post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Avermedia Duet TV tuner capable of PIP swap
I currently have a Hauppage 1600 PCI & Hauppage USB 950Q

I believe the USB TV tuner is malfunctioning.
I’ve been wanting a dual TV tuner module so I could record two channels simultaneously
(2 channels at same time).

Concidering the Avermedia Duet for it’s price compared to the Hauppage 2250
Plus who needs a FM antenna which comes w/ the Hauppage.

?1. can I actually swap picture in picture w/ this Aver duet? Like can I press one
Button to jump from main picture to the small sub. Picture? Doe’s
the Avermedia Duet come w/ a remote control that I can program my universal
remote w/?

TV is a Samsung PN58C500 the way I use PIP is the DVR is the main picture
The small picture is the TV’s tuner. I believe the DVR picture is not as clear
Since it’s a 480 DVR.

?2.can I mix the Hauppage 1600 PCI tuner w/ the Aver duet? Thus having 3 tuners?

?3.I’m confussed w/ PCI express and PCI regular how do I know the difference
Between the two and do MOBO usalley come w/ one PCI slot and one PCI express
Slot? Like if my intel H57 MOBO only has one PCI express slot I have to choose
Between the current Hauppage 1600 and the Aver duet? but not both?
Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The TV needs two separate feeds to produce a PIP image. Although the Duet has two tuners, your PC only has one output (even if your video card has multiple outputs, they generally all put out the same signal). You'd need a separate source to feed the TV for the 2nd input. If the TV has a built-in tuner and is connected to an antenna or digital cable with clear QAM channels you can use this as the 2nd input.

You should be able to mix and match different tuners with no problems, depending on the software you're using. Windows Media Center has no issues with tuners of different brands in the same PC.

PCI only comes in one size and is the older of the two technologies. PCI-express comes in X1, X4, X8, and X16 versions, which are easily identifiable by the length of the slot. The larger slots can accommodate smaller cards with no problem (e.g., you can use a X1 PCI-e card in a X16 slot). The number and type of slots on any given motherboard vary depending on the manufacturer's design. Some newer boards have only PCI-e slots only, but most boards have at least one PCI slot included. The total number of slots depends on the size of the motherboard. Mini-ITX boards are usually limited to a single X16 PCI-e slot. Micro-ATX boards can have up to four slots. Full-sized ATX boards can have up to seven slots, although I believe I may have seen one recently that had eight, but I may not have been looking through my bifocals correctly.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2013, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think my MOBO (intel H57 unknown manufactor) has 3 white PCI slots attached image there is also a long black slot is this also a PCI slot?

Two short one’s both used the top slot closest to CPU has a network adaptor module
The second slot has the Hauppage TV tuner note the third long slot is unused

So I will be able to plug the Aver duet into either the top slot where the network
Adaptor is, or the third long white slot which is unused? you can barely see it under the cooling fan.]
attached image.

or can I even plug the AVer duet tuner into the top black slot?

My TV only has one feed (coax input) but I’m using two tuners.

As for PIP I would prefer not to use the standard definition DVR for the main picture
And yes you are correct I use the Samsungs builtin TV tuner for the sub. Picture.

My DVR’s remote doe’snt have a return to last channel so when I want to swap
Pictures I have to look at the DVR to see what channel it’s currently on then think
Which channel to switch to then I have to use the TV’s remote which doe’s have a
return to last channel for the complete swap.

So doe’s the Aver duet come w/ a remote and is it capable of a return to last channel?

Aver leads me to believe they offer PIP curious to exactly how it functions?
Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #4 of 5 Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The long black slot closest to the CPU is a X16 PCI-e slot. The two small white slots are X1 PCI-e. The long white slot at the end is a PCI slot. You can defintely plug the AverTV Duet into the X16 PCI-e slot as it is backwards compatible with devices that normally require smaller slots. You cannot plug a PCI-e device into a PCI slot. There are partitions in the slots that prevent you from inserting a device into a slot it was not designed for.

I don't know if you can get the AverTV Duet packaged with a remote, but you can get an inexpensive WMC remote with IR receiver on ebay for less than $15-20.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

excellent I have two slots available for another TV tuner the PCIeX16 black slot or the small white PCIeX1 ( I have dissabled the network adaptor module just need to phsyicalley remove it).

Thanks STB

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page