MPC-HC vs MPC-BE - which one? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Its a bit confusing because MPC-BE seems to have way more fixes/changes for things MPC-HC chooses not to fix/change. What are the real advantages/disadvantages of MPC-BE player? Can it be paired up with ffdshow, LAV Video Decoder, Splitter, ReClock and madVR just as easily as MPC-HC can be? Thus far I have not found a way to make LAV Decoder, Splitter, ffsdshow and madVR work with it... It seems to be highly dependent on its customize-able internal filters. I stick with MPC-HC as my main player, but I would like to experiment with MPC-BE and possibly make it my main player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 696
For my usage at least, MPC-BE doesn't need any of the addons. It directly supports WASAPI, so it sends the correct audio to my AVR without any intermediary. I haven't had any need for any special video options, though.

It does require up-to-date DirectX drivers, but if you've been running it without its popup error message, you've already updated them.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Should I care about WASAPI? I don't have a HT, just a calibrated TV hooked to a gaming PC, which I use as HTPC. I use nVidia GeForce GTX 680 for video and also audio over HDMI hooked to TV and TV speakers. So, no fancy speakers.

I also use Astro A50 gaming headset that supports Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 over SPDIF. I use Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe and Dolby Digital Live pack for these headphones. I know they are considered to be real HT material, but they sure sound way better than TV speakers!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree: modern TVs don't come with decent speakers. The TVs are just too thin for them to fit, which is why many people invest in soundbars, headphones or surround-sound systems.

From your description, my guess is that just about any media player software would work fine. WASAPI support is important to some people (like me) because it sends the correct number of audio channels over HDMI: the number of audio channels that actually are in the source material instead of the number of channels configured in the Windows Audio control panel. This doesn't apply to your configuration, since the TV (presumably) has only stereo speakers. "Bitstreaming" over HDMI isn't a consideration either, since stereo PCM would work fine.

Selden

Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Can it be paired up with ffdshow, LAV Video Decoder, Splitter, ReClock and madVR just as easily as MPC-HC can be? Thus far I have not found a way to make LAV Decoder, Splitter, ffsdshow and madVR work with it... It seems to be highly dependent on its customize-able internal filters.
MPC-BE works just fine with all of those. It's 99% the same as MPC-HC with a better looking toolbar.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

WASAPI support is important to some people (like me) because it sends the correct number of audio channels over HDMI: the number of audio channels that actually are in the source material instead of the number of channels configured in the Windows Audio control panel.

I'm gobsmacked to read this, after reading all the problems people have with their receivers recognizing the correct number of channels from their source material. If this is a one stop solution, I'll be thrilled! Trying tonight.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B View Post

Quote:

WASAPI support is important to some people (like me) because it sends the correct number of audio channels over HDMI: the number of audio channels that actually are in the source material instead of the number of channels configured in the Windows Audio control panel.

I'm gobsmacked to read this, after reading all the problems people have with their receivers recognizing the correct number of channels from their source material. If this is a one stop solution, I'll be thrilled! Trying tonight.

There are several other media players which come with WASAPI support. MediaMonkey, XBMC, Plex and Foobar 2000 are ones that I'm aware of.

Selden

Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM

OMG, I can't believe that MPC-BE is all it takes to perfectly bitstream over HDMI to my receiver! I'm actually not faking this excitement. It's real!

Just ran through some 5.1 stuff including FLAC, DTS, Dolby Digital, and DTS HD Master Audio. All played perfectly.

Why are so many people using MPC-HC and wasting their lives configuring codecs and settings?

One question about MPC-BE now that I've set it to run externally when Media Browser Classic plays video, where is the option to close on stop?

Thank you Seldon!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

OMG, I can't believe that MPC-BE is all it takes to perfectly bitstream over HDMI to my receiver! I'm actually not faking this excitement. It's real!

Just ran through some 5.1 stuff including FLAC, DTS, Dolby Digital, and DTS HD Master Audio. All played perfectly.

Why are so many people using MPC-HC and wasting their lives configuring codecs and settings?

One question about MPC-BE now that I've set it to run externally when Media Browser Classic plays video, where is the option to close on stop?

Thank you Seldon!

Close on stop can be configured from the 'keys' option - View\Options\Keys\exit\App Command (change it to MEDIA_STOP).

The same can be achieved by downloading the stand-alone filter and adding it to mpc-hc as an external filter, this then allows access to MB's 'resume' function, which when using mpc-be there isn't.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Close on stop can be configured from the 'keys' option - View\Options\Keys\exit\App Command (change it to MEDIA_STOP).

I did this, and also tried changing the App Command to STOP and neither allowed the program to exit on stop (to return to Media Browser).
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

You do realize that all it takes in MPC-HC 1.7 is a couple of clicks to open the config, and then select which codecs you want to bitstream over HDMI?
Its not rocket science. In earlier versions (read MPC-HC 1.6 and below), this wasn't supported and needed external filters to be installed, which required more setup, but since 1.7 its extremely easy.

Most of the setup guides out there simply are outdated and are build for very old versions.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You do realize that all it takes in MPC-HC 1.7 is a couple of clicks to open the config, and then select which codecs you want to bitstream over HDMI?
Its not rocket science. In earlier versions (read MPC-HC 1.6 and below), this wasn't supported and needed external filters to be installed, which required more setup, but since 1.7 its extremely easy.

No, Nevcairiel, I don't realize this. I've struggled with it for months and have watched other people struggle with it over pages and pages of audio configuration frustration.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I use MPC-HC 1.71 version and was very easy to configure the audio using the LAV filters inside the program. When I had reinstalled my HTPC and set it up, the bitstream worked perfectly the first time without issue. I have heard about the 'BE' version of MPC but never looked into it. May check it out.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

When I tried the WASAPI support in MPC-HC V1.7.0 (aka "MPC Output Renderer"), it was rather buggy. In particular, it generated a loud staccato noise when I selected "Stop". Has this been fixed in 1.7.1?

Selden

Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I tried the WASAPI support in MPC-HC V1.7.0 (aka "MPC Output Renderer"), it was rather buggy. In particular, it generated a loud staccato noise when I selected "Stop". Has this been fixed in 1.7.1?

Can't say I've noticed it on stop - though occasionally I get it on 'pause' - no biggy really, just play, then pause again usually fixes it.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, my paranoia doesn't like the possibility that high-frequency components of the noise might be endangering the tweeters in my speakers. MPC-BE doesn't make the noise, and is close enough in its features that it seems to be a reasonable alternative.
Joshua B likes this.

Selden

Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't say I've experienced something as harsh that would damage tweeters on a speaker, but I know where you're coming from and better not to take chances. I couldn't get mpc-hc to play nicely with WASAPI and like you feel that mpc-be is a reasonable alternative, although you lose some of the functionality of MediaBrowser Classic.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

I couldn't get mpc-hc to play nicely with WASAPI and like you feel that mpc-be is a reasonable alternative, although you lose some of the functionality of MediaBrowser Classic.

What functionality did you lose?

I haven't been able to get it to exit on Stop, but that's all I can think of that's mildly annoying. It's worth it for trouble-free audio.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The 'resume' function.

Strange about your stop/exit issue. I had it briefly, but I found that I had jriver server open and that was taking focus on remote function. You got anything open that might be doing the same?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used to have this 'resume' function on MB but now I no longer have it. Any way to get it back? I do have the 'MEDIA_STOP' set to exit MPC-HC and it goes back to MB (v2.6.2) but no longer see the resume option.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

I used to have this 'resume' function on MB but now I no longer have it. Any way to get it back? I do have the 'MEDIA_STOP' set to exit MPC-HC and it goes back to MB (v2.6.2) but no longer see the resume option.

Yip - upgrade to MB3 and MediaBrowser Classic.

Seriously other than from the configurator, re-configuring the external player, I doubt there is little that can be done. Certainly if it hasn't stopped already, legacy support is close to being withdrawn, therefore while it will continue to work, no bug fixing is likely to be undertaken.

MB3 and Classic, though new are very stable and unless there is some other mitigating reasons I would recommend giving them a try.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Joshua B

The same can be achieved by downloading the stand-alone filter and adding it to mpc-hc as an external filter, this then allows access to MB's 'resume' function, which when using mpc-be there isn't.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm curious as to the current state of the MPC-BE vs MPC-HC question. I'm specifically interested in whether BE & HC are now identical in terms of supporting "resume", but generally I'd like to know what other features are missing or added in BE (which I've been using for over a year, without any serious complaints). I can't seem to find anything clear on the (Russian) support site for MPC-BE.

Can anyone elaborate why they are choosing BE over HC, or why they decided to stop using it and go back to HC?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm curious as to the current state of the MPC-BE vs MPC-HC question. I'm specifically interested in whether BE & HC are now identical in terms of supporting "resume", but generally I'd like to know what other features are missing or added in BE (which I've been using for over a year, without any serious complaints). I can't seem to find anything clear on the (Russian) support site for MPC-BE.

Can anyone elaborate why they are choosing BE over HC, or why they decided to stop using it and go back to HC?
Sorry huge - just saw your post.

There never was any difference between support for resume in BE & HC (in stand-alone use), the issue lay with MediaBrowser and using either BE or HC as an external player within it. Mediabrowser enabled HC to resume from within the Mediabrowser programme and BE didn't - and still doesn't. The dev has/had no intention of supporting BE to enable resume functionality within Mediabrowser, preferring to support HC only.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 85
What is the intended difference between these two players? Why do both exist from the same author? I still didn't really find the place in this thread where it was answered in what situations is one a better fit over the other. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

While the original code might have been by the same author, the current implementations are by different groups of people who essentially are competing with one another.

My personal experience was that the -BE version had stable WASAPI support before -HC did, which is what mattered to me.

Selden

Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are really that many of you decoding at the PC? If you're bitstreaming WASAPI makes no difference. Only if you're sending PCM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
Are really that many of you decoding at the PC? If you're bitstreaming WASAPI makes no difference. Only if you're sending PCM.
LPCM is used in the main audio track of roughly 10% of all BD movies. WASAPI exclusive mode is still essential for those who want bit-perfect audio with these movies.

Last edited by renethx; 08-31-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Correcting a grammatical error
Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 AM
V_J

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
My personal experience was that the -BE version had stable WASAPI support before -HC did, which is what mattered to me.
I think it is still no in MPC-HC... unless they added it recently? Or in a nightly build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
Two reasons...
1. I have an older amplifier (Marantz SR6001); it has HDMI 1.2 inputs (and its output is even 1.1), and as such it misses out on some newer formats (Dolby True-HD, DTS-HD, ...). But it has 7.1 analog input. So to get the newer formats, either the PC would have to convert to PCM, or just send decoded analog. Perhaps not ideal, but at least it works: bitstreaming when possible, PCM or analog when not.
2. Most amplifiers don't convert a digital signal to the analog outputs (e.g. to send audio to a second room, or to a line out); I know for instance that mine does not. Not many people may have such a configuration, but decoding in PC allows one to send an analog signal and this might allow more options on the receiver. Newer ones have HDMI multiroom, which makes this a moot point...

Jörg
Old 09-01-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Another reason for using WASAPI is to ensure the correct number of audio channels are sent to the receiver. Many computer audio formats cannot be decoded by receivers and have to be converted to LPCM when sent over HDMI.

See Which media players reconfigure HDMI to match number of source channels?

Selden

Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
LPCM is used in the main audio track of roughly 10% of all BD movies. WASAPI exclusive mode is still essential for those who want bit-perfect audio with these movies.

some of which have mono tracks, which I noticed are a problem (eg, Badlands). The realtek driver must have a bug that causes the mono track to be played from the left front channel. MPC-BE seems to play mono tracks from both front speakers (reclock and lavfilters both have the option to play mono tracks this way). But both are incorrect insofar as the correct behavior one would assume is to play from the center speaker. I haven't found a fix or workaround and realtek seems uninterested in fixing this since it's been like this for a long time.

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread...907#post239907

Last edited by mbordas; 09-25-2014 at 08:19 AM.