operating system backup HDD for when the orginale breaks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I would like to have a operating system backup HDD for when the orginale breaks.

I was planning to clone the orginale OS HDD w/ this I link to then keep the orginale and use the spare as the primary OS HDD.

The reason I want to clone is because I don't have a window7 restore operating sys CD. and this PC dos'nt have access to the internet.

I’m confussed where to buy a Win7 home OS CD the folks at Acer (he manufactor of my PC) told me that there CD $19. would have all the correct drivers and that
The MSN stores CD $15. would not have all the drivers.
I do have the key code for my laptop and this PC.

What do you Guy's think about the HDD I link to?

How doe's my plan sound to you PC experts yes I know it's a refurb. w/ a 90 day warrenty but if it works for 90 days it should last, the brand new ones are warrentied for 5 years.

most important can a Dell OEM HDD be used in a Acer PC w/ a intel Mobo.?
Or can this HDD only be used in a Dell?

Lastly what is smart I read some of the reviews where SMART was saying these refurbs had 3 years of use on them?
Thanks Guy's STB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-136-828&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5509625&SID=skim21873X801430X21617156e164fb88415844eabfe6791b

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 54
No need for a CD: you can DL Windows free from MS and use your existing key. Only advantage to buying a manufacturer CD is if it has all drivers etc. But you don't know if they're current so probably no advantage to just doing it all manually.

You can also back up your C drive once you have it the way you want with some free drive imaging programs. Here's an example how to
post #3 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I use Acronis True Image Home to make incremental images of my system every couple weeks. It works really good. I have restored several time without any problems.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM

Liked: 15
I always have the installation dvd for every pc I have ever owned and suggest everyone have it handy just in case, I prefer the dvd from Microsoft to avoid bloatware that most all manufactures load to an os dvd, then download all needed drivers for it and store them somewhere, if you have to pay to get it then do so, avoid fleabay if at all possible.

since windows vista all versions of windows above the 'home version' have the capability to create an os image to be stored on another hard drive in case of failure of some sort, after the Image process you are given the opportunity to create a bootable recovery dvd to be used to re-image the os even to a different hard drive, just remember you cant create an image of say a 500 gb hard drive then expect to use the recovery process and re-image to say a 100 gb hard drive as the partition information will be different, very few need an os hard drive over 120 gb anyway as it takes longer to image and recover, I keep all my important information and large data files on another hard drive any way.

windows built in imaging works very well, its native to windows and you are not tied to any other applications for the recovery process.

the laptop you linked to was built for windows xp, doesn't have a hard drive or a hard drive caddy and is really to old for vista or above os.

What is Smart ? ill link it instead of paste here.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1879485,00.asp
post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

No need for a CD: you can DL Windows free from MS and use your existing key. Only advantage to buying a manufacturer CD is if it has all drivers etc. But you don't know if they're current so probably no advantage to just doing it all manually.

You can also back up your C drive once you have it the way you want with some free drive imaging programs. Here's an example how to
Hello Mate can I use a different PC to download the backup copy of Win7
home premium from MSN.com then burn a CD then use the keycode on
both of my Win7 machines I have the key code for both PC’s?

I have a very slow internet connection it starts at 144Mbps then drops to 1Mpbs
However I have 5 bars of signal quality this is another reason I would like to
Clone current HDD BTW in PC terminologly is clone and image the same?

The imaging programs link is very interesting however I believe I’m using my
OS HDD just for OS and programs I think I have My Docs and other stuff on
Storage drives. This is another reason I want a spare (smaller faster) HDD so
I can reuse the current OS HDD which is 1TB as a storage drive then have a
OS HDD and another for a spare.

off topic what is Jessie Williams doing these days? I’m thinking
he’s a National Hero down under?

Two time national champion football player w/ Alabama Crimson Tide.

Bench pressing 600Lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

I always have the installation dvd for every pc I have ever owned and suggest everyone have it handy just in case, I prefer the dvd from Microsoft to avoid bloatware that most all manufactures load to an os dvd, then download all needed drivers for it and store them somewhere, if you have to pay to get it then do so, avoid fleabay if at all possible.

since windows vista all versions of windows above the 'home version' have the capability to create an os image to be stored on another hard drive in case of failure of some sort, after the Image process you are given the opportunity to create a bootable recovery dvd to be used to re-image the os even to a different hard drive, just remember you cant create an image of say a 500 gb hard drive then expect to use the recovery process and re-image to say a 100 gb hard drive as the partition information will be different, very few need an os hard drive over 120 gb anyway as it takes longer to image and recover, I keep all my important information and large data files on another hard drive any way.

windows built in imaging works very well, its native to windows and you are not tied to any other applications for the recovery process.

the laptop you linked to was built for windows xp, doesn't have a hard drive or a hard drive caddy and is really to old for vista or above os.

What is Smart ? ill link it instead of paste here.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1879485,00.asp
On my laptop (which is my most used PC) I have the OS HDD ridded of
bloatware and have the extra programs installed I then created a DVD backup
which took 5DVDs when I created a DVD backup for the HTPC (which
doesn’t have a lot of programs) only one DVD was required.

Still I don’t trust any OS DVD that I mayhave created or can I test
These OS backup DVDs like disconnect the current OS HDD
Install a new blank HDD and install W7 from the backup to the new
Blank HDD?

Thanks Guy’s for advice STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 15
a backup to dvd's is a backup, not a restore dvd or an image, a restore dvd that someone may create does not contain all the needed files for a clean installation, during the restore procedure windows looks for an os installation on a hard drive, if not there it will fail.

if internet is slow don't try to download the installation dvd, go online and purchase the replacement dvd from ms, try here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

Hello Mate can I use a different PC to download the backup copy of Win7
home premium from MSN.com then burn a CD then use the keycode on
both of my Win7 machines I have the key code for both PC’s?
You can D/L windows and use it to restore on any PC you have licence keys for. Make sure you D/L the correct version though.
Quote:

I have a very slow internet connection it starts at 144Mbps then drops to 1Mpbs
However I have 5 bars of signal quality this is another reason I would like to
Clone current HDD BTW in PC terminologly is clone and image the same?
An image is an exact copy of the drive contents including other stuff like the registry. You could also image to an external HDD
Quote:

off topic what is Jessie Williams doing these days? I’m thinking
he’s a National Hero down under?

Two time national champion football player w/ Alabama Crimson Tide.

Bench pressing 600Lbs.
I had to google to find out who you were talking about. Whilst I'm happy to see another Aussie do well in their chosen field, most Australians wouldn't even know who he was. Most of us too, think grid iron is a stupid sport.

Quote:

Still I don’t trust any OS DVD that I mayhave created or can I test
These OS backup DVDs like disconnect the current OS HDD
Install a new blank HDD and install W7 from the backup to the new
Blank HDD?
Back up all your data and other files that specific applications need (so you can restore them later) and reload Windows and reinstall any applications that you need, and leave off the extra crap that I know accumulates. No need to replace the drive unless it's old or has issues. An SSD would make it much snappier though.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page