New setup, jittery sound with external 5.1 sound card, HELP required please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi

I am new to the forum and new to the 5.1 world regarding HTPCs so forgive me in advance if I state slightly wrong details when explaining my problem.

I have a PC which I am going to use as a home theatre system only.  To date video has been played out to a LCD monitor through HDMI and sound via a 3.5mm stereo jack to a Samsung 5.1 sound system.

I have bought an external 5.1 sound card with the intention of playing 5.1 encoded movies in 5.1 through the audio system and any music (mp3 etc) in 2.0.  It is now connected to the Samsung system via optical toslink cable with the new sound card.

After installing drivers etc for the card, when trying to play back music the sound is jittery.  I can only describe it is as jittery every second or few seconds for a few frames duration only.  The same problem occurs when I play a 5.1 movie.  I am using Media Player Classic.

My friend who knows very little tells me that it may be my Samsung receiver as he thinks it can only receive 48khz signal and all my mp3s and mkvs etc are 44.1khz.  He has told me to do some reading up on WASAPI etc in an effort to understand what may be going on. (the receiver is also hooked up to a satelite service which TXs with 5.1 so I am imagining that this 5.1 Dolby is at 48khz.)

From this I have a spent literally a few days reading up on upsampling etc using Reclock and/or ffdshow in an attempt to try and get my audio output from the soundcard in 48khz.  I have been trying different settings with these programs and getting nowhere either resulting in more jittery inaudible audio or no audio at all with error messages.

So can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction as to whether I am using the right software for the job and if so how I should go about setting the software up?  Or am I looking in completely the wrong area to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 AM

What kind of external sound card are you using? I think that the TOSLINK output (PCM) is a standard and there should not be any issues with receiver which has this connection. You might look at the setup properties for you audio output (windows control panel) and you might need to adjust some settings.

On my HTPC I connect the HDMI output directly to my AV receiver and then let the receiver's DAC process the audio signal and then the video is output to the monitor/ HDTV. The HDMI connection should support more audio formats than the TOSLINK which is normally PCM. The surround sound will be a bit better with the HDMI signal.

Does you sound card have a digital COAX connection (rca style digital output)? If it does try that and see if the jitter disappears.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

It's a CMedia sound card, well known and used worldwide, apparently..

It does not have a coax output, I am restricted using the optical out.

The settings I can change in windows audio is very limited, definitely nothing in there that will fix the problem, have tried messing with everything and anything.

The surround system does not have a hdmi input, only output. Only inputs I have is optical, RCA stereo and 3.5mm jack.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcc87 View Post

Hi

I am new to the forum and new to the 5.1 world regarding HTPCs so forgive me in advance if I state slightly wrong details when explaining my problem.

I have a PC which I am going to use as a home theatre system only.  To date video has been played out to a LCD monitor through HDMI and sound via a 3.5mm stereo jack to a Samsung 5.1 sound system.

I have bought an external 5.1 sound card with the intention of playing 5.1 encoded movies in 5.1 through the audio system and any music (mp3 etc) in 2.0.  It is now connected to the Samsung system via optical toslink cable with the new sound card.

After installing drivers etc for the card, when trying to play back music the sound is jittery.  I can only describe it is as jittery every second or few seconds for a few frames duration only.  The same problem occurs when I play a 5.1 movie.  I am using Media Player Classic.

My friend who knows very little tells me that it may be my Samsung receiver as he thinks it can only receive 48khz signal and all my mp3s and mkvs etc are 44.1khz.  He has told me to do some reading up on WASAPI etc in an effort to understand what may be going on. (the receiver is also hooked up to a satelite service which TXs with 5.1 so I am imagining that this 5.1 Dolby is at 48khz.)

From this I have a spent literally a few days reading up on upsampling etc using Reclock and/or ffdshow in an attempt to try and get my audio output from the soundcard in 48khz.  I have been trying different settings with these programs and getting nowhere either resulting in more jittery inaudible audio or no audio at all with error messages.

So can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction as to whether I am using the right software for the job and if so how I should go about setting the software up?  Or am I looking in completely the wrong area to solve my problem?

The problem you are describing is not jitter, but is a lost data problem. The usual cause of this sort of thing is temporary overloads inside the PC. Upsampling only puts more wood on the fire.

The probable cause is garbage software that was previously installed on the machine. The best way to clean it up is to obtain an OEM version of Windows and do a clean install.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The problem you are describing is not jitter, but is a lost data problem. The usual cause of this sort of thing is temporary overloads inside the PC. Upsampling only puts more wood on the fire.

The probable cause is garbage software that was previously installed on the machine. The best way to clean it up is to obtain an OEM version of Windows and do a clean install.

Ok many thanks for your reply. So the thing is it has just had a clean install and installed this sound card. Bearing that in mind and what you have said is the problem what do you think Is causing the problem? Many thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Can I add that I have hooked this external USB sound card up to my laptop to test and I get the same jittery sound issue. If that makes a difference to any of you guys thinking.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

No one come across anything like this? Guessing there's something wrong with my equipment somewhere.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Make sure that your software is not set to output anything that you're receiver can't handle. Using toslink you should set it for DD only (no DTS etc...) troubleshoot with different speakers settings also try analog out and see if it makes a difference.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Make sure that your software is not set to output anything that you're receiver can't handle. Using toslink you should set it for DD only (no DTS etc...) troubleshoot with different speakers settings also try analog out and see if it makes a difference.

Ok thanks, what software do you recommend using for this? The stuff I currently use isn't doing the job, probably because I havnt set it up right but I don't see where I am going wrong if so, so would be good to use something other people like yourself use.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcc87 View Post

Ok thanks, what software do you recommend using for this? The stuff I currently use isn't doing the job, probably because I havnt set it up right but I don't see where I am going wrong if so, so would be good to use something other people like yourself use.
If you want to get away from MPC, there are many choices available to you. I use Xbmc with MB3 server, setup is pretty straight forward for both.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ok will give them 2 ago. Many thanks for the info!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page