectancy, and I don't expect much long term from this purchase.

-

post #7 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

I agree, Ipad is where is at, my 3 yr has interactive Charlie Brown books, Elmo, Zoo animals aps, a little silly learning games that she seem to love..Mind you it's her moms ipad, but she made it her own..I have an android cell, and there isn't much on my cell I can entertaining her with, I'm probably not looking well enough, a it's my phone wink.gif

Djoel
post #8 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Alright you guys are selling me on the ipad. Mini or full size ?

-

post #9 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 23
You know since you're a PC guy why aren't you looking at Win8 tablets? I know everybody drools over the huge selection of fart apps in the Apple store, but why limit yourself to only using apps? My suggestion would be to expand your search and include a tablet 8-10" with Win 8.1 and a decent screen.
post #10 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Mini or full size ?

Full size, especially if you are watching video, you want as big as you can get IMO.
bulls likes this.
post #11 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would go with the full size Ipad3 64gb, you can't beat that price at least I don't think so. I have an ipad 2 32 gb which would go for the price you're getting your version 3, and it's great and still upgraded to the newest OSi7 something? from what I understand.

Dan
post #12 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

You know since you're a PC guy why aren't you looking at Win8 tablets? I know everybody drools over the huge selection of fart apps in the Apple store, but why limit yourself to only using apps? My suggestion would be to expand your search and include a tablet 8-10" with Win 8.1 and a decent screen.

$$$$

-

post #13 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
we love our nexus 7s. we stream mediabrowser and everything just fine on them.
post #14 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

I guess I need to educate myself with the difference between Nexus and Galaxy and difference between something like a Kindle vs Android vs Apple etc... I am really clueless. I guess I just don't care much - if it goes on the internet and plays a movie with decent quality I am happy.

Nexus = pure Android as Google intended
Galaxy = Android with TouchWiz shoehorned in by Samsung. Think of it as a custom UI with Samsung branded bloatware. At least it is similar to Android in most areas.
Kindle = Android buried under Amazon's UI. Android and Kindle will have a very different look, even though under the hood they run on the same OS
Apple = Walled garden without much ability to customize the UI other than to move icons around.

(I'd get the Nexus, will be getting a Nexus 7 as a gift for my daughter and probably the new Nexus 10 for myself if it is released by then.)

post #15 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:

$$$$

So $350 for a used iPad3 is acceptable but $350 for a full fledged computer in tablet form is not?
post #16 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So $350 for a used iPad3 is acceptable but $350 for a full fledged computer in tablet form is not?

Link to a Surface Tablet (not RT) for $350 please.

post #17 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM

How about these listed below or is Surface the only Win8 tablet choice?

Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB Tablet

Lenovo IdeaTab Miix 8 8-Inch 64 GB Tablet

Lenovo IdeaTab K3 Lynx 11.6-Inch 64 GB Tablet

ASUS Vivotab Smart 10.1-Inch 64GB Tablet

This is only what I was able to find in a 5 minute search of amazon and there is a new batch coming for the holidays.
post #18 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is only what I was able to find in a 5 minute search of amazon and there is a new batch coming for the holidays.

Sorry, I was only thinking of the Surface tablets.

post #19 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Nexus = pure Android as Google intended
Galaxy = Android with TouchWiz shoehorned in by Samsung. Think of it as a custom UI with Samsung branded bloatware. At least it is similar to Android in most areas.
Kindle = Android buried under Amazon's UI. Android and Kindle will have a very different look, even though under the hood they run on the same OS
Apple = Walled garden without much ability to customize the UI other than to move icons around.

(I'd get the Nexus, will be getting a Nexus 7 as a gift for my daughter and probably the new Nexus 10 for myself if it is released by then.)

Pretty much spot on, one thing to point out though is that the Kindles don't have access to the Google Play store for apps, but you can side-load most apps so long as you can back them up. Apps like Google Drive and Google play wont work on the Kindles.

I have a Kindle Fire HD 7" and the Mrs. has an iPad Gen 2. They're both great with Plex. 7" Kindle is obviously more portable and the iPad 3 will have some hefty weight to it, close to an original iPad in weight. All your options offer great screen resolution but for almost the same price you can buy a brand new Kindle fire 8.9" ($379) with all the latest bells and whistles. I'd try to hold out for the new Nexus 10 as well if you can but there's no real ETA on that.

Congrats are in order to you and the Mrs. Wow twins....Best to you and yours.

It's funny how you said by the time they're old enough to understand how to use such devices; a family friend gave their child an old iphone to play with so he wouldn't keep wanting their newer phones. Well this kid was pretty much an expert in touch, tap, swipe and whatever else needed to be done before the age of 1, so it won't be long before you have to give up your devices to the kiddies biggrin.gif
post #20 of 125 Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like the Dell where it's at.that might be my new tablet smile.gif

DJoel
post #21 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm going to go check out the iPad 3 64gb my buddy has used. It's $380 mint condition with case.

If I don't like I'll keep looking. He just bought it from Craigslist it was basically new in box, someone won it.

Seems fair and I can't see to get what it offers under $400. My budget is under $400... Lol

I might pass and keep looking though.

-

post #22 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

My wife and I very much prefer the iPad Mini. The smaller size makes it really easy to hold with one hand plus it's quite a bit more portable (if you ever plan on taking it with you). It's also a lot nicer to hold while laying in bed. My wife had an iPad 2 and I eventually got an iPad Mini. She wound up giving her iPad away to her father and replacing it with her own iPad Mini. It's her main computer and does everything with it, including watch a lot of TV shows.

The new iPad Air makes up for some of that since it's a lot lighter but I'd still take a mini because it's easier to hold in just one hand.
post #23 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Looks like the Dell where it's at.that might be my new tablet smile.gif

DJoel

Surprising where the pricing for these PC/Tablets are at, very tempting.
Quote:

I'm going to go check out the iPad 3 64gb my buddy has used. It's $380 mint condition with case.

If I don't like I'll keep looking. He just bought it from Craigslist it was basically new in box, someone won it.

Seems fair and I can't see to get what it offers under $400. My budget is under $400... Lol

I might pass and keep looking though.
Seems like a good deal for the money.

Seems like a good deal for the money. You'll likely be hooked once you start playing with it wink.gif
post #24 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
I know everybody drools over the huge selection of fart apps in the Apple store, but why limit yourself to only using apps? My suggestion would be to expand your search and include a tablet 8-10" with Win 8.1 and a decent screen.So good.lh8uQf
post #25 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 10
I have an Ipad3 and a motorolla xoom and i dont use the pad as much, i use the xoom as it is more flexible, i have a few micro sd cards that i copy movies from my media server and use an app called " movie gallery" to organize them and thats for whenever i travel and i use medibrowser for around the house. I find the ipad too restrictive as you have to do everthing thru itunes
post #26 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbrower View Post

I know everybody drools over the huge selection of fart apps in the Apple store, but why limit yourself to only using apps? My suggestion would be to expand your search and include a tablet 8-10" with Win 8.1 and a decent screen.So good.lh8uQf

My experience is actually opposite. I find there is less apps for the iphones and ipads because apple has a much more rigorous and stricter approval for applications to make it into the itunes store, where in contrast Google seems less selective. I find there is actually a lot more crappy applications for google, you really only need a core set of "good" apps for either platform. Having all that crap is not needed.

I don't think people choose apple because it's "fart apps" - rather because they are willing to pay more for a recognized level of quality and experience. Apple never makes crappy products, if anything they make above average products and charge above average prices. This might make them a poor value in some cases but often knowing what you are getting is worth the premium. By contrast I always find with cell phones and the limited experience I have with tablets that the google stuff is either good or bad... but it's usually all over the place and dependent upon the hard ware mfg. It's probably riskier in some ways.. even if cheaper.

It's funny I say this because traditionally I am not an apply guy at all , and I shutter to think of the stereotypical apple idiot with hipster accessories sipping starbucks. But I do think they make a decent tablet and phone, if you don't mind their "locked" OS. (which can be jailbroken anyways )

-

post #27 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Nexus 7 is best you can get IMO

Full size tablets weigh too much for my geeky arms smile.gif They aren't really that heavy, but I prefer 7" for easier one-handed grip and lighter weight. I also like to hold the tablet above my head while lying flat out of some weird preference

New nexus 7 supports wireless charging (Qi standard) which I also find to be pure win

ES File Explorer on android is great for server and general htpc config/tinkering/browsing. You can browse/manipulate/copy/paste across your network to/from any Android tablet with play store access. Not sure if that's possible with Apple? Haven't really looked

Also, it's less than $200 biggrin.gifhttp://slickdeals.net/f/6463126-google-nexus-7-2nd-gen-16gb-android-fhd-7-tablet-190-at-ebay

Or if yearning for full size and cool with refurbished, you can get the Nexus 10 for $285 http://slickdeals.net/f/6464732-woot-nexus-10-32gb-refurbished-285-shipped
post #28 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Full size tablets weigh too much for my geeky arms smile.gif They aren't really that heavy, but I prefer 7" for easier one-handed grip and lighter weight. I also like to hold the tablet above my head while lying flat out of some weird preference

New nexus 7 supports wireless charging (Qi standard) which I also find to be pure win

ES File Explorer on android is great for server and general htpc config/tinkering/browsing. You can browse/manipulate/copy/paste across your network to/from any Android tablet with play store access. Not sure if that's possible with Apple? Haven't really looked

Also, it's less than $200 biggrin.gifhttp://slickdeals.net/f/6463126-google-nexus-7-2nd-gen-16gb-android-fhd-7-tablet-190-at-ebay

Or if yearning for full size and cool with refurbished, you can get the Nexus 10 for $285 http://slickdeals.net/f/6464732-woot-nexus-10-32gb-refurbished-285-shipped

I just got this Nexus 7 deal yesterday that you posted. However, after buying it through the Best Buy eBay link I realized that for $10 you get $25 Play credit going through Bestbuy.com or directly in the store. I arrived to pick it up, returned it on the spot, and purchased it again. $200 + $25 Play credit.

post #29 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Special thanks for a high quality post as always.

-

post #30 of 125 Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I love my Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 (1st gen). I don't really use my Nexus 7 anymore since I got the Nexus 10 though. I use it mainly for watching my Plex content, YouTube, Netflix and playing NFS:MW. My girlfriends also has a Galaxy Note 10.1 and she loves it. I wouldn't get any large tablet that didn't have front facing speakers. The Note 10.1 and Nexus 10 media experience is so much better than any other tablet because of their large front facing speakers. Such a shame Samsung stopped using those.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page