Cheapest hardware to play video & sound on two TV's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm turning an extra computer I have into an HTPC. I want to be able to play two independent feeds (not mirrored) on two TV (audio & video). I was looking at getting an AMD Radio 5450, the $30 variety, but they only have vga and either dvi or hdmi. So I know if I want to go dual TV's with this route I do not know how to get sound from the VGA fed TV. Trying to understand what's the cheapest method to do what I want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
What are you going to play?

Have you considered running Windows Media Center (free in Windows 7) and an extender?

You can get a dedicated extender or XBOX360 to work as an extender.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Am I understanding correctly, that you want to play two different videos at the same time, one playing on monitor A, the other playing on monitor B, both originating from the same computer?

You "might" be able to accomplish this with the picture, but I'm not certain about the sound. I don't know how you would separate sound from two movies or videos playing at the same time. I don't even know if using an extender would do it. But I only use one extender. Maybe someone who has done this can answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Am I understanding correctly, that you want to play two different videos at the same time, one playing on monitor A, the other playing on monitor B, both originating from the same computer?

You "might" be able to accomplish this with the picture, but I'm not certain about the sound. I don't know how you would separate sound from two movies or videos playing at the same time. I don't even know if using an extender would do it. But I only use one extender. Maybe someone who has done this can answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7

With 5 extenders you can play 6 different streams/files/programs on 6 different screens each with its own dedicated sound. That's the beauty of the extender, they are independent, yet unified.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Do all those streams depend on the abilities of the host computer? In other words, for six extenders, would the host computer need to have a really fast cpu and a ton a ram?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page